Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Took off on its own

Reaction score
Last summer my YTH went haywire and crashed, embarrassingly in front of a client. Yuneec UK CS were superb, I returned it to them and they did some investigating and discovered a number of faults including a GPS sensor. Happily they agreed I wasn't at fault and replaced it free of charge. Really can't fault the CS.

Having been freaked by the incident my brand new YTH has sat unopened for the past 5 months.

Yesterday I plucked up the courage to get it out the box, adding a realsense module. I decided to fly it indoors to get the confidence it won't go crazy. Ensuring GPS was off, realsense enabled, in angle mode, and OBS off I took off. It happily hovered at 10 feet no problem, holding it's position perfectly for a couple of minutes, all lookd good. But then I lost video signal. Fearing the worse I brought it down and landed fine, and put the motors in to idle. After a few seconds I heard the motors rev up, and looked up to see it start to drift along the ground. I pulled down on the left stick to reduce the power, no response, so I hit the red kill switch, nothing, it then collided with the wall and shattered 3 props.

Figuring I'd try again to see if the problem was repeatable I replaced the props, checked the drone for other damage and all looked fine. Again I checked GPS was offf, realsense enabled, in angle mode and OBS off. This time I took off and IPS disappeared and the drone became erratic as it wasn't holding position, so I landed it. Once again a few seconds after putting the motors in to idle, it revved up and attempted to fly away. Luckily I was able to get a foot on the landing gear to stop it moving away. After a number of attempts the red kill switch finally worked.

Is this normal behaviour when flying indoors with the realsense module? Did I do something silly? I can't see what I could do when my hands are off the controller to make it rev up and try and take off again. Or have I got another faulty YTH. I'm too scared to take it outside, unless perhaps I put a tether on it.

I have zero confidence in ever flying a YTH again.

It is posts like this that have me a little spooked about my purchase. I hope someone comes by with some possible answers. I have a question: Did you have a WiFi network running inside? I wish I could find the video I watched about this. I recall something about interference from other WiFi networks potentially being an issue.

Ensuring GPS was off, realsense enabled, in angle mode, and OBS off I took off.

Leave the GPS alone, turn OA OFF (leave it off). Use Angle Mode, Turtle. Area needs to be lighted. I suggest you not try it inside a house or other smaller structure. As soon as the drone lifts up, the IPS icon on the ST16 will activate.

I'd read elsewhere on the forum that GPS needed to be turned off. Have Yuneec given a definitive answer?

I was in a large warehouse type building, well lit, 30 foot height and approx 200 foot by 50 foot. No way would I attempt to fly it in my home, although I wish I had a house big enough to do so.

There is WiFi in the building, I was at the furthest end away from the office space where I can't get a WiFi signal on my phone. So if that's the source of interference it's worrying that a small sniff of it is enough to cause problems.

If it was sitting in a box for 5 months then it needs a firmware update. Follow this video step by step.

Thanks.

Sorry, should've said, updated the firmware too. Took it outside to calibrate the compass and the gimbal before flying it inside.

Thanks.

Sorry, should've said, updated the firmware too. Took it outside to calibrate the compass and the gimbal before flying it inside.
Ah, good deal. I presume you also deleted the flight data and calibrated the accelerometers.

I understand your concern about flying outside, but I think I would prefer to make sure it flies outside with GPS on as designed before trying it indoors. Take it back outside and let it sit after boot for 13 minutes with the motors off. That will give both the H and the ST16 to get an exact GPS fix. You only need to do that after a firmware update or if you move several hundred miles from the last use.

Last edited:
I was told by tech support that you leave GPS on and when it can't detect satellites it turns on ips

Reactions: Steve Carr
I was told by tech support that you leave GPS on and when it can't detect satellites it turns on ips
You are correct.
Okay then. I recalled early-on the GPS was turned off because sometimes the H would find just enough sats to actually mess up the fix and would not turn off by itself. Perhaps this was changed in the firmware. I'm glad you have more current information. Thanks

Last summer my YTH went haywire and crashed, embarrassingly in front of a client. Yuneec UK CS were superb, I returned it to them and they did some investigating and discovered a number of faults including a GPS sensor. Happily they agreed I wasn't at fault and replaced it free of charge. Really can't fault the CS.

Having been freaked by the incident my brand new YTH has sat unopened for the past 5 months.

Yesterday I plucked up the courage to get it out the box, adding a realsense module. I decided to fly it indoors to get the confidence it won't go crazy. Ensuring GPS was off, realsense enabled, in angle mode, and OBS off I took off. It happily hovered at 10 feet no problem, holding it's position perfectly for a couple of minutes, all lookd good. But then I lost video signal. Fearing the worse I brought it down and landed fine, and put the motors in to idle. After a few seconds I heard the motors rev up, and looked up to see it start to drift along the ground. I pulled down on the left stick to reduce the power, no response, so I hit the red kill switch, nothing, it then collided with the wall and shattered 3 props.

Figuring I'd try again to see if the problem was repeatable I replaced the props, checked the drone for other damage and all looked fine. Again I checked GPS was offf, realsense enabled, in angle mode and OBS off. This time I took off and IPS disappeared and the drone became erratic as it wasn't holding position, so I landed it. Once again a few seconds after putting the motors in to idle, it revved up and attempted to fly away. Luckily I was able to get a foot on the landing gear to stop it moving away. After a number of attempts the red kill switch finally worked.

Is this normal behaviour when flying indoors with the realsense module? Did I do something silly? I can't see what I could do when my hands are off the controller to make it rev up and try and take off again. Or have I got another faulty YTH. I'm too scared to take it outside, unless perhaps I put a tether on it.

I have zero confidence in ever flying a YTH again.

Was a compass calibration done before flying? Did you allow enough time for the drone and controller to sync in GPS off Angle Mode?

Was OBS in the full off position or middle position? Middle position from what I learned allows IPS, but has OBS off.

Lastly, did you leave the Calibration menu open, showing GPS off, or did you close it after turning it off? If you close that, the controller will attempt to turn GPS back on, which is something you do not want flying indoors.

Did you boot up the controller first, and then the bird and let both sit for about 7 minutes outside to update its location etc. and to ensure that everything was correctly connected and linked?

Last edited:
Was a compass calibration done before flying? Did you allow enough time for the drone and controller to sync in GPS off Angle Mode?

Was OBS in the full off position or middle position? Middle position from what I learned allows IPS, but has OBS off.

Lastly, did you leave the Calibration menu open, showing GPS off, or did you close it after turning it off? If you close that, the controller will attempt to turn GPS back on, which is something you do not want flying indoors.

Did you boot up the controller first, and then the bird and let both sit for about 7 minutes outside to update its location etc. and to ensure that everything was correctly connected and linked?

When you took it back inside, did you power off the Typhoon and then power it back on, and then make sure the controller had GPS off? The Typhoon does not like transitioning from outside to inside flying. You must treat that as a new flight after bringing it indoors.

When you have landed and the motors go to idle, the machine is still sensing position changes. The sensors naturally drift slightly, so you should shut the motors off immediately. If you don't the Typhoon may feel that it has moved slightly and try to compensate - the motors rev up as it tries to hold position. I'm not sure how quickly the kill switch works when the Typhoon thinks it's flying.

Best practice seems to be to hold the throttle down to land and then keep it down until you've pressed the red button and the motors have stopped.

To be honest, if you're trying to build your confidence in the Typhoon, I'd choose the most normal situation first before trying out things like indoor flying that aren't so well documented.

Reactions: THoff
Best practice seems to be to hold the throttle down to land and then keep it down until you've pressed the red button and the motors have stopped.

I suspect some fliers are letting the left stick go after holding it all the way back and landing. BIG MISTAKE.

I keep holding mine and gently let it go back to center, then with the same left hand press the red button down until props stop.
With 3 H's, I have never had a landing problem, wind or no wind. (Knock on wood:D)

I never let go of the throttle, keeping it pulled all the way down with my thumb until I have had a chance to reach for and press the red arming switch with my index finger.

If you let the throttle return to center (no matter how gently), you are asking the TH to hold its altitude. The barometer and GPS experience constant drifting, and if the TH thinks it lost a bit of altitude, it will apply throttle to get back up to where it thinks it should be.

Ah, good deal. I presume you also deleted the flight data and calibrated the accelerometers..

Hi Steve do I understand you correctly that all the historic flight data should be deleted off the ST16 before a new flight?

If you let the throttle return to center (no matter how gently), you are asking the TH to hold its altitude. The barometer and GPS experience constant drifting, and if the TH thinks it lost a bit of altitude, it will apply throttle to get back up to where it thinks it should be.

I'm NOT talking about hand-catching.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sao789ph