Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H distance flight - Almost lost it at around 3000 feet out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My 1st long flight and I guess I went too far for it to handle. At what looks like around 3000 feet out, I lost wifi. First it started video started lagging real bad and then it dropped completely. By that time I got about 3500 feet away. I began to panic of course and tried to turn it around. I then lost the RC signal. I thought I was done. It was out for about a minute. I had switched to RTH mode by this time hoping it would listen to me. After about a minute, RC came back and then Wifi. It was coming home. At around 2500 feet or so is when video came back.

Ok, lesson learned on how I need to pay more attention on how far I go out. But I do have another question. From what I read, the Typhoon H can go a mile out. 3500 feet is about 2/3 of a mile. And I know I lost video at less than 3000. Is this normal or do I have something wrong with my typhoon H?

Thanks

Dude - just because the H claims to have a distance of "1 mile", doesn't mean that it either can or should be flown like that. If you look into the legalities, you are only supposed to be flying LOS (Line of Sight). By all means, fly whatever way you want to, but please don't advertise this type of carelessness over the internet as it is scenarios like this that place further unnecessary restrictions on us.

By the way, the speedo on my car goes up to 180, yet the speed limit is 100. Do you think it's a good idea that I still try and reach 180 on the roads?

My 1st long flight and I guess I went too far for it to handle. At what looks like around 3000 feet out, I lost wifi. First it started video started lagging real bad and then it dropped completely. By that time I got about 3500 feet away. I began to panic of course and tried to turn it around. I then lost the RC signal. I thought I was done. It was out for about a minute. I had switched to RTH mode by this time hoping it would listen to me. After about a minute, RC came back and then Wifi. It was coming home. At around 2500 feet or so is when video came back.

Ok, lesson learned on how I need to pay more attention on how far I go out. But I do have another question. From what I read, the Typhoon H can go a mile out. 3500 feet is about 2/3 of a mile. And I know I lost video at less than 3000. Is this normal or do I have something wrong with my typhoon H?

Thanks
Mr.Choke you need to more responsible, dang!:mad:

Dude - just because the H claims to have a distance of "1 mile", doesn't mean that it either can or should be flown like that. If you look into the legalities, you are only supposed to be flying LOS (Line of Sight). By all means, fly whatever way you want to, but please don't advertise this type of carelessness over the internet as it is scenarios like this that place further unnecessary restrictions on us.

By the way, the speedo on my car goes up to 180, yet the speed limit is 100. Do you think it's a good idea that I still try and reach 180 on the roads?

I had no idea I had gone that far DUDE. It was my first flight past my yard basically. Does the controller tell me how far away the drone is? I sure don't see it. If it does, by all means let me know. And I did have LOS by the way but granted yes it was quite small.

Regarding your car comparison, its a bogus comparison. If the spec says 1 mile and falls quite short of that, is that not an issue? If I was in a 3 mile empty corn field and I only got 2/3 of a mile but I could have easily seen it at 1 mile is that OK that its performing well below spec?

UPDATE: Just did search on "typhoon H max distance". Tons of youtube videos came up on doing long flights, in excess of a mile. They certainly lost LOS. Should we hunt down all these guys and take their drones away?

Last edited:
Reactions: cdadanny
Searching the internet, I see they offer this for like $125:
FPVLR Yuneec Typhoon H Long Range Antenna Kit

To help make sure I don't almost lose it again, does anyone know how well these work?

Take s good, hard look at the ST-16 screen again with the H and 16 turned on. It shows distance, height, GPS state for AC and controller, battery state for both, the way home, flight mode, and tools. You only need to open your eyes. Ignorance is not bliss, it's indefensible.

there is a area on the left of the display for distance and altitude and gps coordinants

Take s good, hard look at the ST-16 screen again with the H and 16 turned on. It shows distance, height, GPS state for AC and controller, battery state for both, the way home, flight mode, and tools. You only need to open your eyes. Ignorance is not bliss, it's indefensible.

OMG! It does show it. The "DIS" at the bottom. I am an idiot then. Sheesh. Ok, well I will watch this much closer now. Thanks.

Reactions: pctyphoon
the fpvlr work well but are directional so keep them pointed in the right direction. also make sure to set your return to home altitude for your situation

OMG! It does show it. The "DIS" at the bottom. I am an idiot then. Sheesh. Ok, well I will watch this much closer now. Thanks.
LoL baby steps, its a lot of fun. Dont show off thats when things go wrong, always check your switch positions before fliying too.

Oh my. I believe I'd have kept quiet about that.:cool:
And I thought the auto analogy was valid. Even in KPH.:rolleyes:

the fpvlr work well but are directional so keep them pointed in the right direction. also make sure to set your return to home altitude for your situation

So for these FPVLR antennas they give you two different ones. However, my ST-16 has three antennas. Two straight ones and a mushroom one. Are these compatible?

Accidentally? But want to know how to fly farther?

That's OK, I've done far worse. Here's what I added to my 3 antenna ST16. Installs in a minute, works and looks great.
Good luck to you.
RaptorSR-4Hawks.jpg

Accidentally? But want to know how to fly farther?

That's OK, I've done far worse. Here's what I added to my 3 antenna ST16. Installs in a minute, works and looks great.
Good luck to you.
View attachment 6923

Hmmm, what is that? It doesn't look FPVLR.

And yes it was an accident. I had forgotten about the DIS number I could have been reading. But to be honest, I should know what its limits are right? The spec says 5280 feet, I only got 2800 or so safely. How else would I know?

My response was not with regard to the distance. Do that often enough and the cost if replacing your H is chastisement enough. There's an old saying that a fool and his money are soon parted. Mine was in response to the claim you had no way of knowing, which was false. BTW, the flight time and distance advertised for the H include the words "up to". Up to does not mean will, does, or anything of the sort. It means it might, or can, when all else is right. The warnings also state the aircraft is to be operated within line of sight. You lost sight of it well before achieving 2800 or so feet. You have no legally valid reason to fly further than line of sight. Those of us that have been flying these things with no problems aren't dumb, and recognize when we're being fed a line of crap.

If you had lost you H and it had hit someone, you might have later found the end of the world might be a better alternative than what you could be awarded.

I guess it could be possible to reach 1 mile with stock antenas on perfect conditions, but we usually fly in very "noisy" locations jammed with lots of wifi signals, cellphones, radio stations, etc which I believe could reduce max distance.

Back on January I lost video and RC almost simultaneously at around 2000 feet away from me. When I reviewed the flight path I realized I lost communication when I was getting close to a field with some antennas, one of which is a Veeery tall radio antena (I didn't notice I was flying towards the antenna field, I was trying not to lose sight of the tiny black speck the H was at that point).

antena.jpg

For reference, at the left side, where the tall antenna's tensioner lines meet the ground (dont know if that's the correct term) There's a regular gray cellphone tower.

The aircraft was maybe around 390ft away from the tallest antena, but I believe the noise from all the antennas around contributed to a sudden loss of communications

Anyway, when reviewing the video I saw that as soon as the H lost contact with the ground station it hovered for a coulpe of seconds and started heading home. When I realized I had lost telemetry on the remote I switched to Home mode as well, a few seconds latter when RC was restablished the H kept on Home mode.

I knew the H is supposed to enter Home mode when it loses communications for more than a few seconds, but that was the only time I actually experienced that. I stopped flying around that location, pretty scary heheh.

Greetings!

Hmmm, what is that? It doesn't look FPVLR.

And yes it was an accident. I had forgotten about the DIS number I could have been reading. But to be honest, I should know what its limits are right? The spec says 5280 feet, I only got 2800 or so safely. How else would I know?
Just because something has a warning label on it that says "Hot" does not mean you should touch it see if they are correct. The point people are trying to stress to you that you do not want to acknowledge, is that line of sight is how you should be flying. We are all on this forum for support to one another. We are all also trying to get more credibility to what we do as recreational users and business owners. If people are blatantly going against that with total disregard for safety to others, ie people on the ground that you can not see, perhaps this may not be the forum for you or even the craft for you. A lot of us are in battles with our governments about the tight restrictions they have placed on us, but with how you have openly stated that you have and can do no wrong, this only validates what the law makers are saying. If you can not see your drone in flight, you risk the safety of people on the ground, aircraft that you obviously will not be able to see, and even other drone pilots that may be flying as well. Get beyond your own personal gains and try to consider the bigger picture. It is not just about you. This forum can be a great place to gain knowledge and learn from the experience of other more seasoned pilots. It is very evident that you have poked the bear with a lot of users on here and justly so the replies are warranted, but we all try to learn from our mistakes. Hopefully you take what people have said on here as constructive criticism. I can tell you this much, if you tried to pull that here in Canada, you would be facing federal charges.

Last edited:
I have been out 4k feet one time to test only. I normally fly LOS but manytimes the H is very tiny to the eye. These were pretty far out but I could still see the H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smyers