Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video Editing Software

PatR

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Anyone else tried Filmora? I've been looking for something that doesn't have a steep learning curve, will handle 4k, and is generally effective enough to allow quick editing and still look relatively good.

I gave the free trial version a go and thought it good enough to buy, which gets rid of the garish watermark. Since I'm committed I'm hoping to hear from others that have tried it that might warn of things to watch out for.

Thanks

Pat, I'm anxious to hear about your experience with Filmora.
I've been using CyberLink PowerDirector (now version 14) for several years and am quite happy with it. It has enough features for me and handles 4k quite well. Price is comparable to Filmora.

I just started working with it today but so far it's not bad considering I'm deliberately working with files shot under an afternoon overcast, into the sun, with lots of snow. The interface is somewhat intuitive and doesn't have that mad scientist laboratory, spaceship to Mars panel complexity that Capture 1, Vegas, and a few others bless us with. I don't want to spend half a lifetime figuring out what does what and where it was the last time I used it. There are some "hidden" features that aren't at first obvious but clicking on a few things and making repeated test videos using the same clips over and over is letting me figure them out. There's some useful open source music in it, and you can save a video in many file formats, as well as adjust bit rate somewhat. $59.00 for a lifetime license isn't too bad for what I see so far.

I've got Sony's Capture1 Pro and tons of add on's but my graphics card can't handle it. If it was a desk top that would not be much of a deal but it's a big deal for a lap top. Kinda ticks me off that I have a 4k machine running Intel i7 and a terabyte hard drive but a crap graphics card. Such is life. I also have the Go Pro Studio, Movie Maker, and just noticed Power Director that I have never opened up to look at. Gotta try that one now too. Crap....

Give Lightworks a look. Everything you would need and you can edit in 'proxy' mode so that you are editing low res files and swapping out to the hi-res when you create the final export. There is a free version (limits you to 720p output) but the full version is only $150.

I just downloaded the Filmora trial and edited up a little 4k video from original Yuneec files to compare with a video that I had previously edited in PowerDirector. Several things stand out right away:
1. Filmora has a very logical editing procedure with most features easy to find. In PD, some functions are not that obvious. Once you find them, that's not a problem.
2. Filmora's has lots of special filters and effects that can be used to drastically alter the appearance of the video. I have little use for those.
3. The particular video I tested was shot during a gray sunset. So everything was a bit drab. I tried the Auto Enhance function in Filmora to make things a more punchy. The results were better but not as good as PD's Auto Enhance function. Filmora's was a bit too much of everything.
4. Filmora has pretty good manual color tuning functions. The presets are for more drastic effects.
5. I did not find any sharpening controls in Filmora. PD has a sharpening slider.
6. Filmora has only one 4k output format (.mp4) where PD has several options.
7. Filmora handled my 4k test project smoothly and quickly, comparable to PD14. The test file was not very large. It remains to be seen how it handles a large file (>10 min).
8. If I break a large project into <10 minute pieces, render them and reassemble the rendered files and re-render the long version, will there be a loss of image quality? In PD, if a footage has already been rendered in the output format, it doesn't waste time or quality to re-render that segment. It just passes it through to the new file.
9. I'm working on a Win10 64-bit desktop with relatively recent i7 processor, a mid-range video card and lots of RAM. How these programs run on a non-graphics specific laptop remains to be seen.

Reactions: DB1
First go round with the PixAero and Filmora. It's the only battery I've put through the new H so far. Weather has been crap.

I share your sentiments about the filters. I have no use for them.

When you started to do your panning it looked to me like the video started to jump or studder. Not sure if you see this in the video. If you do is this caused by the software or setting on the camera perhaps? When you where going straight out and back again I did not see that happening.

The jump was my fault. My fingers were cold and I rotated the pan knob too quickly, too much. It happens when I stopped the pan too when the pan knob was reset to the the center position. There is also a shudder in the middle of the pan when I adjusted tilt that I think was induced by temperature. I've experienced that before with my other H. It wasn't super cold at 30* but I had been outside awhile with the H and not using gloves. My fingers were getting a bit twitchy by the third pass. I was also a little apprehensive after the final flight of my other H.

This H had been sitting in the house for almost a month and had yet to be flown. The flight was its first and I wanted to establish that it worked so the flight had three components. Straight out and straight back with the camera forward, straight out with the camera facing to the side to see if there would be any impact on what the lens captured, and a hover and spin to play the gimbal in the cold. By that point my fingers were done. The pan was performed at a too fast a rotation rate and was reduced in speed 50% during post, which may have amplified the first jump. I haven't used speed adjustment in post before. I did not add any stabilization in post. I'm looking forward to a flight when it warms up a bit and I can get more time in the air with it.

Total test flight done in a rush and I sort of blew out exposure. The PixAero lens is really nice but it will take a little getting used to how it deals with light compared to the stock lens. This was also the first time I had used the histogram in the H software. I don't think it's as accurate as those in my land cameras. When setting up the shots it reflected center weighted lighting. Post indicated exposure was heavily weighted to the right/white side of the scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I shoot 4K 30 fps shutter @1/60th to 120th and export 1080P at 60fps with Filmora. This has given me the best quality and smoothest panning. Seems 30fps 1080p or 4K is not smooth.

I've seen that too but it seems somewhat influenced by shutter speed. I haven't been shooting in 4k because I couldn't effectively process it. That will be changing with the addition of Filmora.

What was crazy was me forgetting I had two video editors that I had never used. Too many things going at once I guess, along with a senior moment or three.

I went through the process recently of searching for decent video editing software at a decent price and I ended up getting the new Power Director 15 suite, which also comes with audio and color editing/correction companion programs depending on the version you get.

The interface is very intuitive and easy to grasp. There are some hidden software features you have to initially search out, but the help and index screens do a good job of getting you where you need to be going. Final output is what you'd expect, and you have a good deal of control over many important factors along the way that will dictate what you end up with. All in all, it was the best PC video editing software I found for the price, having come from a Mac background solely. (Spent most of my earlier life as a graphic artist and print journalist, two worlds in which the graphic-intense Macs ruled.)

One additional benefit of using Power Director 15 is the unlimited online access you get for the thousands of templates and video effects they offer you for free, for everything from text titles and credits to image special effects, scene transitions and much more. There are a lot of them that you will never use, but I was surprised at just how many really decent and useful freebies they have, and apparently more are generated daily.

FYI: Customer service for Cyberlink, creators of PD15, is outsourced, so do not expect an English-speaking representative if you need to call them. Not a big deal for me and just a normal part of living in a modern global market economy, but undeniably frustrating when you have a relatively simple question to ask and basic communication is thwarted due to this language barrier. I bring this up only because telephone customer support at Cyberlink is available only if you purchase it separately, which I did, for something like $29, if I recall correctly, for two months. I had a simple question for them, got through to them and discussed my issue, but I hung up the phone no more enlightened than I was from the get go. Still, not a big problem. I figured out the answer for myself and realized I'll probably never have a reason to call them again in the next two months, so I wouldn't spring for the telephone support option if you ultimately settled on this product.

Good luck finding the package you're looking for. DaVinci Resolve's free version has a lot to offer, too, but my initial impression of that software was it would require a fair amount of time investment to learn it adequately to call yourself proficient with it, although I gather some folks use Resolve just in post production for the plethora of photographic and video enhancements and editing options it offers. In my case - and I'm sure you can relate to this - I have to be time conscious about such matters as there simply are not enough hours in the average day to live, work, fly, travel back and forth, download and edit what I captured, put it through post production, and then disseminate it. To add to that a time commitment of several hours a day to better understand a photo/video editing platform is, unfortunately, just not practical or in the cards for me.

I certainly understand the time restraints but I'm be retiring from my career job in a couple months. From that point on I either get busy with the area work or get conscripted for yard work....

I agree iMovie is on-par editing 4k content (If you are a Mac user). I am really liking Final Cut Pro. For the price, the learning curve is negligible due to the controls being on-par with iMovie.

I have two laptops myself. One, a mac air and an older laptop running Windows 10. I was trying to find a good editor. I really love Adobe Premiere Pro CC, but I dislike the subscription!! My windows laptop has a larger screen than my Mac, thus me trying to find a good windows program. But... After doing some research, I decided to stick editing with my Mac air (Upgraded i7 processor, max memory, and hdd). It's a bit slower editing/rendering 4k content, but I'm happy with it, despite it's size.

I agree iMovie is on-par editing 4k content (If you are a Mac user). I am really liking Final Cut Pro. For the price, the learning curve is negligible due to the controls being on-par with iMovie.

I have two laptops myself. One, a mac air and an older laptop running Windows 10. I was trying to find a good editor. I really love Adobe Premiere Pro CC, but I dislike the subscription!! My windows laptop has a larger screen than my Mac, thus me trying to find a good windows program. But... After doing some research, I decided to stick editing with my Mac air (Upgraded i7 processor, max memory, and hdd). It's a bit slower editing/rendering 4k content, but I'm happy with it, despite it's size.
I have a late 2013 spec MB Pro, fully loaded with SSD etc. Deals with 4K no problem whatsoever and spits out the rendered results in no time.
Gives the cooling fans a good workout though.
Macs were made for this kind of thing

ROFL, my Macbook Air's fans are constantly on, but no issues!!

I have been debating on getting a Mac Pro, or an iMac with Retina 5k (Specs: 27", with 4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GH, 16GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2TB Fusion Drive, and AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB video memory.)

Mac Pro is a bit pricey, but I'm receiving a good chunk of change back from the IRS/State... I am leaning towards the iMac. ;)

Fraggboy, I would go Mac every time. They certainly cost more but the build and reliability is second to none. My MBPro has NEVER crashed of failed in any way. During its life my wife has had 2 (and now needs a 3rd) windows laptops at over £750 a piece!
The 5K mac is good but it seems to come a little under spec in other areas compared to retina models.
One last tip, do you know anyone in college?
If you do they can buy the Mac for you direct from apples education store through their college network.
Discounts are massive, full apple cover comes for around £30 instead of a couple of hundred and you will get around 15 - 20% off the machine.
Another thing about mac and macbook is they have a formidable resale value, I can get about 70% of my machines cost if I sell it today.
Leasing mac is also an option worth considering.

No, I don't work for Apple, I am a property developer.

Reactions: CC Rider
mcbutler, I am with you regarding mac. I enjoy best of both worlds (Windows 10 and MacOS)!

I boosted up most of the specs on the 27" iMac. I could have opted for more memory 32GB, and an SSD drive, but that's about it. It doesn't come close to a Mac Pro by no means! It's no slouch also! I gave my GF my older Macbook Pro (Right before the Retina models came out. It has the DVD Drive.) I added a 1TB SSD drive, and it's still peppy to this day (She's a designer and uses AutoCAD).

I am familiar with their education discounts as well as their resale value!!

Do not upgrade your Mac memory at purchase. Get the base amount, kingston sell the iMac modules and you will save a fortune upgrading after purchase, it is super easy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss