Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Why the "H" didn't my H land? Advice! :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This video may help.

Note that the motors must spool down when you land - they return to making the lower pitched noise like they make at start up. You must also be on a level surface. If that's not the case, the Typhoon will try to take off again.

The distance of 26' only applies in Smart mode - it will not come closer to you than that, and if you make the mistake of approaching it during landing, it can move away. That has caused a few crashes (the first instinct is to run towards it if something goes wrong), but doesn't apply to your experience from what you've said. Once you're in the air, you can fly close to trees, buildings and anything else you want - if you have obstacle avoidance off and use Angle mode, you can even hand catch it (we let Phantom owners land things at their feet, we don't need to bend down ;) ).

It's confusing that the Typhoon does handle differently to the Phantom. However, it shouldn't scare you - it's just something to get used to. Once you're past that, I hope you have a great time flying it!

Peace!

I had no idea I was extolling the virtures of DJI. They would be thrilled to hear that, since I am having a horrid experience in trying to contact them. With a customer related matter. No drama. Just waiting for a refund I should have gotten over a month ago. Their support is lacking! I was thrilled to read (every time) that Yuneec is very good to deal with. I can't post my full reply!

I'll go with that.

2lip,

Your first post was mighty disparaging of the H while extolling the virtues of your "other branded" products. Some of us have experience with them as well, but not with the level of satisfaction you have. I'm fairly aligned with what Rayray stated when he mentioned staying with what you already have if you are happy with them. We see far too many posts from DJI owners, users, shills in this forum not to be up to our eyebrows fed up with them.

As for why it didn't land and my two word description. I'll start with the latter. "User error" is by far the largest reason for H issues. From operation to firmware updates it's generally the user that did something wrong that caused them problems. That error may have been unwitting, through ignorance, laziness, haste, or just a refusal to follow procedures. No, the manual is not very good but some are trying to put together reference information that is considerably more comprehensive for those that elect to review it. People coming from other systems, especially those that have a lot of time with other systems, myself included, have a tendency to operate the H in a manner similar to what they had been flying before. They will find they can run into problems going that route. I certainly did after spending considerable time with Wookong, APM, Pixhawk, and Vector flight controllers. We have to start fresh and take a little time to learn the differences in the H before jumping to the advanced features. Learn to crawl, then walk, before trying to run. Get the foundations solid before trying to build the roof.

When landing the H we must hold the throttle stick down for a few moments after touchdown before the motors spool down. Failing that, if we immediately let off the throttle after touchdown the system will spin the motors back up to flight speed. If we are not prepared for that we may be holding some amount of yaw, pitch, or roll in the sticks we were not aware of because in our minds we had already quit flying. The condition reminds me of a full scale adage of never quit flying the airplane until it is parked, engine off, and tied down. So if we are inputting anything for the flight controls the H is going to run with that as soon as it leaves the ground. It can be both startling and confusing for the operator. If your H was not in Smart mode that could have been what happened to you.

I can't speak for RealSense as I don't have it. I have OA but have never used it since it has only once that I have had the H in a position to make use of it but using it would have prevented me from getting the shot I was after. Your camera repair looks to be a fairly simple one. If any of the damper balls have been lost they can be easily obtained from either Yuneec or a dealer. I would go with a dealer because they can get things out the door a little faster than Yuneec can. Yuneec has absolutely superb customer service but they have to deal with more people every day than a dealer does. CarolinaDronz or Vertigo would be the direction I would take if it were mine. If you still have gimbal control and video from the camera the wiring is likely a matter of removing a few small screws from the front of the gimbal arm and stuffing the wires back up into it. If it's worse than that and needs to go back for factory repair, call Yuneec and tell them exactly what happened without any drama or embellishments. If you go that way I think you find they will take **** good care of you.

I too am offering an olive branch but bear in mind I don't care about DJI stuff. Been there, done that. I left another forum because of all the DJI fan boys and don't need that BS here, they have their own forum to play in. In turn I try not to beat on DJI unless and until their ilk tries to start something here. Initially, that's what I thought your first post was all about. I hope I took it the wrong way and I'll move forward on that basis. In any event, once this is straightened out and you get some time on your H I think you'll like it. It is certainly different from what you have been flying but that's not a bad thing. Tools have different applications so I'm certain you'll find applications where the H works better for a job than a Phantom, just as a Phantom will be better for some jobs than the H. I am absolutely certain you'll find the gimbal on the H better than anything you have used yet with a consumer drone.

In closing, welcome to the forum, sorry to learn you had a problem, and hopefully you will be back in the air quickly.

I'll go with that.

2lip,

Your first post was mighty disparaging of the H while extolling the virtues of your "other branded" products. Some of us have experience with them as well, but not with the level of satisfaction you have. I'm fairly aligned with what Rayray stated when he mentioned staying with what you already have if you are happy with them. We see far too many posts from DJI owners, users, shills in this forum not to be up to our eyebrows fed up with them.

As for why it didn't land and my two word description. I'll start with the latter. "User error" is by far the largest reason for H issues. From operation to firmware updates it's generally the user that did something wrong that caused them problems. That error may have been unwitting, through ignorance, laziness, haste, or just a refusal to follow procedures. No, the manual is not very good but some are trying to put together reference information that is considerably more comprehensive for those that elect to review it. People coming from other systems, especially those that have a lot of time with other systems, myself included, have a tendency to operate the H in a manner similar to what they had been flying before. They will find they can run into problems going that route. I certainly did after spending considerable time with Wookong, APM, Pixhawk, and Vector flight controllers. We have to start fresh and take a little time to learn the differences in the H before jumping to the advanced features. Learn to crawl, then walk, before trying to run. Get the foundations solid before trying to build the roof.

When landing the H we must hold the throttle stick down for a few moments after touchdown before the motors spool down. Failing that, if we immediately let off the throttle after touchdown the system will spin the motors back up to flight speed. If we are not prepared for that we may be holding some amount of yaw, pitch, or roll in the sticks we were not aware of because in our minds we had already quit flying. The condition reminds me of a full scale adage of never quit flying the airplane until it is parked, engine off, and tied down. So if we are inputting anything for the flight controls the H is going to run with that as soon as it leaves the ground. It can be both startling and confusing for the operator. If your H was not in Smart mode that could have been what happened to you.

I can't speak for RealSense as I don't have it. I have OA but have never used it since it has only once that I have had the H in a position to make use of it but using it would have prevented me from getting the shot I was after. Your camera repair looks to be a fairly simple one. If any of the damper balls have been lost they can be easily obtained from either Yuneec or a dealer. I would go with a dealer because they can get things out the door a little faster than Yuneec can. Yuneec has absolutely superb customer service but they have to deal with more people every day than a dealer does. CarolinaDronz or Vertigo would be the direction I would take if it were mine. If you still have gimbal control and video from the camera the wiring is likely a matter of removing a few small screws from the front of the gimbal arm and stuffing the wires back up into it. If it's worse than that and needs to go back for factory repair, call Yuneec and tell them exactly what happened without any drama or embellishments. If you go that way I think you find they will take **** good care of you.

I too am offering an olive branch but bear in mind I don't care about DJI stuff. Been there, done that. I left another forum because of all the DJI fan boys and don't need that BS here, they have their own forum to play in. In turn I try not to beat on DJI unless and until their ilk tries to start something here. Initially, that's what I thought your first post was all about. I hope I took it the wrong way and I'll move forward on that basis. In any event, once this is straightened out and you get some time on your H I think you'll like it. It is certainly different from what you have been flying but that's not a bad thing. Tools have different applications so I'm certain you'll find applications where the H works better for a job than a Phantom, just as a Phantom will be better for some jobs than the H. I am absolutely certain you'll find the gimbal on the H better than anything you have used yet with a consumer drone.

In closing, welcome to the forum, sorry to learn you had a problem, and hopefully you will be back in the air quickly.

Peace!

I had no idea I was extolling the virtures of DJI. They would be thrilled to hear that, since I am having a horrid experience in trying to contact them. With a customer related matter. No drama. Just waiting for a refund I should have gotten over a month ago. Their support is lacking! I was thrilled to read (every time) that Yuneec is very good to deal with. I can't post my full reply!

Sorry to learn you're having two bad experiences at the same time. I won't even try to guess how the first will turn out but this one will end up to the good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for the H - I knew I was in angle mode - and on turtle speed. It was when it was within several inches of landing that it developed the heebie jeebies and that's when chaos broke out. It was as if a wind tunnel blew in and tossed it to and fro. But it didn't. But it t just acted as if it had. . It wouldn't even hover.

I am a new pilot, and the H is my first machine, other than a nano quad for training... because of this I have no frame of reference
of other models or brands, when the H starts to exhibit this type of behavior. But when it does start to become erratic, I have become
a huge proponent of hand catching as the safest and most logical solution.

Reactions: CC Rider
On the chance it was "toilet bowling", should anyone experience this be sure to calibrate the compass and accelerometers before the next flight.

Something I wasn't very succinct with earlier;
2lip,
I apologize for being so harsh..

Last edited:
Is it possible to remove legs to replace landing gear?

The landing struts are a one bolt removal. Replacement struts are only $10 each.

Last edited:
Read the last notice

Attachments

• 20170108_061625.png
    20170108_061625.png
    288.5 KB · Views: 36
Good morning,

Last night I just couldn't get my comments posted. I finally added just one paragraph and called it quits. I"m not
necessarily a quitter but believe my pc needed a time out. (no, i never shut it off, it is on all the time).

So, first I want to introduce myself.

Yes, i'm a girl.... 2lip does translate to Tulip - you know sometimes a login wants a number. So, that worked.
I'm a geek. Full on tech geek. Tech junkie. And work in the arts field. Art nerd.
I've been told those 2 (tech/art) - are diametrically opposed, but it works for me.
I'm very much a 'girly girl'... not a tomboy, or a 'tom girl'. :)
Girly girl. Odd mix, I know.
I'm not easily impressed. Or easily influenced. Nor easily intimidated.
Forget all the above and don't all of a sudden treat me differently - or marginalize me - here I'm just 'one of the guys' - just another poster who seeks guidance, other's wisdom and experiences, and hopes to contribute.
(there has to be other females on here! surely!!!) :)

2lip

I do believe I was too low. Sometimes I have a problem with spatial distance. With the H, I think I must be hyer vigilant on that point. But I still wonder that even on 'turtle mode' if I was trying to go TOO slow.

I've been trying to read all posts in the 'new manual' thread - I do believe the vast majority of manuals are written by those who are very familiar with the product, and think the new owner is, too. LOL

Read the last notice

Thanks - this is good. When I took the H out, I wasn't 'overly confident' having flown others before. In fact I almost had NO confidence, and zero mental ability at this point - which is quite unusual for me. But I do tend to 'err on the side of caution" - and I really didn't do much other than go up about 50 feet and let it hover while i fiddled with the camera (which I was super excited to try)... and land. And that didn't go well. I can't say my confidence dipped any lower, I was just perplexed as to why it was acting that way. I am used to catching in the air rather than landing and I'm not sure why I even decided to let it land. Just going through the paces, apparently. Being orderly and logical and all. Which I'm not all the time :) ...

Question: Do you think it wise - or not - to fly some more - only remove the gimbal/camera for a few more landings? (though I'm pretty sure I will be catching in the air).... one reason I started doing that is I'm hardly ever at a level surface - that day I was. Must have been for amusements sake, then :)

However, wise or not? to remove gimbal and camera and learn the H's quirks and nuances. (I might still refer to H as 'Inez, though). I don't have any sisters. Only brothers .....

2lip

This video may help.

Note that the motors must spool down when you land - they return to making the lower pitched noise like they make at start up. You must also be on a level surface. If that's not the case, the Typhoon will try to take off again.

The distance of 26' only applies in Smart mode - it will not come closer to you than that, and if you make the mistake of approaching it during landing, it can move away. That has caused a few crashes (the first instinct is to run towards it if something goes wrong), but doesn't apply to your experience from what you've said. Once you're in the air, you can fly close to trees, buildings and anything else you want - if you have obstacle avoidance off and use Angle mode, you can even hand catch it (we let Phantom owners land things at their feet, we don't need to bend down ;) ).

It's confusing that the Typhoon does handle differently to the Phantom. However, it shouldn't scare you - it's just something to get used to. Once you're past that, I hope you have a great time flying it!

Did you use up the 10000 word limit so I couldn't respond? LOL

2lip

I'll go with that.

2lip,

I can't speak for RealSense as I don't have it. I have OA but have never used it since it has only once that I have had the H in a position to make use of it but using it would have prevented me from getting the shot I was after. Your camera repair looks to be a fairly simple one. If any of the damper balls have been lost they can be easily obtained from either Yuneec or a dealer. I would go with a dealer because they can get things out the door a little faster than Yuneec can. Yuneec has absolutely superb customer service but they have to deal with more people every day than a dealer does. CarolinaDronz or Vertigo would be the direction I would go for small parts if it were mine. If you still have gimbal control and video from the camera the wiring is likely a matter of removing a few small screws from the front of the gimbal arm and stuffing the wires back up into it. If it's worse than that and needs to go back for factory repair, call Yuneec and tell them exactly what happened without any drama or embellishments. If you go that way I think you find they will take **** good care of you.

Thank you for your kind words.

I don't belong to any other 'drone forum' - and I knew this might be rocky - (like my first landing)....and I'm truly sorry if some thing I was pandering to 'another product' - but in hindsight I guess reading my good experiences (though briefly) and my first BAD experience with my new H - would be off putting. Profuse apologies to all!

But But But I can tell you some bad stuff........ :)

2lip
who thanks you all for extending my entrance........ in a very positive way.

Sorry to learn you're having two bad experiences at the same time. I won't even try to guess how the first will turn out but this one will end up to the good.

Didn't know there was a count limit. A couple things though. You don't have to quote if you don't want to. You can quote but cut parts out of the original in order to address a specific part, or just free verse starting from scratch. Being fairly accomplished at reading and back referencing I'm pretty sure I'll pick up the talking points. Another option is to send m a PM where you could let loose with both barrels if you feel a need. I promise to be nice:)

I've been told I can be quite verbose with my writing. It's a fault I have yet to correct, leaving it to the tech writers to filter down to essentials.

Good early afternoon,

I am used to catching - but I believe in my mindset that day I was going to 'follow procedure' go by the manual, quick start guide, you tube, etc.) - rather than my own instincts. I also think there is another factor at play here. I'm very tiny. And tiny people have tiny arms - both width and length - and I wanted to be a it more at ease with my H (see? I said MY H rather than THE H!) - that's more likely the true reason I didn't follow my gut.

I appreciate you adding this comment.

As for your 'Eagle Eye' - I do monitor eagle nests, and this fall got to do some 'off season' inspections of some nests. I hope to have my H join me on those excursions next time. For the next few months, it's cameras and scopes only as I monitor the nests and activities.

I am a new pilot, and the H is my first machine, other than a nano quad for training... because of this I have no frame of reference
of other models or brands, when the H starts to exhibit this type of behavior. But when it does start to become erratic, I have become
a huge proponent of hand catching as the safest and most logical solution.

Be careful with those nest inspections. You likely already know how territorial they can be. They have many times demonstrated a propensity to attack an RC plane or multirotor. They always win.

Reactions: 2lip and ChadCloses
Thanks - this is good. When I took the H out, I wasn't 'overly confident' having flown others before. In fact I almost had NO confidence, and zero mental ability at this point - which is quite unusual for me. But I do tend to 'err on the side of caution" - and I really didn't do much other than go up about 50 feet and let it hover while i fiddled with the camera (which I was super excited to try)... and land. And that didn't go well. I can't say my confidence dipped any lower, I was just perplexed as to why it was acting that way. I am used to catching in the air rather than landing and I'm not sure why I even decided to let it land. Just going through the paces, apparently. Being orderly and logical and all. Which I'm not all the time :) ...

Question: Do you think it wise - or not - to fly some more - only remove the gimbal/camera for a few more landings? (though I'm pretty sure I will be catching in the air).... one reason I started doing that is I'm hardly ever at a level surface - that day I was. Must have been for amusements sake, then :)

However, wise or not? to remove gimbal and camera and learn the H's quirks and nuances. (I might still refer to H as 'Inez, though). I don't have any sisters. Only brothers .....

2lip
There is no problem flying the H without the camera/gimbal in fact it might be a good idea to do that until you get everything else working correctly. I would not fly again without recalibrating the IMU and compass.

Reactions: 2lip and Rayray
I'm not the expert here, but personally I would just go for it, camera and all, in your learning/practice flights so that you are maneuvering the exact same aircraft - fully loaded - as you will be in the future, unless you plan on just using your H sans camera.

I wouldn't let my first unfortunate bad experience with the H deter me or stop me from getting it up again ASAP and riding that horse again, especially since you DO have prior drone experience.

The Typhoon is a dream to fly. If I were you, I'd approach the H with an eye to due caution until you're familiarity with it increases but embracing ALL that it can do, which is darn near everything. Good luck and good flying!

P.S. As far as hand catching any drone, I think you all are crazy doing that!! I know it's popular and doable, but I so far haven't been able to bring myself to try it yet. Same with sky diving. I like the idea, but I don't think the man has been born yet who could throw me out of a perfectly fine airplane flying in the sky!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2lip
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital