Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

2-24 Firmware V3.03 and ST16 B30 - Post Your Results Here

What are your results with the new Feb. 2017 Firmware

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have flight logs since day one , as in before i purchased the drone (i suspect testing) to current showing the drone in the middle of the ocean at 0.00lat/0.00 longitude as per picture. I expect such data to be present whilst it is on the ground searching/ connecting to gps but not once i have full sats and am in the air.
Yesterday the drone was non responsive again drifting heavily, as mentioned in last post i had completed all prestart checks etc and sats were good.but i must say i had to wait an eternity cor the h to connect.
Revieiwing the log it again shows the start in the ocean for approx 6 minutes even though i was actually flying by my house in Australia.
Further to this was an motor failure error in the same log despite the drone not having a motor issue. The st16 also showed no warning of a motor failure.

So it's all boxed up to go back again, if i could somehow get my money back i would definitely buy something else. Seei g the mavic connect in seconds hover completely still and cost half the money is depressing.

If you ever flew home made quads with for example the apm or pixhawk flight controler. It also took several minutes to stabelize the GPS connections.
And if you used the ground control station you almost saw when you started the multicopter the gps was somewhere else in the world. Almost every time Africa (sahara desert)

What firmware was installed ?
Did you installed the latest firmware ?

Several times i have read that it could take max 12 minutes to synchronize with teh GPSA sats the firs time yiou start the bird.
Mine took 5 min. and it takes 5 minutes every time i install another firmware.
After that no problems.

But i think you have a bad Typhoon H. Send your log files to Yuneec regional support and they wil help you

So it's all boxed up to go back again, if i could somehow get my money back i would definitely buy something else. Seei g the mavic connect in seconds hover completely still and cost half the money is depressing.

In my country the Mavic pro is same price as the H pro.

Update went fine, no obvious issues except legs would not retract. I took the camera off, turned the H upside down and they retracted ok. Put the camera back on, started as normally do and took off. Flew fine.

The max alt issue has been fixed. That's a definite plus. As it was windy it was not easy to test much for comparison to previous fw, other than to say from 450 ft. + altitude it descends nicely in RTH, possibly faster than earlier versions?

If you ever flew home made quads with for example the apm or pixhawk flight controler. It also took several minutes to stabelize the GPS connections.
And if you used the ground control station you almost saw when you started the multicopter the gps was somewhere else in the world. Almost every time Africa (sahara desert)

What firmware was installed ?
Did you installed the latest firmware ?

Several times i have read that it could take max 12 minutes to synchronize with teh GPSA sats the firs time yiou start the bird.
Mine took 5 min. and it takes 5 minutes every time i install another firmware.
After that no problems.

But i think you have a bad Typhoon H. Send your log files to Yuneec regional support and they wil help you
This fault is present on the current firmware released feb 2017 but has been the case since purchase.
I understand the time to connect however if the drone and st16 show 14+ sats each and the drone shows as ready then it should be safe to fly. As we all know you cant actually launch unless you have adequate connectivity. Watching the playback on the st 16 there is 8 minutes befre the drone shows as ready, launching it then spends the next 10 mins flight over the ocean at 0.0000/0.0000 at the this point the playback shoes the drone sudenly back in correct location. Unable to right turn. The right turn causes the drone to decend. Upon landing the drone the motors momentarily go to idle then it goes full noise and flips.
The firmware was the blame initially however i have updated each firmware release and still experienced the same faults.
Dispointment in the product is an understatement. I think its in the gps module but will wait n see. I drop this off today and like the last time i dont expect to see it for the next 6 weeks.

I had to wait 5 min before the GPS connection stabelized after the firmware upgrade.
For my second lipo i had not to wait so long.
After a firmware update I would expect the TH to do a GPS cold start and require a full almanac download. I always let the bird sit outside for 20 minutes with the motors off before taking off -- it has a negligible impact on the flight time.

Reactions: ArnhemAnt
After a long period of anxious waiting I did my first test with new (EU) firmware. Had to wait for the weather to be ok, also winds at somewhat higher altitudes.

Of course I started out with freshly calibrated (accellometer and compass as well as gimball) and GPS-sound drone. Let the drone sit, power on, at take off for 10 minutes. After smooth take off and nicely retracting gear I was very happy to see the altitude limit issue mended, H easily climbed up to 350 mtrs. Contact with drone and video quite ok.
Rest of the flight was ok, although I did not find landing easier then before. I use to take off and land on my car's roof, but landing did not succeed... the H even almost crashed tumbling off the roof. No real winds, only very small gentle and predictable breeze.... Going to try doing better next time and check if it was just a moment of weakness....

I have to see if any of the vid material is worth looking at. Also flight data still to be evaluated. More coming soon if it is worth while mentioning. As for now I am happy with new (EU) firmware which installed perfectly by OTA.

Cheers!

This fault is present on the current firmware released feb 2017 but has been the case since purchase.
I understand the time to connect however if the drone and st16 show 14+ sats each and the drone shows as ready then it should be safe to fly. As we all know you cant actually launch unless you have adequate connectivity. Watching the playback on the st 16 there is 8 minutes befre the drone shows as ready, launching it then spends the next 10 mins flight over the ocean at 0.0000/0.0000 at the this point the playback shoes the drone sudenly back in correct location. Unable to right turn. The right turn causes the drone to decend. Upon landing the drone the motors momentarily go to idle then it goes full noise and flips.
The firmware was the blame initially however i have updated each firmware release and still experienced the same faults.
Dispointment in the product is an understatement. I think its in the gps module but will wait n see. I drop this off today and like the last time i dont expect to see it for the next 6 weeks.

Matthew,

Just curious... when your bird has been back to Yuneec, was the ST16 sent along? If it accompanied your H, do you know if it was used in testing?

From your recent problem description, along with the previous history, I am suspicious of the controller, both receiving accurate [telemetry] details as well as sending appropriate command signals.

Two points from your post:
1) Expecting right turn but getting descend. Sounds like ST16 might be sending the wrong command. It could still be the H, of course, but... you've been down that road with the H repairs, correct?
2) "Motors go to idle then to full noise." It may sound like full noise, but for the bird to flip, some of the motors are providing much more thrust than the others, hence the flip. That could be the speed controls in the bird, the receiver interpreting commands incorrectly, or the ST16 sending the incorrect commands.

Just thought I'd ask, in case these scenarios had not yet been explored.

Good luck!

Jeff

I use to take off and land on my car's roof, but landing did not succeed... the H even almost crashed tumbling off the roof.

May need a bigger car:eek:? Taking off is probably not a biggie, but kindly don't make a practice of landing on the car. Sooner or later the odds will get you.:)

Took my new drone out yesterday. Yuneec installed all the updates while I was at their office. I think the radius you have to be away from take off and landing might be a reason why my drone stayed hovering even when I was holding the stick down to land it. But, I also had an issue where once the drone had touch down it started to lean forward while I was on a flat surface. I immediately throttled the drone back into the air and avoided an incident. I also had a lot of drifting while just a foot or two off the ground. A review of the telemetry showed a couple compass calibration errors on both short flight. I'll recalibrate tomorrow to see if this solves some of the issues. But I do have to say I'm not feeling as confident as I once was. For some reason I don't feel as though this new drone is as responsive to my commands as my last one. Should I also reset my transmitter to factory defaults? Yuneec had my transmitter when they set up this new drone so I'm assuming they felt everything was in line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I immediately throttled the drone back into the air and avoided an incident. I also had a lot of drifting while just a foot or two off the ground.

That is about the same experience I had, and therefore not being able to land on my 'pad'. More drift then before and also more nervous in atitude.
Telmetry showed no anomalies though except for battery warning just before touch down.

That is about the same experience I had, and therefore not being able to land on my 'pad'. More drift then before and also more nervous in atitude.
Telmetry showed no anomalies though except for battery warning just before touch down.

Yeah I saw your post the other day. It popped in my head right away when I saw my drone lean forward. I didn't have any errors show up on my screen. Only in UAV toolbox. I'm really nervous about flying it now. I can't have 2 accidents in a weeks time. The first one wasn't pilot error, just complete power failure but, if I feel something isn't right and I fly anyways I don't feel that's the responsible thing to do. I'll try recalibrating the compass and just try a couple low altitude maneuvers then land it and look at telemetry. If there are still errors I'm grounding it until Yuneec looks at it.

Reactions: ogrench
There are ground effects that come into play when you are a couple feet off the floor or walls.

With this update, I am able to land on a small box - one of those Staples or Office depot boxes - that holds letter or legal size folders.

However, I do not seem to be able to disengage GPS. Previously, with GPS off, it is super smooth. Now, when I select GPS off and close the calibration option window, then reopen it, I see GPS On. And it flys as though it has GPS on with the jerky motions moving the control stick off-center.

Reactions: Quagmire LXIX
Yeah I saw your post the other day. It popped in my head right away when I saw my drone lean forward. I didn't have any errors show up on my screen. Only in UAV toolbox. I'm really nervous about flying it now. I can't have 2 accidents in a weeks time. The first one wasn't pilot error, just complete power failure but, if I feel something isn't right and I fly anyways I don't feel that's the responsible thing to do. I'll try recalibrating the compass and just try a couple low altitude maneuvers then land it and look at telemetry. If there are still errors I'm grounding it until Yuneec looks at it.

Yeh, I plan the same. Recalibrating, wait even longer for SAT and maybe most important... go look for a wider, more open spot to fly.
It has been raining cats and dogs here for the last few weeks, so I could not find a dry enough safer place to fly (and return home by car instead of ringing the tow truck to get it out of the mud).

There are ground effects that come into play when you are a couple feet off the floor or walls.

With this update, I am able to land on a small box - one of those Staples or Office depot boxes - that holds letter or legal size folders.

However, I do not seem to be able to disengage GPS. Previously, with GPS off, it is super smooth. Now, when I select GPS off and close the calibration option window, then reopen it, I see GPS On. And it flys as though it has GPS on with the jerky motions moving the control stick off-center.

Odd... I have the opposite experience @landing, although I am used to land on a 'pad'. Will test the GPS switching next time, did not do that one yet..
Thinking back... the swerving around may have been invoked by some sort of electrical field distortion because I was pretty near an elecrtified railroad. Can't remember if there was a train passing at that moment.

Yeh, I plan the same. Recalibrating, wait even longer for SAT and maybe most important... go look for a wider, more open spot to fly.
It has been raining cats and dogs here for the last few weeks, so I could not find a dry enough safer place to fly (and return home by car instead of ringing the tow truck to get it out of the mud).

Hi:

I have take off on my car sometimes, but i think is not the best.

The car is a metallic structure, and compass can be affected.

You also says that a rail road is very near and possibly a electric train running.

I have detected that big metallic structures (when yo are very near) affect over the compass with warnings and little erratic fly.

At the beginning and end of this video i remember seeing some warning and erratic control:

I have not installed the new software, but i have read (i think) that now warning are recorded when are
of longer duration.

Regards.

Landing on car roof is a bad idea, especially around the edges. Ground effect is completely messed up.
Don't know why people are testing this aspect anyway because it is known and stated not to fly that close to metal.

Thank you all for your concern.

But... well, as a professional pilot I know about ground effect and other meteorological aspects. No problems there.
As for the car-roof... it is made of glass. I did not try to land at he edges, but right in the middle. As you can see the final approach is on bulls-eye but the drone suddenly veered to the right.
Done some very much ok landings on it before, but that may have just been luck. :)

Last edited:
I have not updated yet
st16_system_v03.01b27
st16_tx_v00.24
st16_vf_v01.10
Do I need to update?

Thanks

Thank you all for your concern.

As for the car-roof... it is made of glass. I did not try to land at he edges, but right in the middle. As you can see the final approach is on bulls-eye but the drone suddenly veered to the right.
Done some very much ok landings on it before, but that may have just been luck. :)

Re-thinking the possibility of magneto-interference, the compass and large iron parts... the landings that I did do had the final approach from the rear end of the car. The trunk is made of synthetic material just like the sides/edges of the roof, rear window and main part of the roof are glass on metal reinforced synthetic material frame.
The bonnet/hood and the top of the windscreen are metal. The inside of the top of the windscreen quite crude because of safety precautions, it is a convertible. Decellerating for landing was exactly over this rim and the drone veered right.

Anyway.... maybe I will make a nice wooden helipad to put on the ground.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33