Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

2 week Typhoon H review and I don't understand...

Reaction score
Well after 2 weeks of ownership with virtually no issues whatsoever, I can officially say my Phantom 4 has not left my basement. I don't understand why or how anyone could go back to or have any urge to pilot any of the Phantom series aircrafts after flying the Typhoon H. I will give you all the honest truth in my opinion. When both aircrafts are out of GPS mode, the P4 definitely has a higher top speed. When both cameras are on same resolution and frame rate, I do believe that the P4 does a better job responding to light changes in the automatic modes. The flight time of the P4 is slightly longer than the H but not by very much at all. Lastly, my P4 has much better video range with less dropouts and lag.

Yes, these are all things that I have deciphered from MY personal experience, however I can honestly say that the advantages of the H make it an all around better aircraft. So listen up!

Who cares about top speed on an aerial photography aircraft? It's not like the H is a dog compared to the P4 and I don't think it really matters when everything else is considered. If I want speed, I can go buy a FPV race quad. I believe that speed is a selling point for the ill informed user.

The P4 does respond better than the H to light changes when in an equal environment in automatic mode. But let's get a side shot with the P4, oh wait the landing gear is in the way! I want to apologize in advance to anyone who bought a Typhoon H because you will never go back to a fixed landing gear aircraft ever again, at least in this price point. The ability to put the H up in the sky and just let it sit there, not worried about FLYING in a specific direction to get a shot but rather just panning and tilting to get your shot, makes this a hassle free dream. You are focused on the screen and gimbal controls to get a nice shot rather than in what direction to aim like on the P4. Plus let's be honest here, retractable landing gear is just cooler and it even automatically deploys when in RTH mode!

So maybe the flight time is a little longer on the P4 and I do like the battery life LED's but let's take a look here. The batteries for the H are cheaper by around $30. I believe that if you have enough money to get into this hobby, you can afford batteries. I just picked up 3 extra batteries for my H at my LHS for $130.00 each. Each P4 battery costs $170.00. This means that you can just about get 4 Typhoon H batteries for the price of 3 P4 batteries. So now I have 100 minutes of flight time with my H vs 84 minutes of flight time with the P4 for virtually the same price. The average consumer does not see it like that but I believe that the hobbyist needs to!

I know that there is a little more lag and dropouts when I really start increasing my distance with my H when compared to my P4. First of all this can easily be resolved with aftermarket radio and video feed antennas. Maybe the extra $100.00 I saved with the H when compared to the P4 can absorb the cost of aftermarket antennas. Then just look at the ST-16. Not only is it more visually appealing but I don't need my iPad or iPhone hooked up the the controller. To me it has always just been one more hassle and one more battery to make sure to keep charged. I love the onboard 7 inch android based screen on the ST-16.

These are just some of the things I have noticed from flying both crafts and honestly, my urge to take out my P4 becomes less and less each day. I can't get enough of the Typhoon H and anyone who is still waiting, keep waiting and don't waste your money on any DJI product. They are your typical company who sits on the top as #1 and got complacent. Never put any real innovation into any of their aircrafts after the P3 and now, well now they are going to do everything they can to stop Yuneec. Yuneec is #2 and they are doing exactly what any truly good #2 does; works harder and is more innovative than #1 because they want that spot and with the Typhoon H, it obviously shows.

Last edited:
I do not have any of the DJI products, but I could not agree more.
But you left out one very important point.
IT'S **** FUN TO FLY

I really like the H but not having a dial to adjust exposure or iso is a bummer if you're used to having that option. The slow adjusting to exposure changes will hopefully be corrected via a firmware update. Making quick corrections during flight is very important to me and I fly with goggles on so I'd have to remove goggles and find options on the screen etc. Switching between camera and video takes more time as well. I'm having to adjust to this new drone but it flies great so far and look forward to gaining more experience with it.

My buddies got New replacement Typhoon Hs and there both running perfect. Here a funny story as they were flying them today. There was a Kid about 14 years old with his mom flying a P4 in the same park. His Mom walks over to us and asked whats name of what we are flying. My buddies say there called the Typhoon H. She says that it looks nice, then says is that what the pros Fly. She says I got the P4 for my son as its more a toy. You could tell she had $$$$$. Then see walked back to her kid. and we started laughing.

I think they certainly made some design decisions to keep cost low such as the battery indicators and I have not missed the smart battery lights of the Phantom as much as I thought but I am planning on keeping the Phantom 3 and actually flew it this morning over the Typhoon H.

The Phantom range is more portable due to their design and while the lack of backpack for the Typhoon H is hampering my flights I doubt I will carry it everywhere purely due to its bulk when in a backpack. I'm not a waypoint flyer but the Phantoms video link is superb, I am struggling to get the Typhoon over 400 metres over a lake with no interference. Finally for me the DJI GO app is a work of art for many reasons but for me the most important is camera controls such as AEB, quick exposure compensation and simply design decisions such as switching to camera mode if you hit the capture still image button when not recording.

The portability of the Typhoon H is partly due to it being a hexacopter so thats a compromise you accept, but I really hope Yuneec get themselves some great software developers and get that app to the level of their competitors soon.

So this morning when I knew I had to park and walk a little way and the conditions needed a bit of AEB I grabbed the Phantom 3 over the Typhoon H.

Last edited:
Reactions: Burntpixel
I think they certainly made some design decisions to keep cost low such as the battery indicators and I have not missed the smart battery lights of the Phantom as much as I thought but I am planning keeping the Phantom 3 and actually flew it this morning over the Typhoon H.

The Phantom range is more portable due to their design and while the lack of backpack for the Typhoon H is hampering my flights I doubt I will carry it everywhere purely due to its bulk when in a backpack. I'm not a waypoint flyer but the Phantoms video link is superb, I am struggling to get the Typhoon over 400 metres over a lake with no interference. Finally for me the DJI GO app is a work of art for many reasons but for me the most important is camera controls such as AEB, quick exposure compensation and simply design decisions such as switching to camera mode if you hit the capture still image button when not recording.

The portability of the Typhoon H is partly due to it being a hexacopter so thats a compromise you accept, but I really hope Yuneec get themselves some great software developers and get that app to the level of their competitors soon.

So this morning when I knew I had to park and walk a little way and the conditions needed a bit of AEB I grabbed the Phantom 3 over the Typhoon H.
Agree on this!
One more thing is the Phantom 4 is using the camera and system for Active Tracking, more reliable and always put the object followed by the drone in the center of the video. Unlike the "follow me" of H under the help of GPS.

Reactions: Burntpixel
Well after 2 weeks of ownership with virtually no issues whatsoever, I can officially say my Phantom 4 has not left my basement. I don't understand why or how anyone could go back to or have any urge to pilot any of the Phantom series aircrafts after flying the Typhoon H. I will give you all the honest truth in my opinion. When both aircrafts are out of GPS mode, the P4 definitely has a higher top speed. When both cameras are on same resolution and frame rate, I do believe that the P4 does a better job responding to light changes in the automatic modes. The flight time of the P4 is slightly longer than the H but not by very much at all. Lastly, my P4 has much better video range with less dropouts and lag.

Yes, these are all things that I have deciphered from MY personal experience, however I can honestly say that the advantages of the H make it an all around better aircraft. So listen up!

Who cares about top speed on an aerial photography aircraft? It's not like the H is a dog compared to the P4 and I don't think it really matters when everything else is considered. If I want speed, I can go buy a FPV race quad. I believe that speed is a selling point for the ill informed user.

The P4 does respond better than the H to light changes when in an equal environment in automatic mode. But let's get a side shot with the P4, oh wait the landing gear is in the way! I want to apologize in advance to anyone who bought a Typhoon H because you will never go back to a fixed landing gear aircraft ever again, at least in this price point. The ability to put the H up in the sky and just let it sit there, not worried about FLYING in a specific direction to get a shot but rather just panning and tilting to get your shot, makes this a hassle free dream. You are focused on the screen and gimbal controls to get a nice shot rather than in what direction to aim like on the P4. Plus let's be honest here, retractable landing gear is just cooler and it even automatically deploys when in RTH mode!

So maybe the flight time is a little longer on the P4 and I do like the battery life LED's but let's take a look here. The batteries for the H are cheaper by around $30. I believe that if you have enough money to get into this hobby, you can afford batteries. I just picked up 3 extra batteries for my H at my LHS for $130.00 each. Each P4 battery costs $170.00. This means that you can just about get 4 Typhoon H batteries for the price of 3 P4 batteries. So now I have 100 minutes of flight time with my H vs 84 minutes of flight time with the P4 for virtually the same price. The average consumer does not see it like that but I believe that the hobbyist needs to!

I know that there is a little more lag and dropouts when I really start increasing my distance with my H when compared to my P4. First of all this can easily be resolved with aftermarket radio and video feed antennas. Maybe the extra $100.00 I saved with the H when compared to the P4 can absorb the cost of aftermarket antennas. Then just look at the ST-16. Not only is it more visually appealing but I don't need my iPad or iPhone hooked up the the controller. To me it has always just been one more hassle and one more battery to make sure to keep charged. I love the onboard 7 inch android based screen on the ST-16.

These are just some of the things I have noticed from flying both crafts and honestly, my urge to take out my P4 becomes less and less each day. I can't get enough of the Typhoon H and anyone who is still waiting, keep waiting and don't waste your money on any DJI product. They are your typical company who sits on the top as #1 and got complacent. Never put any real innovation into any of their aircrafts after the P3 and now, well now they are going to do everything they can to stop Yuneec. Yuneec is #2 and they are doing exactly what any truly good #2 does; works harder and is more innovative than #1 because they want that spot and with the Typhoon H, it obviously shows.
Batteries for the H 109 at Brooklyn drones! Good post. I can't wait till mine arrives!

Agreed and a very good review-comparison.

Thank you for the great review! Do you have a YouTube or Vimeo channel we can go watch the video? :)

Hey guys, I have been looking at the Typhoon H and was just curious, is no one disappointed that it tops out at 122m?? well short of a lot of the other models? Or is that just not really important? Hopefully some one responds! I know the thread is a couple months old :)

Kind of an old thread debate.

All I can say is I am thankful for both DJI and Yuneec and other drone makers because if it were not
for competition we would have to take out a second mortgage to buy one.

Hey guys, I have been looking at the Typhoon H and was just curious, is no one disappointed that it tops out at 122m?? well short of a lot of the other models? Or is that just not really important? Hopefully some one responds! I know the thread is a couple months old :)

This max altitude can be changed in the GUI software to whatever you want.

This max altitude can be changed in the GUI software to whatever you want.
Oh! So are you 100% sure? lol i have no doubts you are but didnt want to pull the trigger if i was limited to 122m on the Typhoon H pro. Is changing the elevation easy?

YES the altitude can be changed using the GUI.
Please remember in the USA we are limited to 400 feet above ground level.
Fly safe and don't muck it up for the rest of us.

Oh! So are you 100% sure? lol i have no doubts you are but didnt want to pull the trigger if i was limited to 122m on the Typhoon H pro. Is changing the elevation easy?

How high do you want to go and why? If you follow the rules you should be under 400 feet and I cannot see a lot of reasons to go higher unless you are doing pictures/videos of a tall building and then you are able to go above the 400 feet if near the building.
I do not know about the setting in the GUI but my Pro should be here on Friday.

Reactions: abinder
Like man said GUI, connect H with usb cable to pc and change the Altitude value, not sure what would be the max but I think 500m. I changed to 200m when I was flying over the hills.

Like man said GUI, connect H with usb cable to pc and change the Altitude value, not sure what would be the max but I think 500m. I changed to 200m when I was flying over the hills.

I agree agree agree with the OP. And yes the GUI can easily modify Altitude. Let's face it, the TH is of what's to come. I can't wait to see what developes over the next 5 years for Yuneec.

Reactions: Chris McMillan
I have three reliable drones and a dozen toys. I have flown TH the most since I got TH, the Autel XStar next, and my Q500+ bout 3 times. That is 2 4Ks and 1 1080p camera. I haven't flown any other of my toys at all. Like some of you I can't get enough of my baby TH. Good to know I'm normal, I was beginning to worry myself.

Agree on this!
One more thing is the Phantom 4 is using the camera and system for Active Tracking, more reliable and always put the object followed by the drone in the center of the video. Unlike the "follow me" of H under the help of GPS.

Yeah, more reliable until you walk behind a tree. And whilst it's facing you, how does the obstacle avoidance work?

Reactions: RiverRunner

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop