Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

3 blade props q500

Reaction score
DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY 3BLADED PROPS FOR THE Q500? I AM A 35 YR MACHINIST CONSIDERING MAKING AN INJECTION MOLD FOR A 3 BLADED PROP FOR THE Q500. IF A LARGE ENOUGH DEMAND IS MADE AWARE OF I WILL BUILD MOLD TO MAKE LARGE QTY'S. HAVE DONE SOME RESEARCH AND FOUND NOWHERE THAT HAS THEM OR EVEN KNOW OF THEM. IF ANYONE HAS THE GEOMETRY FOR THE 2 BLADE PROPS THAT WOULD BE A GREAT TIME SAVER. ALSO, ANY INPUT AS TO WHAT THE PITCH DIFFERENCE SHOULD BE GOING FROM 2 TO 3 BLADE, OR ANY INPUT AT ALL AS TO WHAT SHAPE WOULD BE BEST FOR SOUND AND EFFICIENCY OF BATT WOULD BE CONSIDERED IN THE DESIGN OF BLADES. THE TYPE OF MATL ALSO IS A BIG WINDOW OF POSSIBILITIES. AGAIN ANY INPUT!

What is your idea behind adding a third blade? It certainly is an interesting project for yourself but from a technical point of view it is not very useful. You would usually add a third blade if your engine has a lot of unused resources but the propeller diameter cannot get any larger.

A three blade propeller also comes with a lot of disadvantages: They are less efficient, usually noisier, harder to balance, need more space during storage and transportation. On a multirotor aircraft you will furthermore encounter difficulties with the flight controller since it relies on a PID-controller with specific parameters. Nearly every change to the propeller will force you to adjust the PID-values as well.

As a rough approximation for propellers of that size you usually say one blade more equals one inch less diameter or one inch less pitch.

What is your idea behind adding a third blade? It certainly is an interesting project for yourself but from a technical point of view it is not very useful. You would usually add a third blade if your engine has a lot of unused resources but the propeller diameter cannot get any larger.

A three blade propeller also comes with a lot of disadvantages: They are less efficient, usually noisier, harder to balance, need more space during storage and transportation. On a multirotor aircraft you will furthermore encounter difficulties with the flight controller since it relies on a PID-controller with specific parameters. Nearly every change to the propeller will force you to adjust the PID-values as well.

As a rough approximation for propellers of that size you usually say one blade more equals one inch less diameter or one inch less pitch.
NO SPECIFIC IDEA. BUT YOU COVERED MOST OF MY QUESTIONS OF WHAT A 3 BLADE PROP WOULD DO,
OR NOT DO. THANX. I HAVE SOME RACING DRONES AND WASNT CLEAR AS TO WHAT OR WHY THEY USE MOSTLY 3 BLADE PROPS.
SO THANKS FOR SAVING ME THE TIME I WOULD HAVE SPENT BUILDING THE TOOLING FOR THAT.

I agree changing the dynamics of most anything on the Q would drastically change all the things the original design took years to perfect. They may be a good Idea for someone doing a build,but you would never sell enough to make the build worthwhile. I am not being negative, just practical. Peace. KC

Reactions: johnnyb57

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval