Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

30x Optical zoom camera coming to H520

Reaction score
Hidden in a french interview with Wenyan Jiang and Jörg Schamuhn of Yuneec:

HM: Do you envisage a camera with optical zoom?
JC: What I can say is that we currently have a prototype optical zoom camera that goes around the world. It has been used in the United States, France, the United Kingdom, Israel, Switzerland. I am planning a commercialization of this optical zoom solution by the end of this year. So we're not just considering it, we're going to market it. We are planning a 30x optical zoom combined with an 8x digital zoom.
[...]
HM: Will it be usable on the H3 and the previous devices?
JC: It will work on Typhoon H + and H520, and we will make it compatible with the Typhoon H3, yes.

(Translated using Google Translate - original interview: Interview Yuneec : stratégie, Leica, futur appareil, réglementation…)

At the current rate how long? There late with H3, delivery dates have been pushed back three months in a row in EU now, parts are drying up, support in other countries deteriorating, at the moment Yuneec are all talk.

Maybe they use digital image stabalization as well. If you have a look on the new GoPro Series they did a pretty good job. Maybe this will reduce the shaking enough in order to gain accaptable video quality.

You also have to mind that the H520 is not intended to produce awesome cinema like videos. I think the new camera will be used for surveillance tasks. A usable, slightly shaky image will be enough for this

Hey,
I believe that those who make inspections of e.g. wind mills and/or power lines etc. might appreciate having zoom lens. It would help them get details of what they inspect from a safe distance from a structure.

There are already cameras with up to 36x (as far as I know, there may be more). I agree with you, the stability when you pass a few X's is very questionable. I put you a video, where you see in the first 90 seconds the operation of a 30x camera and are very clever, most examples with fixed photos.

When you sell a product it is not interesting to show the reality, that the image of the video moves like a crazy flan. Seeing the first 90 seconds is enough.

Like all big zoom, we need a photo stand to stabilize.
Such a zoom is conceivable only for the still image, it has no place in video.
Actually conceive it as a plus for photographic surveys

Just out of curiosity I Googled the SkyCam used at football games. It travels up to 30mph and has 12x zoom. Of course the Sony camera costs $33K and the lens costs $22K. Didn't see info on the gimble. And they use two operators, one to fly and one to operate the camera.

Reactions: Steve Carr
There are already cameras with up to 36x (as far as I know, there may be more). I agree with you, the stability when you pass a few X's is very questionable. I put you a video, where you see in the first 90 seconds the operation of a 30x camera and are very clever, most examples with fixed photos.

When you sell a product it is not interesting to show the reality, that the image of the video moves like a crazy flan. Seeing the first 90 seconds is enough.

That one, on the other hand, is app $2,3 k

That one, on the other hand, is app $2,3 k

And while I have given an example of one that is not so expensive, $4,000 is more accurate for a "normal" one ???. And with the prices that Yuneec likes to play with, I'll wait, first the actual performance of the camera and then the price, although we'll almost certainly find out both in reverse order.

To mount a video camera with a lot of zoom in a drone the gimbal still have a long way to go, although it is true that when I started with the gimbals, had at most 2 axes, now are a wonder but ............ :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Stabilizing at this magnification factor I don't see as a problem - witnessed some pretty good and stable videos from 5000' height and ~120kts... Okay, camera payload was somewhat about 90 pounds ?.
Looking at the Foxtech stuff, I don't see any problems for Yuneec to get a comparable product, especially when teaming up with Leica, but I guess not only the optics will be magnified - price will be too ?.

In a few years we will probably see a 300Mp sensor delivering 30x 4K lossless digital zoom with digital stabilization.
And - with rectilinear optics at wide angle.
And - with an astronomical price.
-Bill

Like has been mentioned, this is not designed for video. Keep inspections in mind and mated with the H520 as part of a master plan to continue the push into the commercial market. The next step will be something to replace the E90 which may or may not be along the lines of the Leica Ion. Ice the cake with an E10T(V) and it's a pretty potent package at a much more logical cost than many of the competitors with the same functionality, making it a more realistic choice for most of us.

I'd agree, the high magnification is targeted towards inspection, SAR and surveillance.

The early V18 for H920 was basicaly too early and poor performance and failures. Mine failed quickly and Yuneec had no path to repair since it technically wasn't a USA product... although UK Yuneec wouldn't touch it either... a loss. It was a very pricey unit to loose... my biggest loss in sUAV inventory easily!

I welcome a new Yuneec Zoom, they need to add payloads. A Zoom is one competitive requirement. Reality of Zoom or a V18 relative will be decided in market.

The zoom isn't for cinematic, instead move the platform closer. A small 3-7x for special pan out or zoom (Dolly) effects. The need for 30X and additional digital zoom, I don't see the benefit cinematically.

The DJI Z30 was released in 2016 @ apx $8k, and 2 yrs later reduced to $3K. It went through a few FW updates to address a few stability issues. It's a 30X with 6X Digital for a 180X total. A very hefty payload, the body is a massive heat sink block of aluminum, and it generates a lot of heat, returns to LZ warm!

For a Zoom, it does display a zoom can be very good. The focus is actually very good and sharp, you can easily see facial expressions, eye and mouth movement or a tower's bolts and brackets from around a 1/4 mile. When zoomed in tight & close it will be grainy, but still very useable for intended purposes.

The FW issues weren't for focus or gimbal shake as one would expect, but to address gimbal rotation that would move focus point and cause it to start focus hunting, which then caused it to begin rotating out of control. Moving a focal point off target to open distance when zoomed can be problematic, like any powerful zoom.

Mine worked flawless when new ($3k 2018) until applied a FW... that caused problems requiring a free replacement by DJI. After receiving replacement, works great. A Z30 and XT 640 Thermal on a dual or a Z30 top mount work great.

I'm all for a new zoom, the more competition the better new technology is driven. Although after the bite on the V18, I won't be one of the early Buyers!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval