Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

3D & 2D Mapping with the Typhoon H

Reaction score
Hi everbody.

I just thought I'd share something I've been up to with the H recently with you! I've taken to 2D and 3D mapping and my first attempt can be viewed here, http://drdp.ly/AO1mJW . I don't think its too bad, although due to the location of the trees and the angles I flew, one side of the building looks a bit messy and theres a few other things here and there but I'm sure I can improve it by taking more images and trying to maintain a 45 degree camera angle

I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions on how to map best with the Typhoon H or any other good software to use (without it costing an arm and a leg). I appreciate that perhaps the more it costs the better the finished result. Feel free to post some results you've had too, I'd like to see what others have achieved!

Have a good day!

Reactions: ricmitch and Tuna
That's cool - what software did you use?

Hello,
seems you were able to make DroneDeploy working with the Typhoon H, is it?
Nice result!
I tried a couple of times but it did fail both. Wrote them and they answered they are aware of the problem and will eventually work on it.

I already published a thread about a modelization I did and simulated overflight here.

Could you please post some details about how you did it, or did they finally solve the problem?
Thanks!
Ric

Nice. I suppose that you did it in CCC. but, did you take the pictures in automatic mode (timelapse, one pictures per second)?

what software did you use? Pix4D or PhotoScan?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wakeborder2
Hi everbody.

I just thought I'd share something I've been up to with the H recently with you! I've taken to 2D and 3D mapping and my first attempt can be viewed here, http://drdp.ly/AO1mJW . I don't think its too bad, although due to the location of the trees and the angles I flew, one side of the building looks a bit messy and theres a few other things here and there but I'm sure I can improve it by taking more images and trying to maintain a 45 degree camera angle

I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions on how to map best with the Typhoon H or any other good software to use (without it costing an arm and a leg). I appreciate that perhaps the more it costs the better the finished result. Feel free to post some results you've had too, I'd like to see what others have achieved!

Have a good day!

Pix4D is well worth the cost of the software if you get mapping jobs. But if you need accuracy in your models I wouldn't use the Typhoon H at all.
Then I'd go with a Tornado and the GH4 for minimal distortion pictures. You also need those sweet €40k ground based measuring rods :D

But if it's just for visualization, then Pix4D and the Typhoon are enough.

I think you can work with Typhoon, now with timelapse option you get picture every sec, before I had to trigger manually. As for results, camera really could be better, it's too wide and you don't get enough resolution on details, so I'm thinking on ordering that 8.25MM lense from Peau Productions.

You control accuracy with Ground control points, so it's really don't that important what do you fly.

I did some projects with 3Dsurvey, you have trial version here - Free trial / 3Dsurvey. If compared to DroneDeploy it's desktop app where you have in control a lot of parameters, takes some time and a machine, but at the end I think you get better results.

I made that model using Drone Deploy, you can create a few things for free each month. I tried to get it to work once before, but found out I was taking photos in raw, for the photos to save GPS and altitude metadata they have to be taken in jpg.
I'm not sure if they've recently fixed Drone Deploy, I didn't seem to have any issues using it, as I say I've only recently tried it out.

What I found was that you want to aim to have the camera at a 45 degree angle and just take as many photos as possible at the time. Drone Deploy made light work of it, it took a fair amount of time since I only have a free account but it did the job adequately enough. I've also messed around with MapsMadeEasy and that's a treat to use too. Although it has a limit to the number of photos you can use unless you pay. I've recently downloaded a piece of software for my mac that does the same job, it works 10 times better, but as my MacBook has to process everything it does take some time. I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head but I'll have a look when I'm next at my computer. It also lets you move around stitched photos so if something doesn't look too good you can adjust it. There's no pixel/inch limit to this software either it just relies on the height you fly (of course) and the processing power of your computer determines how long it takes. I flew over a 5 acre building site the other day and currently it's been processing for 22 hours! I know it's not free, unless your a student or know one ;)

I didn't use CCC I just flew around trying to cover as much as I could with as many angles and as much cross over between photos as possible. You have to fly from one location to the next and stop otherwise you'll end up with a blurry photo which is no good. It would be great to have an app which can automate this process like with DJIs.

That example on your thread is amazing, you covered such a vast area.

The H really isn't a mapping drone, to be honest I haven't found anything I think it excels in. It's a good all round piece of kit though. Fun to fly.

Hi everbody.

I just thought I'd share something I've been up to with the H recently with you! I've taken to 2D and 3D mapping and my first attempt can be viewed here, 1469381914_KRISJHOPOPENPIPELINE . I don't think its too bad, although due to the location of the trees and the angles I flew, one side of the building looks a bit messy and theres a few other things here and there but I'm sure I can improve it by taking more images and trying to maintain a 45 degree camera angle

Have a good day!

So you used Drone Deploy to do this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval