Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

400' Limitation Overide?

Version b27 was where the firmware would not accept an increase in the 400’ altitude cap. The latest (from 3/17/17 but still the latest) aircraft firmware is v3.04, I have it in both of mine. Neither has waiver firmware installed. I changed the 400’ limit in both with the GUI. If the change was not properly set and recorded by clicking the update button the GUI will not transfer them to the H.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Hennessy
Yes well I tried that initially but it did not work, my understanding is the new firmware upgrade will no longer let you change it in the GUI. Trust me I tried several times last night and even did several test flights only to hit the 396 ft ceiling. I feel this license upgrade from Yuneec will be a more permanent solution.

I can confirm this - I also have the latest firmware, and although I can change the limit in the GUI and apply it, it doesn't actually make any difference to the achievable height - mine still stops at 390 ft. Perhaps the difference is in the UK / US versions of the firmware ? - in my case I have the UK / Europe version.

That may well be. The U.S. firmware allows for NFZ removal as well, something I am not aware of being present with EU/UK firmware. However, altitude adjustment is something that may be changing for all of us as the U.K. and the U.S. are both incorporating a 400' hard cap for most drone usage.

You must contact Yuneec, I suggest a phone call, not an e-mail, for them to provide you a waiver request form. The form must be accurately filled out and returned as a reply to the e-mail in which it was sent to you. Some new software keyed to your autopilot serial number will be provided a little while after the form is received. Note there are two types of waivers, recreational and commercial. Be sure to mention you are requesting a commercial waiver in your reply if that's what is sought. Recreational waivers partially removes NFZ restrictions while commercial waivers remove all of them. If a copy of the 107 certificate is not provided you would receive recreational level removal, and no amount of complaining would change that until a commercial certificate with your name on it was sent to them.

Thanks. That clarifies some things.

Having trouble retrieving my "Vehicle ID" as I do not have a PC to connect to, only 18 Apple computers. Have to wait for wife to bring pc laptop home from work. Would that vehicle ID be located anywhere else? On the box that Typhoon came in?

The Uk doesn't have that hard limit, and the CAA has specifically clarified that they mean 400' AGL based on where the craft is, meaning it is perfectly legal to take off at the bottom of a hill, fly up it, and then to go 400 ft above its summit, which is obviously much more than that from the take-off point. It's not always possible to get to the top of hills round here, so I very much plan on contacting Yuneec to the get the recreational override.

Sorry I didn’t specifically state AGL. I figured that by now everyone already knew about that distinction, that our altimeters don’t reference MSL, or that zero point is ground level with no sea level relationship. In this country the AGL info has been public for over two years, the rest longer, and it’s doubtful there’s any participants named Rip Van Winkle.

MarkC;

The auto pilot serial number can only be observed when linked to the GUI. For some reason Yuneec doesn’t like Apple and left a lot of stuff off their playground.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: biltno and AH-1G
I had been capped at just under 400ft when I first got the H. I hooked up to the GUI and changed the altitude limit to 800ft out of curiosity, not thinking based on posts I had read that it would exceed 400ft. However, it did, I was able to climb to 600ft (the H was little more than a speck against the sky).

I landed that battery, and the next flight with my second battery was when my H crashed.

I had checked a few days prior to that flight to see if all my firmware versions were the latest and they were.

In short, I was able to remove the altitude limit just through the GUI using the latest version of the GUI and H firmware versions.

Wide brought pc ;aptop home, I got the vehicle ID #, contacted Yuneec and got the NFZ unlock code. Thanks for the help PatR.

Reactions: Chewman
I still don't understand why anyone feels the need to go higher than 400 ft about the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're probably one of those characters that dont see why anyone should have an AR15 too right?

I still don't understand why anyone feels the need to go higher than 400 ft about the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Abinder... do you understand when you see the fantastic pics!!??

Abinder... do you understand when you see the fantastic pics!!??
I have to say that my best images I've taken are from an altitude far lower than 400'. Yes it's nice to be able to take images at a higher altitude but, overall, those images are not among my best.

Once flew my H (for demonstration purposes) up to 1100 mtrs.
Delta, when you are @1100mtrs at what voltage do you have to start descend safe... Is 14.8V ok? Do you descend in turtle or rabbit mode?

turns off motor for faster descent, and at the last minute powers up hoping for the best stellar landing. ;)
AH-1G, your answer is one of the disadvantages with this forum - those who delivers 100% stupid comments.

• Haha
Reactions: AH-1G
Our law has provisions that allow for commercial flights above 400’ AGL. If we were to Google “tallest building in Los Angeles” we would quickly find 10 buildings with heights starting at 699’ going up to ~1018’. Many participate in such legal activities.

Our law as it currently stands does not impose a 400’ limit on recreational activities. That limit will not be imposed until after Part 349 is actively implemented.

There are also people that fly commercially under rules set forth in a CoA with general altitude caps well over 400’. Some LEA’s have their commercial CoA altitude limit at 1,000’ AGL.

Others understand the altimeters built into many models of multirotors are very inaccurate and set an altitude cap higher than 400’ in order to permit achieving altitudes of 300-400’ AGL. As we lack the ability to adjust for sea level pressure differentials it is not possible for our altimeters to be accurate. GPS has never provided altitude accuracy and can be off by 100’ or more.

I do not understand why some feel a need to berate others about flight above 400’ while they are legally permitted to do so as long as they do so safely. Because some do not know or understand the law is not reason to pressure those that do.

Last edited:
.......Because some do not know or understand the law is not reason to pressure those that do......

THAT is the actual disadvantage with online forums like this.....people that don’t have a full understanding of the law or rules, imposing their opinions as though they are authoritative fact.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430