Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

520 Vertical Surface Mapping

@arruntus is perfectly right asking for a vertical mission planning tool to Yuneec engineers.
Proof is done that there's no real (easy) solution to do it otherwise.

Yet I thought one could setup a kml file manually with Excell and export it to datapilot
check these lines of code into a kml file:

<LookAt>
<longitude>6.2268264</longitude>
<latitude>46.2304779</latitude>
<altitude>0</altitude>
<heading>-100</heading>
<tilt>45</tilt>
<range>2500</range>
</LookAt>

These could help setting camera orientation.

Yes, asking is free....... unfortunately we have been asking for things for a long time, basic in my opinion, and it seems that the people in charge of Yuneec have other interests. Engineers do what their bosses tell them to do.

Without trying, I believe that the global mode of the camera, starting the flight with that mode activated and looking perpendicularly to the facade solves the problem.

Meanwhile, and as we do not have the proper function, it will be a matter of making real tests, first in a clear area without obstacles and check the logs to see how the flight is developing, in the images it will be difficult to appreciate the result. In case it works well, we can make tests taking as objective the wall of a cliff for example, flying from the base and scanning the wall. With practice more things come out that are not seen in the theory.

It is clear that doing the calculations by hand we could also fly by hand, without automatisms, but to preserve a good overlap, something fundamental, I think that scheduling a flight is ideal. What a pity that it rains and there is a lot of wind every day. They call it winter, don't they? :oops::oops::p:p

We've tried doing a vertical survey on a cylindrical water-reservoir, did not have much success despite our team efforts to have a good overlap... we were not able to reproduce a 3d picture... so manual "grids" are quite difficult.

We've tried doing a vertical survey on a cylindrical water-reservoir, did not have much success despite our team efforts to have a good overlap... we were not able to reproduce a 3d picture... so manual "grids" are quite difficult.

Doing it by hand is very difficult, when doing the lateral overlap correctly you do the vertical wrong. We need it to be automated. The same thing happens with telecommunications towers. I've even tried recording all the contour in video and then extracting the frames but it's a lot of work and although the results have improved, are still bad.

Reactions: CEWC
Hi arrantus,

I've taken a closer look on UgCS ... looks very interesting and I think the H520 should be capable of vertical missions. By the way its nothing other than a mission ... ok, a bit more complicated but at least nothing other than some bits tossed around big smile Ok, I never can do that.
Do you know if there is a limited test version around ? It is not clear for me, how the mission is planned and how the H520 is connected to the system. Far as I understand from the rare information about the H520, he is directly connecte to the software under windows, unix or ios via Bluetooth while the ST16S is powerd off ... (???)

I think, it's not a big deal to integrate vertical scanning in the mission planner ... and for Yuneec, that would be a great competitive advantage.

The Question is, what is Yuneec thinking about this ?

Greetings Marc

Hi Sarah,

i do not know, if planning a Structure Scan with QGroundControl and executing it with DataPilot is a void of warranty, but to be sure, you have to ask Yuneec.

But its even better, DataPilot is a limited version of QGroundControl ... I don't know, if Yuneec bought a licence for a restricted version or bought a licence for the full version and spent a limited version to us.
If it is a full version, Yunee just has to unlock this feature .... there are much more features in QGroundControl.

Greetings
Marc

Qgroundcontrol is a free-open source license.
Yuneec did not buy anything at all. everyone is free to use it and even to make it evolve.

Reactions: RkamilC
... but is there an easy way to use QGroundControl with all features in combination with the H520 instead of using DataPilot until Yuneec unlocks some features of the software. Or are we pinned to the DataPilot and have to pray Yuneec reacts contemporary.

To react contemporary could be a copmpetitive advantage for Yuneec, I think.

Unfortunately my experience tells me, that Yuneec needs a"bit" more time then others. But I will be happy, if Yuneec prooves me wrong this time.

Greetings Marc

The problem comes mainly from the H520's PX4 platform which is locked in most functions. That of the H + and another platform PX4 which has many more open functions such as curved trajectories etc ....
There was an error of choice for the H520 and we will never have all the functions of H +.

Thats sad:(

I will never understand YuneecsProduct policy ...

I think the H520 should be the commercial Copter with more possibilities, mainly for business. And Structure Scan is a business application. It is not only a question of Software, to unlock this feature, Claudius ... are you sure ?

If thats really true, I only can shake my head with lack of understanding.

Greetings Marc

Last edited:
Do you know if there is a limited test version around ?

This function, in the last paragraph of the article says it, is only for paid versions. Yes, there is a trial version with many functions but not all.

Qgroundcontrol is a free-open source license.

Yes, but it's usually for personal, non-professional or business use. If you want to distribute it to sell, as in the case of Yuneec, this is not the case, you have to pay and the same thing happens with Ardupilot. Anyway, within the Dronecode project is involved and Yuneec has access to it.

I would like to hear from Yuneec that using external software does not void the warranty ... does it ?

For now, as far as we know, the only application approved by Yuneec to control the H520 is Pix4DCapture. I understand that if the orders you give to the drone are valid, do not make those orders crash the drone should not be a problem, another thing is that for lack of integration these orders are wrong and cause an accident, then Yuneec would only cover the failures of their own aircraft and this would not be the case.

The problem comes mainly from the H520's PX4 platform which is locked in most functions. That of the H + and another platform PX4 which has many more open functions such as curved trajectories etc ....
There was an error of choice for the H520 and we will never have all the functions of H +.

The fault is the software, not the hardware. The Dronecode project is the one that has to develop the software base and then the manufacturer, in this case the team of programmers that Yuneec has in Switzerland, develop DataPilot. And this is where the problem seems to be. Either they don't find the key to do it well, or there is no coordination, or the tools provided by DroneCode are not powerful enough, or who knows ??

Many ????, combined with a lack of information ---- mass air upwards

Don't get me wrong I like Yuneec, the H520 is my sixt drone and my fourth drone from yuneec. But sometimes I think to myself Yuneec can be glad how patient their customers are and how engaged they are finding a solutions for problems caused by Yuneec itself ...

Greetings

Marc

Many ????, combined with a lack of information ---- mass air upwards

Don't get me wrong I like Yuneec, the H520 is my sixt drone and my fourth drone from yuneec. But sometimes I think to myself Yuneec can be glad how patient their customers are and how engaged they are finding a solutions for problems caused by Yuneec itself ...

Greetings

Marc

I don't know how long it has taken them to solve the problems with your other Yuneec drones, but I'm afraid with the H520 they're breaking records, for now 18 months since its release and since I've had it ?‍♀️

I think that's the same hardware in both.

Far as I know, the H520 and H+ are identical in the main part, only the gpsmodul ant the compass are different (Im not sure at last). The big difference between both is on the one hand side: The features that are locked in the Software / Firmware. The H+ i using the FlightMode App and the H520 is using DataPilot, a limited version of the QGroundControl
On the other Hand the protocoll for the communication between the bird and the camera are different .. for that reason it is impossible to use the E50 with the H+ or the C23 with the H520.

Greetings Marc

They've done it !!

The DataPilot V1.6 for the H520 update is now live.
The update includes the following:
New Features:
• Support for new mission types: Structure scan & Corridor scan
Improvements:
• Support for E90 file numbering option
• Warn user when the vehicle is in HITL mode
• Improve display for RTL to GCS setting
• Improve camera reconnection
• Improve connection

That sounds like vertical surface scan !!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital