Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

59 Acres Map

Did you consider using true orthographic mapping service like MME or Drone deploy? ICE has made a great effort here but has struggled with stitching top down images of cars, streetlights etc. They look like the images have been taken from different angles (because effectively they have). True mapping software seems to avoid this to give a full top-down representation across the map.

Do you mind if I ask the rate you charged per acre and if you were satisfied with the deal?

I charge by the job. I figure how long and how much effort the job will take and how much I need to make in order to make worth the effort. Every job is different. This particular job was $500, I am satisfied and so was the client.

I charge by the job. I figure how long and how much effort the job will take and how much I need to make in order to make worth the effort. Every job is different. This particular job was $500, I am satisfied and so was the client.
The trouble is that there are far too many hobby flyers doing illegal cheap jobs to the point that those of us that have gone to the expense of getting certified, commercially insured and (for the U.K.) obtained the PfCO are sometimes finding it difficult to get jobs that pay a proper rate and make a living out of it. How can a properly certified UAV pilot with all his overheads (commercial insurance, etc.) compete against hobby pilots that are charging peanuts for a job that should attract two or three hundred pounds?
It doesn't matter to some potential clients that the guy who is doing a job for them is doing so illegally. All they are looking for is to pay as little as possible.

I'll go and lie down now:confused:

Reactions: Tuna
The trouble is that there are far too many hobby flyers doing illegal cheap jobs to the point that those of us that have gone to the expense of getting certified, commercially insured and (for the U.K.) obtained the PfCO are sometimes finding it difficult to get jobs that pay a proper rate and make a living out of it. How can a properly certified UAV pilot with all his overheads (commercial insurance, etc.) compete against hobby pilots that are charging peanuts for a job that should attract two or three hundred pounds?
It doesn't matter to some potential clients that the guy who is doing a job for them is doing so illegally. All they are looking for is to pay as little as possible.

I'll go and lie down now:confused:

I think the answer is that the 'guy with a drone' cannot provide the technical service that a trained operator can. If you're preparing maps it can involve a day or more processing the data, verifying it and providing it in the format(s) the client can actually use. You can't do that and still charge peanuts.

As drone services become more widely used, I hope we'll also see more awareness of the difference between an unlicensed hobbyist and a professional service. I know one TV company that hired four different drone operators to do an opening shot for a TV show. Each one messed it up (flyaways, crashes, unusable footage) before they finally went to a professional aerial film company that nailed the shot. They're unlikely to go with the 'cheap' option again :D

...<snip>... I know one TV company that hired four different drone operators to do an opening shot for a TV show. Each one messed it up (flyaways, crashes, unusable footage) before they finally went to a professional aerial film company that nailed the shot. They're unlikely to go with the 'cheap' option again :D
I've heard about that before. I could be wrong, I often am, but the TV show that springs to my mind was for the second series of 'Detectorists', where as part of the opening sequence the scene was a shot of a buried piece of 'trove' and the sequence was that the shot raised out of the ground and into the air looking down on to the area from above. A nice bit of filming that.

Again, I could be wrong, but that's the TV show that springs to mind.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval