Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

920 fly aways

Reaction score
I'm new to the 920 world. I've got 2 480's and in their older firmwares I thought they were susceptible to GPS and Compass problems. I had 2 fly aways with my 1st 480 that were not user inspired.

Wanted to know if any of you guys have had fly aways with the 920's.

Now that I've had my 920 for a while it does seem to be not susceptible to flyaways like the 480's. The vertical hold is horible on the orig 920 though.

Now that I've had my 920 for a while it does seem to be not susceptible to flyaways like the 480's. The vertical hold is horible on the orig 920 though.
None yet. Have one 920 and two 920+. Don't have alot of hours on them but seem to do well in the wind. They are a bit slow and appear cumbersome at first, but are much easier to see!!

Reactions: thoneter
None yet. Have one 920 and two 920+. Don't have alot of hours on them but seem to do well in the wind. They are a bit slow and appear cumbersome at first, but are much easier to see!!
Does the 920 and the + act the same on landings concerning ground effects?

Does the 920 and the + act the same on landings concerning ground effects?
Have had no issues with the 920. It has the V18 camera on it. The pluses have the cgo4 and while I have not compared the weight, seems to be heavier. Only one time with a plus the drone tried to tip over forward. The props had almost completely stopped and it didn't fall over but surprisingly it acted top heavy. It was probably just the wind. I would be concerned flying either of these without a camera or some kind of ballast in windy conditions.

Have had no issues with the 920. It has the V18 camera on it. The pluses have the cgo4 and while I have not compared the weight, seems to be heavier. Only one time with a plus the drone tried to tip over forward. The props had almost completely stopped and it didn't fall over but surprisingly it acted top heavy. It was probably just the wind. I would be concerned flying either of these without a camera or some kind of ballast in windy conditions.
I've noticed that the 920 orig is more vulnerable to ground affect than the 480. I've got 2 920 originals and they both are difficult for me to land compared to the 480.

I think it's due to the programming but I don't have a 920+ to test against.

I've noticed that the 920 orig is more vulnerable to ground affect than the 480. I've got 2 920 originals and they both are difficult for me to land compared to the 480.

I think it's due to the programming but I don't have a 920+ to test against.
Do you get any tipping when it is completely on the ground, before the rotors completely stop? There is a huge amount of rotor wash with those props compared to my 480s. Thought about using the 920's to rake the leaves in the backyard but I'm not that good yet!

Do you get any tipping when it is completely on the ground, before the rotors completely stop? There is a huge amount of rotor wash with those props compared to my 480s. Thought about using the 920's to rake the leaves in the backyard but I'm not that good yet!
I've noticed more bouncing with the prop wash/ground affects with the 920's then with the 480's. The 520's are smooth as butter when it comes to landings.

I've noticed more bouncing with the prop wash/ground affects with the 920's then with the 480's. The 520's are smooth as butter when it comes to landings.
I haven't taken the plunge yet and bought a 520 but have been looking at the 3 camera's bundle at Vertigo. After reading several threads on here concerning the 520 issues I'm probably gonna wait for awhile.
I did practice landings with the 920 yesterday as the weather wad perfect, 5 flights and 14 landings without incident. It was a good confidence builder.

I haven't taken the plunge yet and bought a 520 but have been looking at the 3 camera's bundle at Vertigo. After reading several threads on here concerning the 520 issues I'm probably gonna wait for awhile.
I did practice landings with the 920 yesterday as the weather wad perfect, 5 flights and 14 landings without incident. It was a good confidence builder.
No issues with the 920 bouncing from ground affects?

No issues with the 920 bouncing from ground affects?
It will touch the ground once or twice and raise up about a foot. It seemed stable when it did that but there no wind at all. I started hitting the kill switch after it first touched the ground and rose up then started the second descent I hit the switch when it was about 4 inches off the ground. It worked perfectly several times. Didn't have time to fly the pluses for a comparison yet.

It will touch the ground once or twice and raise up about a foot. It seemed stable when it did that but there no wind at all. I started hitting the kill switch after it first touched the ground and rose up then started the second descent I hit the switch when it was about 4 inches off the ground. It worked perfectly several times. Didn't have time to fly the pluses for a comparison yet.
The foot bounce is what I find annoying. I'll have to give the 4 inch kill switch a try. I do the the kill switch on the 480's to land them which gives a very nice landing even on sloped surfaces.

I do the kill switch from about 6 to 8 feet off of the ground and it eliminates the ground affect bouncing. This doesn't work for me on the 920 and appears to make the ground affect even worse. I think it's in the programming.

The foot bounce is what I find annoying. I'll have to give the 4 inch kill switch a try. I do the the kill switch on the 480's to land them which gives a very nice landing even on sloped surfaces.

I do the kill switch from about 6 to 8 feet off of the ground and it eliminates the ground affect bouncing. This doesn't work for me on the 920 and appears to make the ground affect even worse. I think it's in the programming.
I guess it could be the programming, but I hope the kill switch after the first bounce will solve the annoyance factor. I too have used it on the 480's but not routinely. Another thing I want to try is rocking the drone a bit at about 2 feet off the ground to see if that may clean up the rotor wash. Might help and also may worsen it. Anyway I gained some confidence on landing the 920 and will try to try the same test on the pluses when we're get another good day over here. I really appreciate this conversation.

If the descent is stopped to hover a moment a foot or so off the ground and then landed the bounce rarely occurs.

If the descent is stopped to hover a moment a foot or so off the ground and then landed the bounce rarely occurs.
I think that's true for the plus but not for the original

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval