Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

A solution for some GPS acquisition troubles

Just curious.........what was the temperature outside when you did the test flight?

To be honest, haven't flown it. Just noted the green Ready status and armed the drone. Temperature was nothing extraordinary, around +25 Celsius.

I know this is an old / ongoing thread but I had the same scenario. From acquiring to ready to acquiring etc. And as instructed here, it let it cook outside away from the normal obstructions etc. I don't often have the cycles to devote a lot of time for this, so I didn't let is sit for more than 90 minutes at a time.

There were a few folks here who suggested a longer period of time to build or populate it's tables, especially after a long term storage......4 hrs...that's what it took. Now, when I power up, it's no more than 60 seconds..consistently.

So to all you folks that have traveled this road before me...thank you for passing on your knowledge

I got out my H to see if it would fly after about 4 or more years and it has the no gps aquired even though it see up to 15 sats. Have the H sitting powered on to see if it can revive the gps battery. If not for a couple bucks I will buy a battery and see if that fixes it. Glad to have found this thread.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I got out my H to see if it would fly after about 4 or more years and it has the no gps aquired even though it see up to 15 sats. Have the H sitting powered on to see if it can revive the gps battery. If not for a couple bucks I will buy a battery and see if that fixes it. Glad to have found this thread.
It will take several hours of being powered on to charge and restore that battery.

Another thing to do is to connect the aircraft to the GUI program on a Windows PC and observe the Yaw value. If it has constantly rising or falling value and does not stabilize then it is likely that the Flight Controller in the aircraft will need to be replaced.

Well I looked at the voltage of the gps battery and it showed 2.55V with the board disconnected. Where do I find this TyphoonHGUI 1.2 that is from a safe site?

EDIT: Found it.

Last edited:
Yep, the yaw is either climbing or desending.
That is not a good sign. It means the IMU that is part of the FC has drifted out of tolerance. I will find the information from @h-elsner on the subject and post a link here. You may be able to obtain another FC from John at YuneecSkins.com.

Post in thread '1.28 firmware needed'
1.28 firmware needed

A simple test: Can you start the motors if you switched off GPS? If yes there is something with the GPS. If no, then there is a problem with the IMU.
I did a lot of investigation and here is the conclusion:
I'm still working on that IMU stuff but there is not much hope.

br HE

So I got another FC and yes it does get up to 17 sats and locks when on the ground. However when I take off it loses GPS lock and I have to land or go to manual.

Could it be the fact that I had one of the first gen FC they made that had the additional connector and I maybe need to do a firmware update or something else?

Attachments

• IMG_20220126_083401792.jpg
    IMG_20220126_083401792.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 14
So I got another FC and yes it does get up to 17 sats and locks when on the ground. However when I take off it loses GPS lock and I have to land or go to manual.

Could it be the fact that I had one of the first gen FC they made that had the additional connector and I maybe need to do a firmware update or something else?
Use the information from the document in this thread Way To Fix Drones project to retrieve your flightlogs and post them here. This will give us an opportunity to make a more educated guess as to where the problem is.

Also connect to the aircraft with the camera mounted and report the results in About Controller from the Settings Menu by posting a screenshot, photo, or text. This way we will know what firmware is installed on all parts of the system.

Ok here is what I have.

Attachments

• IMG_20220224_145208314_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20220224_145208314_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 8
Yeah, the firmware is way out of date. But I don't think that is the issue.
This short list of charts shows a lot of your system (including GPS stuff) is marching to a strange beat. The battery voltage seems to be beating the drum. But I am not really certain. The voltage anomalies could be interpreted as a bad battery, as a bad connection, or even as another victim of an unidentified culprit.
The logs you uploaded are only the telemetry from one "flight". We need the entire flightlog directory to look at historical data and to look at the concurrent data from the controller itself.
34Ford.jpg

Yeah, the firmware is way out of date. But I don't think that is the issue.
This short list of charts shows a lot of your system (including GPS stuff) is marching to a strange beat. The battery voltage seems to be beating the drum. But I am not really certain. The voltage anomalies could be interpreted as a bad battery, as a bad connection, or even as another victim of an unidentified culprit.
The logs you uploaded are only the telemetry from one "flight". We need the entire flightlog directory to look at historical data and to look at the concurrent data from the controller itself.
View attachment 27651
That change in flight mode from 16 to 3 is when the motors are armed. That battery at 15.3V is dragging down below 13.5V every time the motors are armed. A fully charged battery needs to be used. I’m surprised to find a Typhoon with that early firmware.

This is a second battery, but it is probably 3 or more years old that has been not used. It charges thru the controller to 100%. Don't know if I should buy another $40 battery.

This is a second battery, but it is probably 3 or more years old that has been not used. It charges thru the controller to 100%. Don't know if I should buy another $40 battery.
I think you are referring to the controller battery.
@WTFDproject and @DoomMeister are asking about the aircraft battery. It should read 16.6-16.8 volts on the screen of the ST16 when fully charged. If the voltage drops quickly when launching, the battery is likely unusable.

We are talking about the flight battery in the aircraft not the battery in the ST16. The battery you had installed in the aircraft was showing 15.2V with the motors off and as soon as you armed the motors it would drop to less than 13.5V (3.35V/cell, but more likely a bad cell in the pack). This was pulling the voltage down for the flight controller and causing a loss of GPS Ready along with other issues.

Do you have a flight battery that will charge fully so you can get a good capture of a FlightLog. You can even arm the motors, but not take off. Press B1 and hold for 3 seconds to disarm the motors.

Camera and gimbal FW belongs to very old TyphoonH_Ver2.10_A (the first one that I could found). This FW should come with Autopilot V1.15.
Autopilot V1.21 seems to be nowhere used. Maybe it was withdrawn. (TyphoonH_Ver2.15_A came with V1.15 and TyphoonH_Ver2.21_A with V1.26). I don't trust this FW combination that 34ford has.

I would update both, ST16 and drone independently using the SD-card procedure, not the official way to avoid FW incompabilities during update. Update should done with a full loaded and good battery - check this before...

br HE

Camera and gimbal FW belongs to very old TyphoonH_Ver2.10_A (the first one that I could found). This FW should come with Autopilot V1.15.
Autopilot V1.21 seems to be nowhere used.
OOPS.
Looks like I had a hand in this.
The original Flight controller in @34Ford's TH went bad and would not acquire GPS. I swapped FC boards with him, and sent him the FC from my own Typhoon H. I have his original board here to use for research. I just installed it in my TH, and yes, it has the original V1.15. (and it still does not acquire GPS)

I'm not sure where the V1.21 originated. My Typhoon H was purchased used from another Forum member a couple of years ago. But I swap this stuff around fairly often. I cannot say with certainty if the FC currently in @34Ford's TH was the "day 1" original board in my TH or not. The rest of my firmware (camera/controller) is current. Which implies (but does not confirm) V1.21 is at least compatible with newer firmware.

I believe the problem with the @34Ford's flight battery is the source of the current GPS loss. And would be the easiest thing to check.

@34Ford, if updating firmware/replacing flight battery is not successful, we can arrange for a meet in Morganton and swap Boards/Batteries/Firmware around until we get a winner.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval