Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

A word to the wise from the not so wise

Reaction score
Hi all...this is a follow up to my post I made about three weeks ago where I stated how much research I did on the H I had just ordered and about how prepared I was to fly the H when it arrives.
The H is a fantastic drone as long as you fly smart within its limits. Well, after three weeks of flying...I thought in my mind that I was one heck of a drone pilot and that the H would do most anything that I asked of it. This thought mode nearly cost me my drone today. I got really brave and went flying over a lake. I was so into flying over the lake that I forgot to set the timer I had been using on previous flights...I flew way out over the lake to the distance that it was visible..but just barely. At that time I realized that I had better start the return flight. Just as I turned around...I got the first low battery alert. I was a long way out but thought that I had plenty of time to get "Home" on shore. That thought process changed quickly as I suddenly got the final low battery warning as the screen on the ST16 changed From camera view to black with a visual low battery warning. I was still about 100 yards away and still over water when I lost control of the drone and my sticks were useless. I remembered the Home switch ...pushed the switch to the Home mode...and the drone headed my way...
I was still about 100 feet over water as I knew I was in major trouble... the drone Gods with me...the drone made it about ten feet on shore as it landed ....but suddenly tilted and tried to flip...the sticks would not work..but I remembered the article on red button landing. I pushed the kill button and the drone shut down to a safe landing.
The moral of this long post....is to tell new pilots...take it slow. Pay attention and don't do foolish flying like I did...as it all most cost me my drone.
Lesson Learned!

Last edited:
Love my H and everything its about, but that issue right there not being able to accurately see your battery and not just 'volts' is dangerous and these low bat warnings that'll just drop you in the water even if you technically still got power, however Im glad your bird lived to fly another day

No, the issue is not knowing where the real volt reading you should be aiming for to be back on the ground. And then adding an additional cushion when over water. I am very glad FlyingLow did not lose his H today, but the fact is he pushed it way too far, and he knows it. The critically low warning comes at 14.1V. You should be aiming to be landed at 14.4-14.5V.

Also FlyingLow, if you do not ID your batteries, you need to do that, so you can keep track of this one. Pushing the final voltage that low can contribute to that battery prematurely puffing. You do not want to use a puffed battery.

I agree with Eagle. Always aim to be safely on the ground with power to spare. 14.5-14.4v (14.4v as an absolute minimum) is the way to go. Ideally you should always aim never to get to the first warning at 14.3v.

Flying over water even for me, as an experienced pilot, is something I'll only do if the shot needs it and I prefer not to fly over water when it can be avoided. My view is that a crash on land will almost always provide you with the opportunity to salvage and repair the aircraft, or at least leave you with parts that you can sell or use as spare parts for another aircraft. A crash in water, on the other hand, leaves those salvage opportunities far more sparse.

I'm glad you got it back, FL. A close call indeed. As Eagle says, keep a close eye on that battery. Reaching such a low voltage wouldn't have done that battery's health any good.

Thanks for sharing your experience, FL. It ain't easy admitting to a mistake.

Edit. I notice you mentioned a timer. IMHO I don't think that s a wise thing to rely on. The duration of a flight is not a fixed endurance. Some flights you may get 18-19 minutes in the air whilst at other times you may be lucky to get 10 minutes. This all depend on factors such as temperature, wind speed, aggressiveness of the flight, etc. For example, over a week ago I was flying my H480 in 3C temperature (wind chill = 0c) and I got about 11 minutes out of the batteries. The same batteries on the previous outing were producing around 16 minutes of flight time in warmer conditions. Flight time, then, depends on the battery voltage...not a timer.

Last edited:
I agree with what FlushVusion said, but I too use a timer, it goes back to my days flying Ducted Fans and turbines where fuel depletion was almost a certain crash landing at best; unless you just happened to be in perfect position to glide back to the runway. I don't necessarily use it to monitor battery, but where it is placed on my sunscreen reminds me to always ascertain how much fuel/charge is left. I also use it to keep a record of flight time in general. I am always on the ground by 14.4 volts or before and no high speed or fast climbing after about 14.6 or so.

Edit: I meant to say 14.4 on the ground

Last edited:
FlyingLow; you should know better than that.;) When we were together, you flying my drone I remember saying practice practice practice and do not take any chances. You only had this thing for less than a month! Learn what your limitations are first before taking risks. In fact Never, Never take risks that you cannot control. We should to get together again. Sorry for being harsh.:D I think you mentioned you have your pilots license? Think of it this way how much fuel do I have to get to point A to B back to point A

FlyingLow; you should know better than that.;) When we were together, you flying my drone I remember saying practice practice practice and do not take any chances. You only had this thing for less than a month! Learn what your limitations are first before taking risks. In fact Never, Never take risks that you cannot control. We should to get together again. Sorry for being harsh.:D I think you mentioned you have your pilots license? Think of it this way how much fuel do I have to get to point A to B back to point A
Yep...I am fortunate that all is well!
No more Living on The Edge for me
I look forward to flying with you my friend!

Maybe us 3 can get together and dog fight:rolleyes:. Just kidding on the dog fight.

I agree with what FlushVusion said, but I too use a timer, it goes back to my days flying Ducted Fans and turbines where fuel depletion was almost a certain crash landing at best; unless you just happened to be in perfect position to glide back to the runway. I don't necessarily use it to monitor battery, but where it is placed on my sunscreen reminds me to always ascertain how much fuel/charge is left. I also use it to keep a record of flight time in general. I am always on the ground by 15.4 volts or before and no high speed or fast climbing after about 15.6 or so.
TyPilot.. do you really mean 15,4 on the ground? Not 14.4? If 15.4V How many minutes do you normally get in the air?

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I agree with Eagle. Always aim to be safely on the ground with power to spare. 14.5-14.4v (14.4v as an absolute minimum) is the way to go. Ideally you should always aim never to get to the first warning at 14.3v.

Flying over water even for me, as an experienced pilot, is something I'll only do if the shot needs it and I prefer not to fly over water when it can be avoided. My view is that a crash on land will almost always provide you with the opportunity to salvage and repair the aircraft, or at least leave you with parts that you can sell or use as spare parts for another aircraft. A crash in water, on the other hand, leaves those salvage opportunities far more sparse.

I'm glad you got it back, FL. A close call indeed. As Eagle says, keep a close eye on that battery. Reaching such a low voltage wouldn't have done that battery's health any good.

Thanks for sharing your experience, FL. It ain't easy admitting to a mistake.

Edit. I notice you mentioned a timer. IMHO I don't think that s a wise thing to rely on. The duration of a flight is not a fixed endurance. Some flights you may get 18-19 minutes in the air whilst at other times you may be lucky to get 10 minutes. This all depend on factors such as temperature, wind speed, aggressiveness of the flight, etc. For example, over a week ago I was flying my H480 in 3C temperature (wind chill = 0c) and I got about 11 minutes out of the batteries. The same batteries on the previous outing were producing around 16 minutes of flight time in warmer conditions. Flight time, then, depends on the battery voltage...not a timer.

I find your tip about the voltage reading vs clock as very useful!

I've been reading some posts here for at least a month now and this is my first post. I hope tips for safety flying and care of our TH and also tricks for the more advanced users will get posted on a sticky thread. These are quite handy for new and old flyers. :)

Public Service Announcement; The ST-16 displays aircraft battery voltage in two ways on the left side of the screen, in volts and as a 4 section bar with each section representing 25%. ST =16 voltage is displayed at the top right of the screen. Using a timer is great, as long as it it being used as a count up timer to record the length of the flight. As a count up timer they are pretty useless unless you always fly exactly the same way in exactly the same conditions for every flight.

Keep an eye on the aircraft numerical voltage display by developing a scan that includes that display every time you look at the screen. At 15 volts start paying more attention to it to establish how quickly the battery is being depleted. If the weather is very cold or very windy recognize before you take off your flight time will be significantly reduced, by up to half or more.

Great to read the day was saved. The battery may have taken a beating but the aircraft made it home.

I have a few comments. First it is good to fellow Floridians on this forum. I am in St. Augustine. Second. I almost lost my 480 in the intercostal. Same situation battery low and I did not fly straight back to my location. I lost control about 50 yards out. The H started to come down over the water. I flipped the RTH button. It gained altitude and landed about 10 feet on the shore. I think the H has a sensor that will try to prevent it from landing in water.

Reactions: FlyingLow
I have a few comments. First it is good to fellow Floridians on this forum. I am in St. Augustine. Second. I almost lost my 480 in the intercostal. Same situation battery low and I did not fly straight back to my location. I lost control about 50 yards out. The H started to come down over the water. I flipped the RTH button. It gained altitude and landed about 10 feet on the shore. I think the H has a sensor that will try to prevent it from landing in water.
Hello Fellow Floridian...happy to hear that your drone landing safely.
I think we both just got extremely lucky. I am sure we will both fly with out taking foolish risks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss