Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

about to throw in the towel

At one point I was going to drive to Ontario and not leave till my H was fixed. Getting all new stuff fixed it although my new ST 16 maybe a refurb as the serial number sticker is over another one.

Reactions: Brian Mackey
For what's it's worth, I was also very frustrated with three different warranty return trips for one purchase. I am it seems now out of the woods and so far everything is behaving well and I'm getting some confidence back. It maybe a slow process but it seems staying on their support people and logging your own conversations and holding them to understanding how patient you've been helps. I believe they now know that a run of TH built early had issues and what firmware updates don't correct become warranty repairs. I see the Wizzard perhaps as the culprit? I've been so concerned with getting everything right with ST16 that I'm not ready to try the wizzard at all yet.

Oh yeah.. flew a Mavic the other day. Pretty amazing and for the size and weight is got a lot going for it. Great indoor shooting solution.

I have an early one and can't find one thing wrong with it (as designed/built) except the function of the Journey mode which I only used once unsuccessfully. I suspect there is/was a batch of bad boards and/or GPS/compass but a thorough investigation was not performed to identify it. This happened with Pixhawk FC. The difference is 3DR did do a thorough investigation and found a mfg process problem, removed all Pixhawks from the shelves, offered replacements even if out of warranty thereby fixing the issue permanently.

For what's it's worth, I was also very frustrated with three different warranty return trips for one purchase. I am it seems now out of the woods and so far everything is behaving well and I'm getting some confidence back. It maybe a slow process but it seems staying on their support people and logging your own conversations and holding them to understanding how patient you've been helps. I believe they now know that a run of TH built early had issues and what firmware updates don't correct become warranty repairs. I see the Wizzard perhaps as the culprit? I've been so concerned with getting everything right with ST16 that I'm not ready to try the wizzard at all yet.

Oh yeah.. flew a Mavic the other day. Pretty amazing and for the size and weight is got a lot going for it. Great indoor shooting solution.

I sold the wizard as quick as I could hard enough to keep these things in the air manually LOL

Well they should know how to fix stuff shouldn't they? there is something wrong, the video on st16 is jerky, the stick is probably the issue or the gimbal or both Im just so tired of it all.

Brian, Did you send it to the Cali location, or one of the five satellite repair facilities? Cali is for warranty work, the others are not.

Also, under the table, I know that one of the best CS techs at Yuneec is also a UAS pilot, and a former UAS Service tech. He was recently notified that he will be re-assigned to the service department to as I will call it "Clean Up" and find out what the problems are and get the service center up to shape.. So this tells me they know there are problems and they are working to correct it. I hope your issues are resolved soon so you can enjoy the flight as you should be.

Brian, Did you send it to the Cali location, or one of the five satellite repair facilities? Cali is for warranty work, the others are not.

Also, under the table, I know that one of the best CS techs at Yuneec is also a UAS pilot, and a former UAS Service tech. He was recently notified that he will be re-assigned to the service department to as I will call it "Clean Up" and find out what the problems are and get the service center up to shape.. So this tells me they know there are problems and they are working to correct it. I hope your issues are resolved soon so you can enjoy the flight as you should be.

All my stuff is Ontario I know by now they are like OMG Give this Guy and 920 and send him
packing ;) but -- Im not the one that made a drone that Pilots found they could use commercially LOL so now they have to make it stable , well they should anyway :)

Last edited:

Yes i already know him ;) He has name like mine Only No B! LOL

This was an easy repair it was an out of focus camera -- then their super duper firmware fubared my st-16 and it was out of calibration so Now I have a unusable camera and an unusable st16 which will take another two weeks of my life to get resolved -- My buddy here in eagle has a mavic :)

I hope he can get it to provide sharp focus. In truth, I agree with Ant. We expect much too much from our "consumer drones". That they are named as such should be the first clue as anything consumer is designed, manufactured, and marketed at the lowest levels of materials and labor possible in order to maximize profitability for the manufacturer. There are zero standards for them to comply with. All the consumer drone manufacturers pump out a large number of sub standard products, but they get sold and they will or won't worry about them later. Some go to great lengths to provide the appearance of caring for the customer, some actually provide as much customer service as they can to make things right.

You may be inconvenienced but the manufacturer has not abandoned you. Like Ant, I have built custom camera rigs and can tell you your trials and tribulations are far less in what you are dealing with. You have someone to troubleshoot and perform all the corrections for you instead of having to figure it all out yourself. Much easier to keep sending it back until they get it right, or step up in cost and complexity for a true pro rig. Nobody is going to get pro level quality and reliability at consumer prices. Champagne tastes with fruit juice budgets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope he can get it to provide sharp focus. In truth, I agree with Ant. We expect much too much from our "consumer drones". That they are named as such should be the first clue as anything consumer is designed, manufactured, and marketed at the lowest levels of materials and labor possible in order to maximize profitability for the manufacturer. There are zero standards for them to comply with. All the consumer drone manufacturers pump out a large number of sub standard products, but they get sold and they will or won't worry about them later. Some go to great lengths to provide the appearance of caring for the customer, some actually provide as much customer service as they can to make things right.

You may be inconvenienced but the manufacturer has not abandoned you. Like Ant, I have built custom camera rigs and can tell you your trials and tribulations are far less in what you are dealing with. You have someone to troubleshoot and perform all the corrections for you instead of having to figure it all out yourself. Much easier to keep sending it back until they get it right, or step up in cost and complexity for a true pro rig. Nobody is going to get pro level quality and reliability at consumer prices. Champagne tastes with fruit juice budgets.

No he can't but he can make focus right, but can make sure I get right parts the first time and not have this on going for 6 months :) I do not expect too much I expect what they advertise !

By the way -That they are named as such should be the first clue as anything consumer is designed- Here's the Yuneec Add, --- and I don't think its fruit juice at 1300 bucks!

Professional Package
ST16 Transmitter
2 Batteries
IPS (Optical Flow Sensor)
Compatible wit ST12
Compatible with Typhoon Wizard
Backpack
Intel® RealSense™ technology

Not consumer :) I understand where you are coming from but, if you advertise a pro rig and pilots are making money then you kind of have to own, Its a Pro rig --

Last edited:
To call something "professional" does not make it so. People will sell their photos and videos for only a few bucks and call themselves professional but be far from it. Advertising and marketing use terminology intended to capture the naive', it happens daily and people fall for it in droves. The H has some nice features and generally performs well. Some do make a decent buck with it but regardless of what marketing calls it, it is not a pro level rig and never will be. It's consumer level with some consumers having professional aspirations. A good training rig might be more appropriate. Try building a rig fitted with pro level stuff someday and see for yourself if what I'm saying isn't true.

Just the gimbal on a pro rig runs twice or more what an entire RealSense H costs, so I feel what we have is a pretty **** good deal. The camera on a pro level Inspire runs double the price of an H, but some seem to think H reliability should be up there with Honda after paying for a Yugo. We build a multirotor where I work that costs more to build than an average home and that's before the payload is added. Many delude themselves into thinking Phantoms, H's, and other similarly priced drones are true commercial solutions. They are not and can't be simply because they don't meet any kind of industry standards. There are no industry standards at the consumer level. Some of the engines in my RC planes cost more than an H or Phantom but those that understand high end quality don't balk at paying more for better performance, and they understand that risks are reduced with the price of higher quality.

Too many are inexperienced with photography and drones in general and naively think they are going to run out and start a high revenue generation aerial photography business with toy level "consumer" equipment. Most can't figure out why they should not use auto camera settings, or how to make use of the manual settings provided as an alternative. A fair number of people having problems bring them on themselves simply because they don't understand how their systems function and do everything wrong from boot up through a firmware update. But they are quick to blame the equipment.

Consumer drones have their place but that place is not the foundation of a commercial enterprise. They can fill a niche, certainly, but people need to get a grip on reality and learn that quality has a price. Those willing to pay it are rewarded with better equipment, and end product. Realistically, things like an H, Phantom, Chroma, Autel, and Q should be viewed as disposable aerial assets. Use them as long as you can wherever they fit the need until they break, then buy another. If we have established our fee structures correctly all that should be factored into the hourly or day rates. Have an over water job offer? Hopefully you allow for the loss potential involved. For most I doubt that would be the case.

Yea, Yuneec has people making some big mistakes in performing C.S. work but Yuneec has not turned their back on their customers. Not even a little bit. I suspect they have grown faster than they allowed for and hired additional help without fully checking experience levels. It takes time to weed those out and replace them with better qualified people. So hang in there and it will get fixed.

Sorry about the rant but there's just too many "poor, poor pitiful me" threads and few seem to look at the bigger picture before reaching for the towel. People that buy any new product inside the first year of release should anticipate there's a potential for unexpected problems. I allowed for that before I pre-ordered my standard. Then again I knew my background and experience would allow to either deal with minor issues myself or chalk it up to a learning experience. I don't bet the bank on an unknown. Nor should anyone else.

Last edited:
Hey Brian and other h pilots, with the problems you guys are having is this after updates or stock standard aircraft, I've had mine in Aus for about 7 months, done non of the upgrades and not had an issue, flies great camera good, I don't fly commercely, but CASA in Aus has relaxed restrictions on smaller uav's which is good. Feed back would be good thanks guys

To call something "professional" does not make it so. People will sell their photos and videos for only a few bucks and call themselves professional but be far from it. Advertising and marketing use terminology intended to capture the naive', it happens daily and people fall for it in droves. The H has some nice features and generally performs well. Some do make a decent buck with it but regardless of what marketing calls it, it is not a pro level rig and never will be. It's consumer level with some consumers having professional aspirations. A good training rig might be more appropriate. Try building a rig fitted with pro level stuff someday and see for yourself if what I'm saying isn't true.

Just the gimbal on a pro rig runs twice or more what an entire RealSense H costs, so I feel what we have is a pretty **** good deal. The camera on a pro level Inspire runs double the price of an H, but some seem to think H reliability should be up there with Honda after paying for a Yugo. We build a multirotor where I work that costs more to build than an average home and that's before the payload is added. Many delude themselves into thinking Phantoms, H's, and other similarly priced drones are true commercial solutions. They are not and can't be simply because they don't meet any kind of industry standards. There are no industry standards at the consumer level. Some of the engines in my RC planes cost more than an H or Phantom but those that understand high end quality don't balk at paying more for better performance, and they understand that risks are reduced with the price of higher quality.

Too many are inexperienced with photography and drones in general and naively think they are going to run out and start a high revenue generation aerial photography business with toy level "consumer" equipment. Most can't figure out why they should not use auto camera settings, or how to make use of the manual settings provided as an alternative. A fair number of people having problems bring them on themselves simply because they don't understand how their systems function and do everything wrong from boot up through a firmware update. But they are quick to blame the equipment.

Consumer drones have their place but that place is not the foundation of a commercial enterprise. They can fill a niche, certainly, but people need to get a grip on reality and learn that quality has a price. Those willing to pay it are rewarded with better equipment, and end product. Realistically, things like an H, Phantom, Chroma, Autel, and Q should be viewed as disposable aerial assets. Use them as long as you can wherever they fit the need until they break, then buy another. If we have established our fee structures correctly all that should be factored into the hourly or day rates. Have an over water job offer? Hopefully you allow for the loss potential involved. For most I doubt that would be the case.

Yea, Yuneec has people making some big mistakes in performing C.S. work but Yuneec has not turned their back on their customers. Not even a little bit. I suspect they have grown faster than they allowed for and hired additional help without fully checking experience levels. It takes time to weed those out and replace them with better qualified people. So hang in there and it will get fixed.

Sorry about the rant but there's just too many "poor, poor pitiful me" threads and few seem to look at the bigger picture before reaching for the towel. People that buy any new product inside the first year of release should anticipate there's a potential for unexpected problems. I allowed for that before I pre-ordered my standard. Then again I knew my background and experience would allow to either deal with minor issues myself or chalk it up to a learning experience. I don't bet the bank on an unknown. Nor should anyone else.

No rant assumed all good info. Im not looking to make Hollywood movies I just want a bird that the camera works and the controller works and at the price point, I'm not asking for anything reasonable - I know well that yuneec is working hard, I just get frustrated that in 4 months I have not had both birds working like they should at the same time. And I think I have been really patient and understanding in that time. We are all different people and we all deal with things in our own way- Mine right now is frustration, not regret :)

Reactions: KBflyer
I don't think the 920 is a solution until the new version comes out. I have been looking at the 920 forum and there are a few horror stories there!

Stick with the H. I am lucky to have two machines that work well (subject to fully checking out the new October upgrade) so all is possible.

The problems with forum's is that you only read about horror stories. But nobody will tell if they have no problems.
Well i have my H (Euro version) form the beginning of June. The only 2 problems i had and have were losing wifi connection wile i raise my landing gear (it seems this happens a lot on euro versions of the TPH because of the limitations in Power output of the ST16 in europe, i have this still but not always) and the focussing of the caera was not well done. I refocused it myself and now it is spot on. I now ordered a PixAero lens to replace the yuneec lens. Otherwise i'm very happy with it. In my country there is the limitations of VLOS and also you almost cannot look on the display of the ST16. Needs to keep your bird insight visualy. For that i bought a VUFINE and i'm very happy with it.

Marnix

The problems with forum's is that you only read about horror stories. But nobody will tell if they have no problems.
Well i have my H (Euro version) form the beginning of June. The only 2 problems i had and have were losing wifi connection wile i raise my landing gear (it seems this happens a lot on euro versions of the TPH because of the limitations in Power output of the ST16 in europe, i have this still but not always) and the focussing of the caera was not well done. I refocused it myself and now it is spot on. I now ordered a PixAero lens to replace the yuneec lens. Otherwise i'm very happy with it. In my country there is the limitations of VLOS and also you almost cannot look on the display of the ST16. Needs to keep your bird insight visualy. For that i bought a VUFINE and i'm very happy with it.

Marnix

I think on this forum you will find lots of good stories or at least people (like myself) stating not having issues all is well etc.. I really dont have the right temperament sometimes, being in CS for so many years I had to meet a level of QA and now im old and grumpy and probably expect too much. its just when things are fine to a degree and then everything goes to crap starting whit the latest updated, i get frustrated.. The update messed up a controller, a camera , and I dont know if the H is screwy or not, but the landing gear wont go up issue is back as well. Takes several lever clicks to make it work. Its these kind of things that get me- I just want to wake up charge the batteries and get my $3000.00 worth of investment up and taking pictures :) I love the H that works I want to love both of them --

Understand Brian, especially the old and grumpy part. I'm there as well. I also work in a form of C.S. and have watched how things have changed over the last 12 years. The corporate focus is now more about mitigating or disguising an issue rather than actually finding a permanent corrective solution. I don't care for that at all but somewhere along the line high management types changed their outlook and decided a certain level of defects were acceptable, as long as a way could be found to put the blame somewhere else, and that some customers were more important than others.

Just to let you know, with all the problems you have encountered I'm quite surprised Ontario management hasn't taken a few new ones out of box and put them through all the paces to find one that functions perfectly in all aspects and sent it to you in exchange. They have to have more labor dollars invested in repair attempts than a new one costs to make.

Understand Brian, especially the old and grumpy part. I'm there as well. I also work in a form of C.S. and have watched how things have changed over the last 12 years. The corporate focus is now more about mitigating or disguising an issue rather than actually finding a permanent corrective solution. I don't care for that at all but somewhere along the line high management types changed their outlook and decided a certain level of defects were acceptable, as long as a way could be found to put the blame somewhere else, and that some customers were more important than others.

Just to let you know, with all the problems you have encountered I'm quite surprised Ontario management hasn't taken a few new ones out of box and put them through all the paces to find one that functions perfectly in all aspects and sent it to you in exchange. They have to have more labor dollars invested in repair attempts than a new one costs to make.

I have not yelled loud enough yet I guess I did copy the EXEC VP on my rants to Yuneec CS no response or intervention that I know of, I just do not understand the ship it in sir and wait, when you have done that already - and then try and pass of a camera as new

Ever see a new camera look like this, scratched, sd card installed with files on it, tape on box cut, missing the grey filter just the empty ring enclosed, oh and gimbal not completely mounted -- Yuneec says cameras are tested before shipping -- how can that be if they show up like this?

Attachments

• IMG_0749.JPG
    IMG_0749.JPG
    704 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0750.JPG
    IMG_0750.JPG
    724.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0764.JPG
    IMG_0764.JPG
    804.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0765.JPG
    IMG_0765.JPG