Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Adapter shorts out battery

After reading yalls exchange and looking at the picture u can see that he has the main power leads (red and black banana plugs) exposed. I bet they touched and shorted... I've had that happen before on a 2s lipo and it scared the c*&+ outta me

Reactions: Rayray
After reading yalls exchange and looking at the picture u can see that he has the main power leads (red and black banana plugs) exposed. I bet they touched and shorted... I've had that happen before on a 2s lipo and it scared the c*&+ outta me

did it smoke the battery ?

Righto, that banana plug thing is trouble waiting to happen. terrible idea.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
I have a couple of those adapters. I just haven't put them together yet. If it shorted out the battery it must have been assembled incorrectly.

Ah....yes......of course. Someone who is a bit careless with this adapter could easily cause it to short the battery. "It ain't foolproof."

Ah....yes......of course. Someone who is a bit careless with this adapter could easily cause it to short the battery. "It ain't foolproof."

wow Im glad i ran into this I have two adapters on order and a charger.. I would not have known it could blow the battery up..

Will do! I just figured the plugs would spark a bit, not weld together, this forum rocks!!! thank you :)

You can buy banana plugs that have a plastic shield over the plugs to prevent them shorting if touched together,they are spring loaded so retract into the adapter as you plug it in to the charger,a worthwhile investment for the saftey conscious

I bought both the kits and also two assembled units from Andreas at Quadcam. The first thing I did with the assembled units was cut off the banana connectors and solder on my own XT60. These battery adapters are a wonderful convenience (at least for me) but are accidents waiting to happen to newbies or the impatient types. I'm pretty sure that guy on the FB post accidentally let the two banana jacks to come in contact....instant short. @Brian Mackey please take care if you are new to LiPo's. They have a lot of power density and even a very brief shorting of the +/- mains could fail a weak cell and cascade the rest of the pack. Here's an example of why shorting the mains is so dangerous:

Assumption: 4S, 6200mAh, 30C battery
Therefore 6200 mAh X 30C = 186000 mAh or 186A discharge rate.
186A X 16V = 2,976W !!

Your battery will get very hot very fast. Leaving the mains shorted for just a few seconds will most likely cause a fire. That bloke on FB who noticed it was getting very hot and smoking did the right thing dropping it into a bucket of water (sand would have been better).

Please PLEASE folks be careful when using modified battery connectors and definitely pay attention to what you're doing!

Reactions: Brian Mackey
I bought both the kits and also two assembled units from Andreas at Quadcam. The first thing I did with the assembled units was cut off the banana connectors and solder on my own XT60. These battery adapters are a wonderful convenience (at least for me) but are accidents waiting to happen to newbies or the impatient types. I'm pretty sure that guy on the FB post accidentally let the two banana jacks to come in contact....instant short. @Brian Mackey please take care if you are new to LiPo's. They have a lot of power density and even a very brief shorting of the +/- mains could fail a weak cell and cascade the rest of the pack. Here's an example of why shorting the mains is so dangerous:

Assumption: 4S, 6200mAh, 30C battery
Therefore 6200 mAh X 30C = 186000 mAh or 186A discharge rate.
186A X 16V = 2,976W !!

Your battery will get very hot very fast. Leaving the mains shorted for just a few seconds will most likely cause a fire. That bloke on FB who noticed it was getting very hot and smoking did the right thing dropping it into a bucket of water (sand would have been better).

Please PLEASE folks be careful when using modified battery connectors and definitely pay attention to what you're doing!

I did not think of putting an XT-60 on the end of those adapters. I may do that in the future. It would be very easy to short those connectors if they were not plugged into something but that is the case with just about every charge cord I have. Need to plug it into the charger first then the battery.

I also removed the banana connectors and soldered XT60 on my four leads, although this was not done for safety concerns regarding shorting it was because I parallel charge my battery's via a 40amp paraboard which has XT60 connectors along with JST XH balance sockets, I also have some leads made up for EC3 connectors which fit another different setup, both XT60 and EC3 connectors are a good safe option to avoid accidentally shorting the leads, on some of my leads that have standard banana connectors I always make sure that they are plugged into the charger first, before connecting the other end to the battery then once charged remove the battery connector first this avoids any mishaps shorting the leads which can easily happen if not careful.

I also removed the banana connectors and soldered XT60 on my four leads, although this was not done for safety concerns regarding shorting it was because I parallel charge my battery's via a 40amp paraboard which has XT60 connectors along with JST XH balance sockets, I also have some leads made up for EC3 connectors which fit another different setup, both XT60 and EC3 connectors are a good safe option to avoid accidentally shorting the leads, on some of my leads that have standard banana connectors I always make sure that they are plugged into the charger first, before connecting the other end to the battery then once charged remove the battery connector first this avoids any mishaps shorting the leads which can easily happen if not careful.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I do and why I soldered on XT60 connectors. On a side note, nice run-on sentence, dude! ;)

Admittedly, I haven't read the entire thread but I do want to add this.

Always do FEMALE connectors on the SOURCE of the power provider and the MALE on the receiving end. Electronics 101. Actually, it would be more like pre-101. LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval