Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Advice on a new purchase please

Thanks to all who have responded. I agree with the histogram but that is still dependant on the dynamic range that can be captured. If its a high contrast scene, bright sun with lots of shadow then bracketing still helps. The need is not critically urgent so I will wait a bit and follow the threads

I misunderstood the operation in Sport mode and I've deleted that comment. @Ty Pilot has tested Sport mode and has shown that GPS is operating at all times. If GPS is lost the aircraft defaults to Angle mode with IPS on in order to maintain stable flight.

Sport Mode is essentially angle mode on steroids and GPS is defiantly engaged. IPS, is automatically engaged when there is loss of GPS so we still cannot turn off GPS by choice with the Plus. I have not yet tried flying into a building to see what the transition is like but plan on doing it soon.

As to the original questions, @DavoMr2 I have not tried the Pano function yet but I am pretty sure there is no image stabilization within the camera for long exposure times. I am still getting familiar with the Plus and decided I wanted to put the actual flying (and aircraft reliability) to the test first before I delve into the camera. While the camera is what this drone is all about, I wanted to ensure that the flying side can be relied upon - to do the camera work. I also work (Real Estate Photography) with my standard Typhoon H and purchased the Plus after seeing first first-hand some of the DNG (raw) images and various early user videos, mostly from Europe. Now that I have my hands on one, I am (thus far) not dis-satisfied with what I am seeing in terms of it's photographic capabilities but, where I think the Plus will shine in the end is as a superb video platform that does fantastic stills.

Don't get me wrong, the Photos from the DNGs compare with just about any similar sensor-equipped camera and I am quite happy with all aspects of what I am seeing in terms of photography - as long as it is from the DNG. The Jpegs from the The C23 are atrocious and that may be fixed in a future firmware update but; that is not likely to effect those who want the most out of this camera - photographically.

Sport Mode is essentially angle mode on steroids and GPS is defiantly engaged. IPS, is automatically engaged when there is loss of GPS so we still cannot turn off GPS by choice with the Plus. I have not yet tried flying into a building to see what the transition is like but plan on doing it soon.

As to the original questions, @DavoMr2 I have not tried the Pano function yet but I am pretty sure there is no image stabilization within the camera for long exposure times. I am still getting familiar with the Plus and decided I wanted to put the actual flying (and aircraft reliability) to the test first before I delve into the camera. While the camera is what this drone is all about, I wanted to ensure that the flying side can be relied upon - to do the camera work. I also work (Real Estate Photography) with my standard Typhoon H and purchased the Plus after seeing first first-hand some of the DNG (raw) images and various early user videos, mostly from Europe. Now that I have my hands on one, I am (thus far) not dis-satisfied with what I am seeing in terms of it's photographic capabilities but, where I think the Plus will shine in the end is as a superb video platform that does fantastic stills.

Don't get me wrong, the Photos from the DNGs compare with just about any similar sensor-equipped camera and I am quite happy with all aspects of what I am seeing in terms of photography - as long as it is from the DNG. The Jpegs from the The C23 are atrocious and that may be fixed in a future firmware update but; that is not likely to effect those who want the most out of this camera - photographically.

Thanks and I appreciate where you are coming from. The flight stability and reliability is essential, so far I have not heard much that is bad re this? Obviously there will be some failures with motors but that is why I am looking at a Hex rotor alternative, however when there is a problem, does it tend to be a motor and it can still land or a power issue where it will just drop?

Thanks and I appreciate where you are coming from. The flight stability and reliability is essential, so far I have not heard much that is bad re this? Obviously there will be some failures with motors but that is why I am looking at a Hex rotor alternative, however when there is a problem, does it tend to be a motor and it can still land or a power issue where it will just drop?
I haven't done anything stupid (yet) with the H Plus that would test the 5 Rotor mode. I did with the H however. My poor depth perception combined with over confidence sent my H into a 75' flag pole about 20' above the ground. It broke the prop on one motor, flipped up sideways and broke the opposite prop, dropped about 5' and went into hover. I flew it back and landed on 4 props and I actually couldn't tell anything was wrong until I shut down the motors.
Motor failures are extremely rare. The only ones I'm familiar with were the result of a crash. I have a sense the redesigned motors and ESC's on the H Plus are more robust and definitely more efficient. It also appears the flight control system is solid. The H is somewhat finicky regarding GPS and Compass functions if there is a temporary glitch. More flight time will tell the story.

It was just luck of the draw, that you took out opposite motors, and could maintain control. More often the scenario would be you brush up against a tree, shrubbery, fence or a wall... take out one prop, and with that one prop gone still maintain some level of control... but unless the pilot is able to quickly maneuver away from the obstruction (with that big-azz 5 motor warning in your face), the aircraft quickly also tends to yaw, so you rapidly take out the second prop next to the first casualty... at that point, the chances of successfully landing becomes rapidly diminished.

It was just luck of the draw, that you took out opposite motors, and could maintain control. More often the scenario would be you brush up against a tree, shrubbery, fence or a wall... take out one prop, and with that one prop gone still maintain some level of control... but unless the pilot is able to quickly maneuver away from the obstruction (with that big-azz 5 motor warning in your face), the aircraft quickly also tends to yaw, so you rapidly take out the second prop next to the first casualty... at that point, the chances of successfully landing becomes rapidly diminished.
What do you mean luck??? Just good planning and pilot skills. Oh wait. Nevermind. Um...ah...yeah....ah, see what you mean.

No luck involved in your piloting, I'm sure... successfully landing with 4 props proves that. :)

Agreed and my current Inspire 1 X5 quality is also good. I am not trying to match that, I am looking for a sub 2kg unit so I supose I am comparing the H+ to the Phantom 4. The main advantage seems to be the 6 rotors over 4 for redundancy, camera basic specs seem to be simillar as a 1" sensor @ 20mp but the H+ seems to be missing some functionality with bracketed exposures and there does not seem to be third party apps available like Dronepan etc. I am probably just a cautious buyer and want to make sure I am basing my decision correctly and I value the opinions of thouse who actually know :)

All great comments.... many things to consider.
I use multiple brands, all have their strengths.
As an alternate tangent: You mentioned a smaller platform, and also indicated an X5. There is a large difference in the X5 and X5R, not just the ability to capture RAW video but the sensor appears to provide much better range for stills too. The X5 & X5R are MFT with many lens options to provide wider F stop, FOV, lens power, or a few zoom lenses. The RAW ability for the video is hard to match, but it's a pricey upgrade and it's proprietary SSD on-board cards are also pricey. Both are available much less on various sites (Adorama) with the I2 X5S now common. The licenses for CinemaDNG and Apple ProRes are included in the X5R where the I2 X5S requires additional license purchases & keys to fully utilize the RAW CineCore.

If you're comfortable with the I1v2, comfortable with the 3rd party autonomous apps and RC & Software camera controls. The need for an I2 or H Plus with new sensors wouldn't be a strong need if you're succeeding with the bare essentials platform of the I1v2. I'd consider adding to the I1 capabilities with lenses & cameras.

A few short IMO comments on the sited differences:
The Hex vs Quad debate... I'll state and then (knock on wood) next week have an occurrence... LOL!
I've not experienced a motor failure on I1's, not wittnessed one with a professional pilot... not that they won't happen... just not experienced. With all the I1's on cinema sets with crew, casts and other hardware below; and the number of I1's in multiple service roles it's not been a major concern. On site or on-set insurance policies don't place higher risk on quads, it's basically the value of package and camera & lenses. Newer Professional products across the spectrum contain multiple failsafe redundant circuits to the motors, indicating most failures are circuits not the motors. Doesn't dismiss it, just not one of my major concerns.

Support: Phone support "is" Yuneec and they are KING! I personally haven't had the best of luck with Yuneec service, but that was a H920 & Camera, Discontinued... although newer than the Inspire 1 series. Phone support for DJI; Practically doesn't exist unless you have the Vendor channel, but as with Yuneec, there are outstanding Vendors to assist. Chat sessions, I've had great success with DJI. They are quick and informative... need the correct URL's. Sending a DJI unit in for repair used to be a black hole; the repair process over the last 12-18months has improved dramatically, excellent tracking of progress, good turn-around (3-5 days), and added an easy to navigate online listing of most of the hardware & cost to replace/repair for all products. That's pretty good when you compare the volume of repairs. A few recent examples: I've picked up a few DJI Z3's that were INOP, sent in for Repair wrapped in bubble wrap and basically received a new camera in a new case both under $100 each, one was 4 days, the other 5 days... all shipping both ways paid by DJI. Ebay purchase 2nd hand, Out of warranty CrystalSky Ultra failed & repaired no cost in 4 days.

If you're wanting a new platform & camera to experience, I'd say get the Yuneec. I enjoy multiple brands, they have their differences. Knowing multiple platforms I personally think is a positive. The flight characteristics are different, something to learn and adjust. The GPS behavior is different, I lean toward the DJI. The batteries are huge difference, I fail to see why DJI batteries carry their price, and the Yuneec batteries are so much easier to service if needed. For the trail & small portability, to me requires a small foldable package, that might compromise your photographic needs.

Dougcjohn,

You mentioned cost of insurance in your previous post, specifically with cost differences between quad and hex. There’s no reason for differentiation as carriers are charging more for just basic drone liability than they do for the average full scale with lability and hull insurance. For example, I can get $1 mil liability with full hull and avionics coverage for about $550.00/year with a $1,000.00 deductible. For price reference put the 152 value at between $18k to $22k. For a Typhoon H just basic liability will run in the area of $500.00/year (the 920 costs more) and any hull, controller, or payload coverage will add considerably to that while only covering about half the value of the hull or payload. Which has the higher loss factor should a crash occur? Which has the larger loss histories?

Realistically the insurance carriers have us pants down and bent over while they freely rifle our wallets. They don’t have any actuarial tables predicated on loss histories so they’ve thrown out figures to determine if we’ll pay them. As the number of drone insurers is few they have a captive market and no need (desire?) to be competitive or differentiate by class.

Dougcjohn,

You mentioned cost of insurance in your previous post, specifically with cost differences between quad and hex. There’s no reason for differentiation as carriers are charging more for just basic drone liability than they do for the average full scale with lability and hull insurance. For example, I can get $1 mil liability with full hull and avionics coverage for about $550.00/year with a $1,000.00 deductible. For price reference put the 152 value at between $18k to $22k. For a Typhoon H just basic liability will run in the area of $500.00/year (the 920 costs more) and any hull, controller, or payload coverage will add considerably to that while only covering about half the value of the hull or payload. Which has the higher loss factor should a crash occur? Which has the larger loss histories?

Realistically the insurance carriers have us pants down and bent over while they freely rifle our wallets. They don’t have any actuarial tables predicated on loss histories so they’ve thrown out figures to determine if we’ll pay them. As the number of drone insurers is few they have a captive market and no need (desire?) to be competitive or differentiate by class.

PatR, totally agree with personal liability & property insurance... as with all our other toys, collectables, and Wife's sparkly things. Even life insurance, as a Stg3-4 cancer survivor... even though clean, cost of insurance is out of reach... in fact most won't even touch me with a policy offering. They are in control & profit highly, more than the "transfer of risk" value that was the original marketing of Insurance... back in the day.

I tend to shorten my writings due to reader's wondering eyes syndrome... Re Insurance: several cinema sites may require or more so "offer" personal property (drone) insurance for a requested risky operation. Present a Matrice M600 with a RoninMX hanging a full size camera system (their camera) instructed to get the visual are requested to fly 1 foot above vegetation field for the special effect they can later speed up. Their on-site insurance policy (I think it's like a Lloyd's or similar) doesn't factor in motor failure, but does factor speed, pilot's skillset, and mostly value of hardware to obtain a policy value. I've heard a few Wind Generator farms or Oil Rig inspections offer similar if they request operations on not so ideal flying days. Other similar examples with projected high risk, the factoring of the Hex vs Quad isn't one, but a $25K package vs a $10K package at risk and the environment is factored. The same policies are often presented for I2 Pilot's requested to perform risky maneuvers; like off the windshield of a stunt car around a track. Anything that has a high probability of damage to property or injury.

Ahhh, NO... I'm not that privy to get these cool jobs; although I've chatted with a few.

Ahhh, NO... I'm not that privy to get these cool jobs; although I've chatted with a few.

Same here, but a review of some high risk flying recently done has caused me to make those operations a thing of the past. The potential results are far greater than what insurance could ever offset.

Same here, but a review of some high risk flying recently done has caused me to make those operations a thing of the past. The potential results are far greater than what insurance could ever offset.
I was chatting to a retired Fire Chief, he was indicating using drones to fly into a burning building for a quick inspection of life or room conditions with knowledge the drone would be destroyed and not make back out. They were playing with a possible modification of the Tello... cheap, fast, good video, non-GPS... basically a throw away. Keep a few dozen on a truck. Saves lives in the end. The military started experimenting with little forward scout and another with a sm payload greeting for the non-welcome village guests. Both throw away drones. Getting very cool, at times I wish this all occurred 30-40 yrs ago... I’d be in line! Can’t say I wished I was 30-40 yrs younger to do it now... wouldn’t care to repeat a few years of experience builders. :rolleyes:

That’s something I certainly understand. I came into that side of things when they thought they knew what they wanted to do, only to find out they would never be satisfied with what they had. Unfortunately, everything they could ever want is always focused on the same 3 things; power, control, and death. Those still naive’ manage to find a few accidentally positive benefits.

In another life I thought all that stuff pretty cool. A word that might describe how I view things now is probably “jaded”.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smyers