Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Afraid of New Typhoon H

Reaction score
I just received my brand new typhoon h from Yuneec yesterday.
doing some test flying in angle mode. All went good, I brought it down to 8 foot high 25 foot away from me and decided to test obstacle avoidance.
I flipped obstacle avoidance on and smart mode. all of a sudden it started to toilet bowl on me.
I switched back to angle mode and wanted to bring it down. It would not come down, everything was calibrated well. Luckily I could ascend so it would not drift into a tree. I continued to try to bring it down without any luck. I took it out of GPS mode to try to fly it manually to bring it home. Long story short I was able to get it back safely. I do not like this erratic Behavior. tomorrow is another day. this drone is brand new but without warranty due to the previous one having a fly away. so if I lose this typhoon H I am out of luck.
Any responses to this post will be appreciated.
Keith Kuhn

Could you upload all the telemetry files in zipped format? Curious if any errors popped up during that flight.

Don't forget to check your remote in hardware monitor as well as by double tapping the battery icon (before taking off) to check for any problems on the sticks Keith.

Greetings!

Thanks Jules
I will do that when I test it today.
Keith Kuhn

Don't forget to check your remote in hardware monitor as well as by double tapping the battery icon (before taking off) to check for any problems on the sticks Keith.

Greetings!
Hi Jules! You wrote: "by double tapping the battery icon (before taking off) to check for any problems on the sticks" Which Icon, ST16 or H, and what will I see...? Can you pls explain, never heard of that before.

TH's have also been known to have occasional landing problems where they just won't go below 10m, even with the landing gear down. 2 things can usually save it when this is the case: RTH / Home mode will usually land it, or you can tap the red button, which will drop it 1 ft at a time, being careful not to hold that button down until it is within an inch of the ground.

Sometimes, jumping up to 100 ft then slowly back down will reset that too. Or failing that, keep trying, and maintain maximum throttle down, and it should eventually VERY SLOWLY start to creep down. Last resort is to get it low enough to hand catch and do that, or, less ideally, wait for the battery to get to 3rd warning at which point it will definitely land itself and your only job is to decide where that will happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: KEITH KUHN
TH's have also been known to have occasional landing problems where they just won't go below 10m, even with the landing gear down. 2 things can usually save it when this is the case: RTH / Home mode will usually land it, or you can tap the red button, which will drop it 1 ft at a time, being careful not to hold that button down until it is within an inch of the ground.

Sometimes, jumping up to 100 ft then slowly back down will reset that too. Or failing that, keep trying, and maintain maximum throttle down, and it should eventually VERY SLOWLY start to creep down. Last resort is to get it low enough to hand catch and do that, or, less ideally, wait for the battery to get to 3rd warning at which point it will definitely land itself and your only job is to decide where that will happen.

I hear you brother
I have been through a lot with these typhoon H s I will continue to test this typhoon and keep it in Los.
When it was up at 25 foot altitude
I held the throttle down for quite a while with no response. I maintained my cool just long enough to get it back. Thanks for your info stay tuned I will keep you posted.
Keith Kuhn

I just received my brand new typhoon h from Yuneec yesterday.
doing some test flying in angle mode. All went good, I brought it down to 8 foot high 25 foot away from me and decided to test obstacle avoidance.
I flipped obstacle avoidance on and smart mode. all of a sudden it started to toilet bowl on me.
I switched back to angle mode and wanted to bring it down. It would not come down, everything was calibrated well. Luckily I could ascend so it would not drift into a tree. I continued to try to bring it down without any luck. I took it out of GPS mode to try to fly it manually to bring it home. Long story short I was able to get it back safely. I do not like this erratic Behavior. tomorrow is another day. this drone is brand new but without warranty due to the previous one having a fly away. so if I lose this typhoon H I am out of luck.
Any responses to this post will be appreciated.
Keith Kuhn

Keith,

Toilet bowl as in violent circling around the drain, or more like oscillations, back and forth perhaps in a widening oval?

Makes a big difference.

The latter sounds more like compass/gps issues, as I have personally witnessed. A good recal of everything usually took care of that, along with good sat counts (visible) and a good flying location.

Will be watching for your updates.

Jeff

Keith,

Toilet bowl as in violent circling around the drain, or more like oscillations, back and forth perhaps in a widening oval?

Makes a big difference.

The latter sounds more like compass/gps issues, as I have personally witnessed. A good recal of everything usually took care of that, along with good sat counts (visible) and a good flying location.

Will be watching for your updates.

Jeff

Thanks for your concerns, it may be awhile before I get to these issues.
I am going to send some files to a friend so he can see what went on.
In the telemetry. Keith

I hear you brother
I have been through a lot with these typhoon H s I will continue to test this typhoon and keep it in Los.
When it was up at 25 foot altitude
I held the throttle down for quite a while with no response. I maintained my cool just long enough to get it back. Thanks for your info stay tuned I will keep you posted.
Keith Kuhn

It is possible that the POT on the accelerator stick is loose. If so the stick will not respond properly. Check you hardware monitor to see if it is responding correctly.

It is possible that the POT on the accelerator stick is loose. If so the stick will not respond properly. Check you hardware monitor to see if it is responding correctly.

Thanks
I will check that I also have some contact cleaner
Keith

Contact cleaner will not resolve the issue if the pot is loose. There are two very tiny screws that hold the POT on the joystick assembly. The POT through use wears and the screws no longer hold it in place. The movement is barely enough to see, however this minute movement keeps the POT from registering the movement of the control so it does not react to the stick movement. If you go into the hardware monitor you can watch the reaction of J1 - J4. When you move it and there is little or slow response, you will see what I mean. Some have placed a drop of hot glue to hold the POT in place and it corrects the problem. However, if not done correctly the problem returns. You may also buy the whole stick assembly for $23 from Carolina Dronz and swap it out. "My" recommendation is to put a drop of hot glue and securely fasten all of the POTs when putting the ST-16 back together to prevent the problem from occurring in the future. Good Luck with whichever way you decide.

Contact cleaner will not resolve the issue if the pot is loose. There are two very tiny screws that hold the POT on the joystick assembly. The POT through use wears and the screws no longer hold it in place. The movement is barely enough to see, however this minute movement keeps the POT from registering the movement of the control so it does not react to the stick movement. If you go into the hardware monitor you can watch the reaction of J1 - J4. When you move it and there is little or slow response, you will see what I mean. Some have placed a drop of hot glue to hold the POT in place and it corrects the problem. However, if not done correctly the problem returns. You may also buy the whole stick assembly for $23 from Carolina Dronz and swap it out. "My" recommendation is to put a drop of hot glue and securely fasten all of the POTs when putting the ST-16 back together to prevent the problem from occurring in the future. Good Luck with whichever way you decide.

thanks I will definitely check this out and get back to you so you can know what the problem is or was.
Keith

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33