Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Aircraft symbol in display

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to flying drones and this forum. My primary reason for getting involved with drones was because I like to take photos and videos (most of which are landscapes). However, after getting and flying my Typhoon H pro I am finding I like flying for the sake of flying also. I have a private pilots license (w/instrument rating) but haven't flown in years so I guess it's still in my blood.

I started out flying my Typhoon H in smart mode as I'm sure a lot of people do but I have read that it is best to learn to fly in Angle mode as quickly as possible so as to have more direct control over the drone and be able to get out of difficult situations easier. So the last time I was out that is exactly what I did but quickly got confused. I expected that the point of the V shaped craft (in the display) would be the front of the drone but that didn't always seem to be the case. There where times where the point faced the top of the screen (which was pointed toward the drone) and the drone flew toward me (and visa versa). Also, there were times that while having it pointed toward the drone and I pressed the joystick toward the top of the control (forward) the drone flew at roughly 45 degrees from straight forward.

Could this be an issue with the compass calibration? I was not getting a calibration error though. Also, does the ST-16 have a compass that needs to be calibrated? And if so should they be done at the same time? The only thing that suggested to me that it wasn't the compass calibration was the idea of the drone flying 180 degrees from the aircraft symbol in the display at times.

Hi and welcome. Check this out, the Green Arrow. See the little Magnifying Glass at top right of every page? That is Search, and it works quite well.
Just come on back with any questions. Members are happy to help new owners.
Green Arrow Explained

Hi there Rayray! Thanks so much for the quick reply. I just read over the article and have to admit it's going take some flying time to get that concept straight and planted in my brain. One of the things that might be making that concept foreign to be is when I flew a Cessna I couldn't spin the plane around on it's axis or fly sideways in line with the wings. Aside from that the only question I have is why didn't they just make the home position a circle or dot rather than something that looks like a stealth bomber and implies that it is the aircraft?

Also, I don't remember seeing the cross in the center of the display. I'll have to look for it when I get home.

Hi TurboJG, and welcome. From experience, don't takeoff in Smart Mode if you are less that 25' away from the H. The drone will automatically flyaway until it gets past the 25'. Stick motion in Smart Mode is relative to your position regardless of orientation. I did this once and while the drone didn't fly away I couldn't get it to come back inside the virtual Smart Circle around me. Also, in Smart Mode there is a virtual Geo Fence of 300' around you. This can be changed in the GUI. Angle mode doesn't care about the Smart Circle or Geo Fence and orientation does matter so right stick (if in Mode 2) aileron and elevator work as expected and are inverted when the drone is facing nose in. There's more but that should be a good start.

Greg

Reactions: abinder
And if you get disorientated in Angle mode, just take your hands off the sticks, get your 'bearings', and then continue. If everything is working properly in Angle mode it will just hover in place when you take your hands off the sticks. (As long as you have enough battery left.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for all the information. I already discovered about taking off with Smart Mode ON when I saw the drone backing away from me during one take off.

So is it really possible to fly the drone using just the screen in Angle Mode? I'm assuming with the cross gone (with the latest update) the center of the display is still the drone location!?

What then does the rotation of the green arrow indicate if it's the home location? And... How can one use obstacle avoidance in Angle Mode if it's not possible to tell which way the drone is facing as it's flying?

Are there any articles, books or videos available to learn how to fly a drone in Angle Mode. I'm assuming that Angle Mode has been around a lot longer than Smart Mode. What mode do you guys fly with?????

Thanks guys for all the information. I already discovered about taking off with Smart Mode ON when I saw the drone backing away from me during one take off.

So is it really possible to fly the drone using just the screen in Angle Mode? I'm assuming with the cross gone (with the latest update) the center of the display is still the drone location!?

What then does the rotation of the green arrow indicate if it's the home location? And... How can one use obstacle avoidance in Angle Mode if it's not possible to tell which way the drone is facing as it's flying?

Are there any articles, books or videos available to learn how to fly a drone in Angle Mode. I'm assuming that Angle Mode has been around a lot longer than Smart Mode. What mode do you guys fly with?????

When you're learning, just keep the camera pointing forward. That way, its facing whatever you see on the controller's screen and if the arrow is pointing up, then it's facing you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace