Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

airport shoot downs

Reaction score
i assume most of u know that airports can send out a signal to recover your drone,if u r too close to an airport,meaning if they can do that what else is going on im sticking with cheep planes for now till this stuff gets resolved,i still fly my xk drone i have no problems with it,and my hubson,i think im going to put it up for sale soon it s a beautiful drone but with too many flaws like a pretty woman lol jk ladies

???????????:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

i assume most of u know that airports can send out a signal to recover your drone,if u r too close to an airport,meaning if they can do that what else is going on im sticking with cheep planes for now till this stuff gets resolved,i still fly my xk drone i have no problems with it,and my hubson,i think im going to put it up for sale soon it s a beautiful drone but with too many flaws like a pretty woman lol jk ladies

Old news
Feb 25, 2016
The FAA says it can now detect drones flying near airports and find the UAV's controllers on the ground.
Defense contractor CACI, which successfully tested its SkyTracker at the Atlantic City International Airport. The technology triangulates the radio signals

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Some airports may have anti drone incursion hardware but they are very few and far between.

But even so - this is why we have rules about flying next to airports - Don't. Problem solved. No one gets shot down.

Meanwhile most of my RC events that I attended for many years were oddly held - at Airports. Go Figure. ?

Meanwhile most of my RC events that I attended for many years were oddly held - at Airports. Go Figure. ?

Like any good predator... conserving energy by attracting the prey to you... ?

• Haha
Reactions: Ty Pilot
My flying field is 2 miles north of detroit metro airport, we have permission to fly there without contacting ATC, planes go right by us all the time, never has there been a problem.

Reactions: Phaedrus
My flying field is 2 miles north of detroit metro airport, we have permission to fly there without contacting ATC, planes go right by us all the time, never has there been a problem.

Moving forward the FAA will have a formal procedure for fixed sites within Class B, C, D, E (surface) airspace to obtain authorization to fly. Your history is an excellent example of how this has worked in the past on an informal basis. There are a large number of clubs in similar situations. They should have very few problems working out that formalized authorization. Your history proves that RC can operate safely near even some of the busiest airports in the country. Kudos!!

I will follow up on that.
My son is in a Police officer and he patrols around and in the Sarasota International Airport.

ALSO I HAVE FIRST HAND experience ,4 years ago i was flying my dji drone on private property near the ball field when a man came up to me and said not to fly anymore cause it distracted the younger players i said i would be done in 5 min well he went to his car got some kind of radio out or a scanner 30 seconds later drone came down wobbling when it hit the ground he tried to get it i got there first and he said let that be a warning and went back to coaching the team so tell me what happened,this was 4 years ago so what do they have now

You got duped!

Drones ride on a frequency, all he has to do is interfere using the same frequency. heck cell towers use the same frequency, fly to close and down you can go.
You could have reported him to law enforcement, better yet the FAA and filed a complaint. It's a federal offense to bring down a drone!

Wouldn’t the FCC have an issue with someone using radio frequency in a malicious manner like that?

Assuming the story is true, what is the coach doing with a device that is most likely illegal to operate under FCC rules. Most likely way over legal power limits and it would have been messing with nearby WiFi networks as well.

Any way you want to slice it you won’t have any trouble if you fly within the law. An airport facility is under jurisdiction of the same FAA and FCC as us and has to abide by the rules the same as we do.

Edit: I got beat to the punch.

Frequency jammers have been available and used for a very long time. Just about any level HAM operator can construct one. Because they can be obtained does not mean all airports and LEA’s have them. The ones that do are the exception rather than the norm. The individual using a mini jammer to down the drone was likely using a tool many have obtained to disrupt cell phones in public areas. Not the least bit legal under FCC regs for the general public but they are obtainable.

Unless the OP can provide reference links to officially substantiate his claims I’m afraid all he’s doing is grand standing to gain some attention. That development of drone disruptive technology has long been known but wide spread deployment of the technology has yet to occur.

As for military agencies, any that employ indirect fire tracking radar can knock your drone out of the sky quite easily. Other military agencies have tools to jam any frequency at long distances.

Dan, I am pretty sure many (or most) operators of modern multi rotors are fully aware that there is an industry of 'counter drone technology' springing up side by side with the advancement of the modern 'Drone'. A quick Google search of this is easy, and brings up many hits. No news there.

What we as operators of these aircraft need to do is - First and Foremost; arm ourselves with knowledge - primarily, of laws that pertain to the flight of UAV's. Thats really 95% of the battle - know where you can fly and where you can't. Law enforcement and airports having the ability to defend certain infrastructure in the modern age, is no different than seeing a Policeman on the street wearing a side arm. Can he shoot someone? Yes, but what must you do to have them draw their weapon?

I have been flying things as a remote pilot for 40 years and I have come to a few conclusions. ;)
  • Those that Do Not fly 'drones', RC or what have you; are completely ignorant of their capabilities and this is further aggravated by. . . .
  • A] A dishonest and disingenuous main stream media that creates repetitious, misrepresentations of UAV's in all forms of visual imagery and actual data
  • B] Operators of said Drones and RC aircraft not having the knowledge and ability to properly interpret and refute the above
  • C] Operators of said Drones and RC aircraft not having sufficient knowledge of all of the rules pertaining to all aspects of their operations and thus - fueling the dishonest and disingenuous media.
Its a viscous cycle in my opinion. We are either part of the problem or part of the solution and I urge us to be the latter.

Dan, I am pretty sure many (or most) operators of modern multi rotors are fully aware that there is an industry of 'counter drone technology' springing up side by side with the advancement of the modern 'Drone'. A quick Google search of this is easy, and brings up many hits. No news there.

What we as operators of these aircraft need to do is - First and Foremost; arm ourselves with knowledge - primarily, of laws that pertain to the flight of UAV's. Thats really 95% of the battle - know where you can fly and where you can't. Law enforcement and airports having the ability to defend certain infrastructure in the modern age, is no different than seeing a Policeman on the street wearing a side arm. Can he shoot someone? Yes, but what must you do to have them draw their weapon?

I have been flying things as a remote pilot for 40 years and I have come to a few conclusions. ;)
  • Those that Do Not fly 'drones', RC or what have you; are completely ignorant of their capabilities and this is further aggravated by. . . .
  • A] A dishonest and disingenuous main stream media that creates repetitious, misrepresentations of UAV's in all forms of visual imagery and actual data
  • B] Operators of said Drones and RC aircraft not having the knowledge and ability to properly interpret and refute the above
  • C] Operators of said Drones and RC aircraft not having sufficient knowledge of all of the rules pertaining to all aspects of their operations and thus - fueling the dishonest and disingenuous media.
Its a viscous cycle in my opinion. We are either part of the problem or part of the solution and I urge us to be the latter.
WELL FOR NOW IM FLYING THE eflight planes the 3-4 oz ones,good flying planes and you dont need the faa numbers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval