Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Alternative apps for camera

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is any kind of alternative app we can use on the st16, or phone for flying and better control of the camera, like maybe an app that would let you choose the bitrate that the video records at?

I have a feeling somewhere around the not, there's an app that will let you record Wi-Fi video while also letting you control the bitrate that it record that, instead of having preset modes that choose the bitrate for you.

Any ideas?

Nothing I'm aware of will do what your looking for.

What resolution are you shooting your video at? 4K?

Nothing I'm aware of will do what your looking for.

What resolution are you shooting your video at? 4K?
Well I'm trying to shoot at 1080p 120 frames but I noticed with a low bitrate the video comes out choppy because of the cropped in image, almost looks like 480p.

I figured if we could raise the bitrate to its Max 60mbps, then it should come out with a more clear image that we can slow down for more cinematic shots

I'm hoping you're shooting with a "U3" micro SD card. If its not "U3" you will likely have issues with write speeds for video.

Another thing to consider is the shutter speed you're shooting at. You might want to try shooting with a shutter speed of 120-240 and see if that helps with the chop.

As noted above the SD card is very important for write speeds. The other thing I hope you are doing is transferring the video to your computers hard drive to get a smoother video. You said you are shooting at 1080p 120 frames. So that is 120 frames per second making your computer work really hard to watch your video. You can try this video player that in most cases will run choppy videos a lot better then normal players.
Home · MPC-HC

Reactions: rdonson
I'm hoping you're shooting with a "U3" micro SD card. If its not "U3" you will likely have issues with write speeds for video.

Another thing to consider is the shutter speed you're shooting at. You might want to try shooting with a shutter speed of 120-240 and see if that helps with the chop.
I have a U3 32GB micro SD card

As noted above the SD card is very important for write speeds. The other thing I hope you are doing is transferring the video to your computers hard drive to get a smoother video. You said you are shooting at 1080p 120 frames. So that is 120 frames per second making your computer work really hard to watch your video. You can try this video player that in most cases will run choppy videos a lot better then normal players.
Home · MPC-HC
I usually switch between MPC player and VLC player, I don't like how MPC isn't all that customizable, it's just a bare-bones player and after the video is over it will shut down

That is why MPC player works so well, it is bare bones and comes with codecs other players don't. After all a player is only suppose to play the video and do no more.

@Covetingace tell us about the capabilities of you computer where you're seeing the choppy video. Fast CPU? Good video card? RAM?

If you'd like to send a portion of your video for one of us to check out the choppiness on our gear just say the word.

@Covetingace tell us about the capabilities of you computer where you're seeing the choppy video. Fast CPU? Good video card? RAM?

If you'd like to send a portion of your video for one of us to check out the choppiness on our gear just say the word.
I custom built my computers, here are the specs:

Cpu: I7-8700k OC to 4.9Ghz

Ram: 16gb DDR4 Trident Z RGB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 TI FTW3

Mobo: Asus ROG Z-370 E

HDD: Samsung 960 NVME 512gb + 4TB
7200rpm + 2TB 7200rpm

Case: Coolermaster Masterbox 5 Pro

Cooler: Coolermaster HL120L

Not really all that much choppiness in the video just the fact that 1080p looks like 720P

@Covetingace It seems like you've got enough compute power and graphics power. I'm not very familiar with the gaming GPU though.

Still, the offer remains if you'd like another eyeball and computer on a portion of your video.

@Covetingace It seems like you've got enough compute power and graphics power. I'm not very familiar with the gaming GPU though.

Still, the offer remains if you'd like another eyeball and computer on a portion of your video.
Yeah after I get back I'll try to upload a sample so I can post on here

A high end Alienware laptop can process 4k video using Adobe software 76 times faster than the best Mac.

Interesting...

The iMac Pro can be configured with:
18 core Xeon
128 GB RAM
4TB SSD
Radeon Pro Vega 16 GB VRAM

I’m surprised that a laptop would be 76 times faster than that unless Adobe Premier is a pig that can’t use a lot of cores or threads.

I don’t use Adobe video products so it’s all a mystery to me.

Then again perhaps the Mac being compared to was a MacBook Pro (notebook) which are limited in RAM and processors.

OK - if the video looks 'pixilated' and blocky, you may be running old camera firmware. Initial versions of the camera software had a bug that meant 120fps video was incorrectly encoded. Check which version of the firmware you're running and update as necessary.

Secondly, you need to understand that the CGO3+ records variable bit rate files. So unlike some cameras, the bitrate goes up and down according to how much action the camera is encoding. Big visual changes from one frame to the next will result in higher bit rates, and low changes result in low bit rates. This changes constantly during your video.

The CGO3+ has a maximum bitrate of 60Mbs - that means it will increase the bitrate up to that amount but no higher when encoding video. In practise, the most I've seen is about 55Mbs, but it's rare to see it that high. This does not mean you're getting 'lower quality' video, just that it didn't need to use more data to encode the frames. You can have 10Mbs video and it can still be pixel perfect. It also means that you can't "set a bitrate" for the camera. You ask it to record and it does the maths in the background. The limit is good enough given the bit depth (dynamic and colour range) of the camera.

When it comes to cards, make sure you're not using clone cards (I know a few people who've been bitten by this), and copy your files to your PC (ideally onto an SSD) before editing - playing back from SD is fairly unreliable even on high end rigs. The CGO3+ video is tuned for efficient writing rather than playback, so if you're using a decent video editor, get it to transcode ('proxy files') before editing to get smooth playback.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacknoah