Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Am I missing something?

Fred, I believe the main issue here was the user, I was sorta in a confined space on two sides, and obs and real sense was on... And I may have done this on my own moronic methods...

Don't feel bad....it happens....to other people, not to me though. I've never crashed my HPro.

I wasn't in the park flying very aggressive yank & bank figure 8's.
I didn't come out of one bank sliding dangerously close to a tree.
I didn't lose orientation and yank the stick the wrong way.
I didn't fly the drone into the tree.
It didn't sound like a weed whacker battling a holly bush.
It didn't drop out of the tree amidst a shower of chopped leaves and sticks.
I didn't land it in 5 Rotor mode
There was not any damage, like a broken prop and my pride.

So, I understand, it happens to others, but not to me.

The Typhoon runs off of 5 of the 6 motors and the 6th is a backup from my understanding.

You know, I assumed that the H+ has this too....but maybe not?

On page 29 of the manual for the H Pro, 5 Rotor Mode is engaged when a fault is detected in a motor or prop. The system will maintain flight with the other 5 motors controlling the flight, but it reduces performance significantly and beeps at you to land ASAP. It's an emergency mode that gets the bird home if it can.

Even though it is called five (5) rotor mode, in the event that a motor is lost, the opposite motor is shut down as well, and the Typhoon H effectively becomes a quad. This is due to the fact that when any given motor is lost, it's opposite must also be cancelled for balance reasons. In cases where this has been filmed, as well as when users have reported; there was one motor where the prop was turning one direction slowly then it would reverse. Essentially the 5th motor becomes something of an 'outrigger' depending on which motor was originally lost because if you look at a Typhoon H from the top and imagine two opposite motors out you will see the four (4) remaining motors are in a narrow configuration thus befitting from the balance of the fifth motor but it does not support any weight of the aircraft.

Reactions: DoomMeister
...Even though it is called five (5) rotor mode, in the event that a motor is lost, the opposite motor is shut down as well, and the Typhoon H effectively becomes a quad...

Really? That's not what the manual says:

5 Rotor Mode:
If the Typhoon H should lose a motor or a propeller get damaged the aircraft will switch to this mode to maintain flight (the other 5 motors will compensate for the loss with the opposite motor doing the most work) so you will be able to bring the aircraft back to you and land immediately.
DO NOT fly or continue a flight in this mode or condition.

I don't really know....after all.....it didn't happen to me.....and even though this is discussed in an H+ forum, I'm talking about the H Pro.

(P. 29 of the Enhanced Manual)

EDIT - BTW, if anyone can say the Manual is wrong, it's Ty so listen to him and not me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ty Pilot
Sorry, not disagreeing with the terminology - it is called 5 rotor mode, no doubt, you are correct @Fred Garvin . I was just speaking to the 'mechanics' of how flight of a hex is sustained with an engine out. Guess that was the geeky side of me just oozing out.?

Any videos I’ve seen of the 5 rotor mode appeared more as Ty described it. The motor would change direction to keep the craft stable. The work it was doing was a balancing act.

Doing a thought experiment: it stands to reason that the other four props would carry the extra load of maintaining lift. If the motor opposite the defunct one was doing more work it would cause the aircraft to roll and tumble.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Don't feel bad....it happens....to other people, not to me though. I've never crashed my HPro.

I wasn't in the park flying very aggressive yank & bank figure 8's.
I didn't come out of one bank sliding dangerously close to a tree.
I didn't lose orientation and yank the stick the wrong way.
I didn't fly the drone into the tree.
It didn't sound like a weed whacker battling a holly bush.
It didn't drop out of the tree amidst a shower of chopped leaves and sticks.
I didn't land it in 5 Rotor mode
There was not any damage, like a broken prop and my pride.

So, I understand, it happens to others, but not to me.
My pro made the coolest crash sound when it tried to go through my aluminum extension ladder,all by itself. . Keith

• Haha
Reactions: Mechanic

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parisaline