Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Another newb w a flyaway and crash.

Zip the entire FlightLog folder. Yuneec will want the entire folder contents.

So here is the entire FlightLog.
Thanks everybody for being so helpful.

Attachments

• FlightLogZip.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 8
So here is the entire FlightLog.
Thanks everybody for being so helpful.
I’ll take a look in the AM, can’t wake the wife by getting on the computer.

Not a problem at all, thank you for the consideration.

Is there a program or site like UAV toolbox for the q500?

I use a program by one of our members h-elsner, who provides it for free and is constantly working to make it better. It will read telemetry from all of Yuneec’s aircraft now. The program is for 64 bit Windows and Linux and can be downloaded at Meine private Homepage - Programmierung, Kopter, Bilder in the downloads area. The program is Q500log2kml and is a stand alone program written in Lazarus. Just unzip to a convenient folder and run the .exe file. There is a pdf file to document how to use the program.

After 2 weeks, 10 flights and a bunch of great video...she split.

Set out to view a draw bridge from afar, bout 200 yards away I launched from a boat ramp(no boats present, week night). Turned everything on, set my white balance for a bit, popped it up 10 feet in the air to check everything out, was satisfied so I set off and out...didnt take very long to see Id lost control and it kept going, up and over the bridge(with traffic). I flipped the switch to RTH(I may have panicked and switched to smart?), this did nothing for controls and actually sent the q500 now with the flow of traffic and at a much higher rate of speed than Ive seen from this, Id say bout 35mph and coming down like a comet w some heat. Less than 5 minutes of flight, lost video before it flew ovee the bridge.
I spent the next hour and a half searching where Id anticipated it came down, I listened for sirens, I looked for a smashed car, house with a big hole punched into it, and I searched the nature trail full of mangroves for it, all with the powered controller in hand, nothing. At this point I see the toggle in smart mode, at best I bumped it during the search.
I gave up the search and went hime to pull telemetry, the next day I found it in 2 pieces, the camera separate w wires akimbo, in the exact spot googlemaps said it was. Flight video file was corrupt and havent been able to view it.

I contacted Yuneec and Im sending telemetry as soon as I figure how to zip it.
Ive been reading "flyaway" threads since the incident on thursday, but Im still not certain about how to analyze the data myself? I suppose the UAV toolkit wont work the Q? But theres one for the Q, kinda?
I guess Id appreciate some counsel before submitting to Yuneec, please!

Also I ordered spare batteries weeks ago, they wont arrive til the 21st and my battery is triggered, bloated and wont charge(green flashing indicator) for me to even plug it in to gui for diagnostics...so I have no idea where I stand.

BUT I already wanna buy a replacement, and itll come w a battery lol
have you tried an mp4 recovery tool on the video...

Is there a sd card under the battery on the ST10? That is where the flighlogs and any mini-videos will be stored.
You should also check the ST10 sticks in Hardware Monitor to make certain they are responsive and return to exactly zero.

I understood from your description the battery is swollen. If that's true then it's not safe to keep it inside unless it's in a fireproof container. If air reaches the inside of the battery it will burst into a ferocious fire.

If you create the zip file you can upload it here and we can look for any clues that might help.

exactly... I keep mine in a metal ammo can I picked up locally... drilled a couple small holes for vents...

This is such a cliffhanger for me, I keep checking this thread, I anxiously await an unbiased assessment of this flight.
I sent the files to Yuneec last night as well.
Thank you everybody for all the support, ideas and links youve all shared!

I have to ask if you have done the compass calibration. The first 12 telemetry files are non-flight recordings. File 13 through 26 were a mixture of flight and stationary files. Starting with 00013 there would be momentary compass calibration warnings in the telemetry, but as time progressed there would be more and more in the logs. The last flight in file 00026 had the compass calibration warning from power on of the Q500 to the end.

Power on at 19:11:22
Motors armed at 19:15:43
Liftoff at 19:16:01
Vertical climb to 31 meters altitude at 19:16:18
tas (true airspeed ) at this time is 8.25 m/s (18.4 Miles/h)
Mode changed from Angle to Smart/Follow Me at 19:16:22
Aircraft continues in an arc to the left at 18 to 20 miles per hour until end of file at 19:17:09

This is showing a classic toilet bowl effect in my opinion, where compass errors combined with GPS cause confusion to the Flight Controller in the aircraft. The luckiest part is the it did lose altitude and came down in an area that did not cause damage to person or property.

final flight.jpg

Flight path in Google Earth

f_mode-voltage-altitude.png

Chart of flight mode, voltage, and altitude over time
flight mode 16 - on the ground motors not armed
flight mode 3 - Angle mode
flight mode 21 - Smart/Follow Me

AC pitch-roll-yaw.png

Aircraft pitch roll and yaw vs time

RC pitch-roll-yaw.png

ST-10+ pitch, roll, and yaw, commands vs time

tas-motor_status-error_flags.png
tas, motor_status, error_flags vs time

true airspeed in meters/sec
motor status 15 is all good
error flags - 32 is compass calibration warning

Reactions: 5prock3t
I have to ask if you have done the compass calibration. The first 12 telemetry files are non-flight recordings. File 13 through 26 were a mixture of flight and stationary files. Starting with 00013 there would be momentary compass calibration warnings in the telemetry, but as time progressed there would be more and more in the logs. The last flight in file 00026 had the compass calibration warning from power on of the Q500 to the end.

Power on at 19:11:22
Motors armed at 19:15:43
Liftoff at 19:16:01
Vertical climb to 31 meters altitude at 19:16:18
tas (true airspeed ) at this time is 8.25 m/s (18.4 Miles/h)
Mode changed from Angle to Smart/Follow Me at 19:16:22
Aircraft continues in an arc to the left at 18 to 20 miles per hour until end of file at 19:17:09

This is showing a classic toilet bowl effect in my opinion, where compass errors combined with GPS cause confusion to the Flight Controller in the aircraft. The luckiest part is the it did lose altitude and came down in an area that did not cause damage to person or property.

View attachment 15622

Flight path in Google Earth

View attachment 15623

Chart of flight mode, voltage, and altitude over time
flight mode 16 - on the ground motors not armed
flight mode 3 - Angle mode
flight mode 21 - Smart/Follow Me

View attachment 15624

Aircraft pitch roll and yaw vs time

View attachment 15625

ST-10+ pitch, roll, and yaw, commands vs time

View attachment 15626
tas, motor_status, error_flags vs time

true airspeed in meters/sec
motor status 15 is all good
error flags - 32 is compass calibration warning

Id done the compass calibration earlier in the week, along w the other settings in gui.
I recall a solid purple upon take off.
But will also say the flashing indictor could be more clear in the provided manual. Ive seen plenty of color combinations that arent on the sheet.

So after 2 weeks of ownership, I gather Yuneec is gonna put this on me for "compass calibration"?
Guess its a good thing I purchased that compass so to be exact.

Also, thanks again...thats amazing! I appreciate the help.

Now is a bad time to ask, but when you did the compas calibration did you face Magnetic North with the nose of the aircraft facing away from you at the start of the calibration?

Id done the compass calibration earlier in the week, along w the other settings in gui.
So after 2 weeks of ownership, I gather Yuneec is gonna put this on me for "compass calibration"?
No, they will not. There are hundreds of thousands of Q500's that have never had a compass calibration and they fly just fine.
This is showing a classic toilet bowl effect in my opinion, where compass errors combined with GPS cause confusion to the Flight Controller in the aircraft.
I have never seen the TB effect on any Q500. That anomaly seems restricted to the H. The flight controllers are very different.

I suspect that Yuneec will identify the problem and will cover your aircraft. I see no reason to believe there was any pilot error.

Reactions: 5prock3t
You guys are great!
Not only VERY knowledgeable but very reassuring as well.

To be honest, as a calibrations tech, Id have a hard time living w myself if I crashed muh drone due to compass calibration lol

Just loaded the corrupt video sdcard into a new cgo and recovered the video.
However the video isnt the entire flight for some reason.
Video lasts 35 seconds...but everything apparently happened much quicker than I recall. And me testing out the controls at 10 feet us not evident at all.
Just crazy.
Now why would have video ended so quickly??

Connected to gui and everything checks out, havent tried the camera, need to secure the loose wires and try the pigtail.
Is there anything else I should be checking or doing?

…. need to secure the loose wires and try the pigtail. Is there anything else I should be checking or doing?

Just a reminder. The loose wires are still "energized" when the drone is turned on, and can zap things on the gimbal board if you stuff them inside. They can also short to each other, damaging things inside the drone shell. They are energized regardless of which end is loose. If loose at the board end, they are energized by the hotshoe. If loose at the hotshoe, they are energized by the pigtail. Be sure they are insulated as well as secured. The best solution is to completely remove the wires.

Last edited:
Just to update this thread, I recieved a reply from Yuneec about my flightlog.
They say its my fault...and.Im.good.w.that.
Admittedly I DID have an issue determining what flashing lights meant...but Im seem to recall what green meant, but whatever.

The ebay vendors I had purchased my 2 referbs from, BOTH accepted them back as returns and issued full refunds.
I now have a Mavic Air, but miss the Q500 4k camera...and I always have a good understanding, now, of what my drone requires before take off by scrolling through all the menus...so there is that.

Lastly, I had recieved 2 new Gifi batteries just as Id crashed my 2nd Q500....they took sometime to get here.
2 NEW in box never been charged batteries, here in the US if anyone is interested??? I paid $110 for them and waited 6 weeks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-06-04-19-26-18.png
    Screenshot_2019-06-04-19-26-18.png
    280.8 KB · Views: 15
If you have no place to put it use a metal coffee can, a soup pot or the bathtub if it's porcelain. Certainly not if it's plastic. Use another pan to cover it up. My preferred method of disposal is to submerge the battery in a bucket of salt water and leave it overnight (again, outside).

I think you can view the video with MPC-HC or VLC player. They are .avc files.

Yes, you could just connect the ST10 to your pc using the USB charging cables and then access the sd card files.
At this point a house fire would suck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430