Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Autopilot

Reaction score
I have seen the Firmware update version for the Autopilot. I have seen where the Autopilot is talked about. What I still would like to know is, specifically, what is the Autopilot on the H and how and when is it used? What is its purpose?

Autopilot is a synonym for the flight controller and it's associated code. It is in use at all times the motors are armed, and incorporates the code necessary for stabilized flight, all the flight modes, and generation of telemetry. It also incorporates the software used for No Fly Zones.

Reactions: rdonson
Interesting. I notice that there is a Firmware version for the ST16 and a Firmware version for the Autopilot under the Aircraft heading? Also, under ST16 there is a reference to APK Version. Could you tell me what that is?

Hi Steve: Thanks. When you are flying one of the 4 tasks like CCC, orbit, etc I can see where the Autopilot reference comes in as the Controller is flying the bird according to your settings. Other than that you are manually controlling it other than RTH. What is still a little confusing is that the Firmware reference for Autopilot appears under the AIRCRAFT heading, not ST16 HEADING.
Is there Firmware within the Aircraft?

Right. The Flight Controller is in the aircraft. I believe the autonomous modes actually reside in the ST16 and the instructions for flight are sent to the Flight Controller.

Bear in mind the self stabilizing features of the aircraft are a function of the autopilot. Where consumer camera drones are concerned we are never flying in a full manual mode. To do so would require continuous direct human control inputs to keep the aircraft level, a task most would not be successful in. Multirotors are not inherently stable.

The autopilot runs in the H, and manages all of the flight modes. When you are flying manually, the autopilot firmware is still running the show and can switch to Return To Home, CCC, Emergency landing and other modes as necessary. Cable Cam routes are controlled on-board the drone, *not* by the ST-16. The controller just sends a list of waypoints and says "off you go!", and the autopilot on the drone follows the instructions.

The APK file is the Android app that runs on the ST-16 to give you flight control (it's officially called 'Flight Mode') and is the set of screens you see when you boot up normally. When you go to Pad mode, you're just quitting the App. APKs are the official install file format for Android apps.

The autopilot runs in the H, and manages all of the flight modes. When you are flying manually, the autopilot firmware is still running the show and can switch to Return To Home, CCC, Emergency landing and other modes as necessary. Cable Cam routes are controlled on-board the drone, *not* by the ST-16. The controller just sends a list of waypoints and says "off you go!", and the autopilot on the drone follows the instructions.

The APK file is the Android app that runs on the ST-16 to give you flight control (it's officially called 'Flight Mode') and is the set of screens you see when you boot up normally. When you go to Pad mode, you're just quitting the App. APKs are the official install file format for Android apps.
This is finally starting to make sense to me. Thanks to all who have contributed. It's always been confusing!

The flight controllers/auto pilots in our drones are a combination of very miniaturized, highly sophisticated and specialized components that are bound together by a few wires along with soft and firmware to enable the easy operation of multirotors. Although not 100% dependable 100% of the time they are amazing in what they can do at such a low price. Even the simple versions employed by small toy type multirotors are incredible in their function, if not more so, due to the small size.

There are times it’s worth reflecting on the fact that a new, 3 axis auto pilot fitted to a light general aviation aircraft that’s just slightly more accurate than ours can cost more than a brand new F-150 pick up, and as much a mid west 2 bedroom home when associated with a good GPS navigation system.

Last edited:

I´m confused. When I started the H without gimbal and camera there are no data for Autopilot, gimbal, camera and realsense (About Controller). I have to camera´s. When I attached one of them I got all data, when I attached the other, I get data for gimbal and camerra but nothing for autopilot and realsense. What problem does the second camera have?

Every time you change cameras you must bind the camera to the rest of the system, even if it had been bound during a previous mounting. System data will not be accurately reported until the bind process has been performed. It’s a very good idea to bind all the components in the system, not just the camera.

Every time you change cameras you must bind the camera to the rest of the system, even if it had been bound during a previous mounting. System data will not be accurately reported until the bind process has been performed. It’s a very good idea to bind all the components in the system, not just the camera.

Hi Pat,

Thanks for reply. I´ve done what you said but without results. The differences between the camera, as described, still remains. I don´t understand why?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval