Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Bad battery rescue?

14.3v i will keep testing
The low temperature would, of course, had an impact on your flight time but having said that 15 minutes in the air without the weight of the camera landing at 14.3v isn't too good on the face of it. Forgetting the -8c temp for the moment, I would have expected to see 20 minutes in the air without a camera. One can only assume, then, that the low temperature was significant in your flight time experience. Overall, then, factoring in the low temperature, 15 minutes in the air and on the ground at 14.3v without the camera weight would seem within reasonable performance from a battery operating normally. Best thing to do is have further test flights without the camera in warmer temperatures. If you can get 15 minutes in the air without a camera landing at 14.5v in temp 15c then your battery is good.

The best flight time I've ever had was 18 minutes in the air landing at 14.3v with camera mounted in temp around 20c

All the above is subjective. Much depends on your flying skills, whether you are aggressive, wind strength, altitude above sea level, etc. For some people, just 10 minutes in the air could also be reasonable to expect from a normal battery.

Footnote. Landing at 14.3v should be avoided. A bit low voltage for my liking...not good for a battery's longevity.

Well finally got a halfway decent day to test my battery. Took my TH out ,hovered at about 10'. It was a bit windy. But I was a little sheltered by the garage. Had the camera on, lights on, etc.. All in all I got 17 min. before I chickened out and landed it. The battery indicator said it was at 14.5v when I landed but had not triggered the low battery warning. I am going to test it a few times before I trust it to fly, but Im pretty happy with this test so far.

Well finally got a halfway decent day to test my battery. Took my TH out ,hovered at about 10'. It was a bit windy. But I was a little sheltered by the garage. Had the camera on, lights on, etc.. All in all I got 17 min. before I chickened out and landed it. The battery indicator said it was at 14.5v when I landed but had not triggered the low battery warning. I am going to test it a few times before I trust it to fly, but Im pretty happy with this test so far.
Based on that I'd say your battery is good. You are one lucky son of a gun.

Reactions: Phaedrus
This one battery seems to defy the physics associated with lithium polymer cells. After 15 years of using lipo’s it’s the only one I’ve ever heard of that functions perfectly after becoming depleted below 2.5V/cell. On that basis alone it would have hit the salt water if it was mine.

Reactions: Phaedrus
This one battery seems to defy the physics associated with lithium polymer cells. After 15 years of using lipo’s it’s the only one I’ve ever heard of that functions perfectly after becoming depleted below 2.5V/cell. On that basis alone it would have hit the salt water if it was mine.

Yep. Makes me wonder if the reported cell voltage was accurate. There is no other way to explain this.

Well, like PatR said, your pack defies everything most of us know about how they perform and the chemistry of the packs.
Well I'm still treating it with caution. Like I said I am going to test it a few times before I trust it enough to fly it for real in my TH.

I think I was lucky in the fact it was a new battery. I have a feeling that it sat for a long time and lost charge over time. If this was a used battery, I dont think it could have been recovered. Considering that all the cells were at about the same voltage when I checked them initially makes me think that. Again I am going to test it more before I fully trust this battery and will be purchasing a couple more batteries to add to my flying time. I really do appreciate everyones help and comments, thankyou. Now if only the weather would cooperate and I can get out to fly!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop