Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery charger modification

OK. That might be the key. I will rush through the "honey dew" list that is in my way, and try to figure out what the differences are that might be causing an issue. Also want to see the relation of the smaller black wire on the right hand side of the picture. I hope someone that has done the mods can chime in and make a statement about the mismatch between video and actual model.

OK. That might be the key. I will rush through the "honey dew" list that is in my way, and try to figure out what the differences are that might be causing an issue. Also want to see the relation of the smaller black wire on the right hand side of the picture. I hope someone that has done the mods can chime in and make a statement about the mismatch between video and actual model.
Cheers mate really appreciate your help, as for the balance wiring you are referring too on mine the black wire is actually the ground wire.

OK
Cheers mate really appreciate your help, as for the balance wiring you are referring too on mine the black wire is actually the ground wire.
That may explain what I was about to ask, but please do this check anyway.
Do NOT plug in the original charger, or the new charger.
Plug in the BATTERY ONLY.
Ensure the pins on the balance lead are UP,
Use your multimeter to check for polarity and voltage across the pins on the balance lead in accordance with this picture. (Ensure the multimeter does not display the (-) in front of the the voltage reading.

Leads2.jpg
Note: Drawing updated 06/22/20 to clarify difference between "Cell" numbers, "PIN" numbers, and denote cell relative polarity.

Last edited:
OK

That may explain what I was about to ask, but please do this check anyway.
Do NOT plug in the original charger, or the new charger.
Plug in the BATTERY ONLY.
Ensure the pins on the balance lead are UP,
Use your multimeter to check for polarity and voltage across the pins on the balance lead in accordance with this picture. (Ensure the multimeter does not display the (-) in front of the the voltage reading.

View attachment 22374
Positive and negative are correct here is what is showing with just the battery connected to the charger as you suggested pin1 3.93, pin2 7.86, pin3 11.79, pin4 15.72.

Battery voltage and connections look good. Yet you are getting cell low voltage errors during the setup. Hmm. Possibly a weak connection somewhere? Check the balance lead connection on the new charger to ensure the connector is fully inserted and making good connection on all pins.
If the new charger came with more than one balance board and leads, try the other set.

Reactions: Mike Irish
Battery voltage and connections look good. Yet you are getting cell low voltage errors during the setup. Hmm. Possibly a weak connection somewhere? Check the balance lead connection on the new charger to ensure the connector is fully inserted and making good connection on all pins.
If the new charger came with more than one balance board and leads, try the other set.
Yes indeed this has got me stumped aswell. I've tried 3 balance boards and still getting the same problem all connections have been double checked. I have tried a second balance lead and got the exact same result that's why iam thinking could it be the battery.

Yeah, I think we have checked as much as available. It would be good to get IR readings across the cells, but the advertisement for the charger did not mention IR capabilities. And unless your multimeter is capable of readings in the mOhm range, it won't help.
Just pure speculation, given the age of the battery, relatively low usage, and possibly not in storage charge between uses, the battery is certainly suspect. Especially given the recent demise of it's siblings.
And of course, there is always the possibility the new charger could be defective. It happens.
But all of this, you already know.
I hope someone else can see something I missed, but I think I'm out of ideas.

Yeah, I think we have checked as much as available. It would be good to get IR readings across the cells, but the advertisement for the charger did not mention IR capabilities. And unless your multimeter is capable of readings in the mOhm range, it won't help.
Just pure speculation, given the age of the battery, relatively low usage, and possibly not in storage charge between uses, the battery is certainly suspect. Especially given the recent demise of it's siblings.
And of course, there is always the possibility the new charger could be defective. It happens.
But all of this, you already know.
I hope someone else can see something I missed, but I think I'm out of ideas.
Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it tbh the previous owner knew nothing about storing Lipo batteries although the battery charges up fine on the yuneec charger my flight times are around 12mins so I think new batteries are on the cards to be honest.

my flight times are around 12mins so I think new batteries are on the cards to be honest.
Yes, new batteries are in order, but if you are getting 12 minutes flight time, it should easily be in good enough condition not to be giving problems with the charger. The 12 minutes strongly indicates something other than the battery is the issue.
You need new batteries anyway. It will be interesting to see if the new batteries misbehave on the modified charger.

Does the charger still function as a standard charger?

Yes, new batteries are in order, but if you are getting 12 minutes flight time, it should easily be in good enough condition not to be giving problems with the charger. The 12 minutes strongly indicates something other than the battery is the issue.
You need new batteries anyway. It will be interesting to see if the new batteries misbehave on the modified charger.

Yes it still functions as a standard charger so okay that way.

Yes it still functions as a standard charger so okay that way.
It's difficult to get the batteries to Ireland I can get them on amazon but that's coming through China which aren't open apparently due to covid, only other place has them in stock is carolinadronz.com but there shipping is expensive and they only have the gifi batteries.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I see in the photos, if the black balance wire is the negative one, you are wired backward. The photo @WTFDproject posted above is correct. The vertical Deans terminal is positive and the one next to it is the most positive balance terminal. The negative main terminal and the most negative balance terminal are one and the same.

From what I see in the photos, if the black balance wire is the negative one, you are wired backward. The photo @WTFDproject posted above is correct. The vertical Deans terminal is positive and the one next to it is the most positive balance terminal. The negative main terminal and the most negative balance terminal are one and the same.
Thank you for your reply mate the black wire on my balance lead is actually the ground wire.

Yes China is open for business I have been buying from AliExpress since march and all deliverys are ok it's royal mail that can be a day or 2 slower
It's difficult to get the batteries to Ireland I can get them on amazon but that's coming through China which aren't open apparently due to covid, only other place has them in stock is carolinadronz.com but there shipping is expensive and they only have the gifi batteries.

Thank you for your reply mate the black wire on my balance lead is actually the ground wire.
@ Wingman,
It's interesting that you answered this way twice. When first questioned about it and you said the "black wire was actually ground", I assumed you checked, had the colors only reversed, and it was electrically OK. Especially when the voltage check seemed to come out right.

But with that said, If the black wire is actually ground, the balance lead is wired backwards.

• Wow
Reactions: Mike Irish
@ Wingman,
It's interesting that you answered this way twice. When first questioned about it and you said the "black wire was actually ground", I assumed you checked, had the colors only reversed, and it was electrically OK. Especially when the voltage check seemed to come out right.

But with that said, If the black wire is actually ground, the balance lead is wired backwards.
Ahhh I understand now what you mean my mistake.

What value would I need to set my multimeter at to check the ohms on each cell.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval