Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery maintinance..

Reaction score
Is the "mainstream" opinion still that one should charge/discharge the batteries to 15,3V approx. once a month when not used for a loooonger period?

There’s no need to “cycle” a lipo, they don’t develop memories. There is s requirement to monitor them for correct storage voltage as they self discharge over time.

Depending on the charger used it may be necessary to charge a battery having lower than storage voltage in order to permit charger storage mode programming to function. Some will not automatically increase voltage to achieve storage level as their programming is designed around only discharging a battery. As there are a multitude of chargers on the market using different programming people should experiment with the storage cycle to determine how their charger works. I’d suggest reading the documentation that came with the charger to assist but bear in mind the cheaper the charger the worse the documenting that was provided will be...

Reactions: Breeze1
There’s no need to “cycle” a lipo, they don’t develop memories. There is s requirement to monitor them for correct storage voltage as they self discharge over time.

Depending on the charger used it may be necessary to charge a battery having lower than storage voltage in order to permit charger storage mode programming to function. Some will not automatically increase voltage to achieve storage level as their programming is designed around only discharging a battery. As there are a multitude of chargers on the market using different programming people should experiment with the storage cycle to determine how their charger works. I’d suggest reading the documentation that came with the charger to assist but bear in mind the cheaper the charger the worse the documenting that was provided will be...
Thanx Pat, I have six batteries and they all show 15.3V after 6weeks! I use a DY3 charger. You say there’s no need for a chrg/disghrg cycle until voltage drop?

That is correct. In fact it can be harmful as lithium batteries have a finite number of charge/discharge cycles that can be performed before reaching end of life. Cycling a lithium battery uses up cycles. Previous battery chemistries, predominantly NiCD, would/could develop a memory is repeatedly discharged to a specific level or left stored at a level less than min or max. When that happened placing the battery on a charger would fully charge the battery as the charge would stop once the memory level was achieved. The battery would never reach full capacity once a memory was established. Removing the memory required a cycle of discharging to minimum and charging to maximum to break it. To a much lessor extent it could occur with NiMH chemistry batteries. With both chemistries the rate of self discharge is more rapid than with lithium.

Such is not the case with the lithium chemistry batteries we use.

In addition, the rate of self discharge with a lithium ion battery is much slower than a lithium polymer battery. As a reminder, store a lithium ion fully charged, but store a lithium polymer at a reduced storage voltage level.

Reactions: Phaedrus
Not to quibble, but one of the largest/longest suppliers of lithium ion packs in the RC world (FROMECO) has this to say about the storage of thier Li-Ion cells

• Discharge packs to "7.7-7.4 volts" or to about a 1/2 to 1/3 charge.
  • Monitor batteries regularly, ensure battery voltages remain above "7.0 volts".
  • Please do not store batteries fully charged, sells may degrade under a full charge if stored for long periods of time.

Reactions: Photo
Not to quibble, but one of the largest/longest suppliers of lithium ion packs in the RC world (FROMECO) has this to say about the storage of thier Li-Ion cells

Although Fromeco was one of the first, and best, RC related companies to introduce lithium ion batteries into the hobby (I know this because I used them for flight and ignition energy sources when they first started selling them) their storage instructions for li-Ion’s were written during the period when the chemistry type was just entering the market.

Reactions: Phaedrus
I’ll look at that and review in more depth. I’m aware that U.N. shipping standards require they be in a semi discharged state for transport but not aware of life cycle reduction for storing them fully charged. That would pretty much fly in the face of a lot of camera manufacturers.

No idea on what the camera folks are saying. But everything I've ever seen recommends partially discharged storage. I'll take a look at some camera sources. Make sure I am not lost in the woods.

No idea on what the camera folks are saying. But everything I've ever seen recommends partially discharged storage. I'll take a look at some camera sources. Make sure I am not lost in the woods.
Battery storage
  • After removing the battery from the camera for storage or transportation, be sure to attach the terminal cover included. Do not short the positive and negative battery terminals with a metal object such as a necklace or keys. Failure to follow these instructions could cause the battery to leak corrosive liquids, overheat, explode, or cause other damage to the battery.
  • The battery should be stored in a cool location. Do not store the battery in hot or extremely cold locations.
  • While the battery is in storage, charge it at least once every six months and then use the camera to run it flat again before storing it in a cool location.
  • In cold conditions, the battery may require frequent recharging. It is recommended that you keep a fully-charged spare battery in a warm place and exchange as necessary when taking pictures in cold weather.
From the Nikon website, apples to my D3,4 and 5 cameras.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval