Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery Operation

Reaction score
Hi to all,
Sorry in advance for the long post.
First some information.
I have just received my TY-H pro package (factory refurbished)
Whatever that means, I'm not sure, but it LOOKS brand new, and I am assuming that it was supplied to the retailer here in Oz from Yuneec in the USA. It would have taken a couple of weeks to transit US to Oz, sat for an undetermined period of time in the retailer, a week to be delivered to me....
So, I have no idea as to battery state on leaving the US nor when the batteries were charged.
I have a brand new Skyrc D100 V2 dual charger and 2 adaptor cables with balance cables to attach the battery to the charger.
All batteries are Yuneec 5400(!)
On attaching battery #1 I got the following readings, all cells 4.17v, total 16.67; IR c1-13, c2-9, c3-8, c4-9,total 38.
Battery #2 gave the following, c1-3 4.17, c4 4.16, total 16.66; IR c1-4, c2-2, c3-3, c4-3, total 12.
I'm guessing here that battery #1 has seen some use and battery #2 is new...just a guess!!!
I have 2 New batteries en route as we speak and I assume I will get similar readings to Batt #2.
To clarify, Is 5amps a safe setting on the D100 for charging the batteries??
What is the safe ampere setting when programming for storage??
This next question is a trick one for me...
If a LiPo battery self discharges, why lower the voltage to a "storage" level
If it self discharges from storage setting it won't take very long to self discharge to an undesirable, possibly unrecoverable level. yes/no?????
I'm confused on this point!!!
Having read the article about LiPo's in another thread I'm assuming that Batt#1 is starting to degrade.
Is there any way to reverse the build up of LiO2 in the battery??
All and any answers by any in the know would be very much appreciated, especially those using Yuneec batteries and a D100 charger
OH, also one more question (only one? they all say)
If I program the settings for batt #1 into the D100 memory can I use that for all the Yuneec batteries or do I need to set a separate memory for each battery??
Thanks for all your advice
Cheers all
Pete

Your batteries were shipped in a fully charged state and are self discharging. Cells do not self discharge equally. Cell #1, battery #1 has a high IR count, consistent with an aging cell. There is nothing to suggest either battery has been used. Spend some time reading the battery info at A Guide to Understanding LiPo Batteries — Roger's Hobby Center , klpanagi/Pandora_Wiki , and Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University Doing that will save a lot of people from telling you the same things previously posted a thousand times.

Your batteries were shipped in a fully charged state and are self discharging. Cells do not self discharge equally. Cell #1, battery #1 has a high IR count, consistent with an aging cell. There is nothing to suggest either battery has been used. Spend some time reading the battery info at A Guide to Understanding LiPo Batteries — Roger's Hobby Center , klpanagi/Pandora_Wiki , and Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University Doing that will save a lot of people from telling you the same things previously posted a thousand times.

My apologies Pat.
I did read Roger's article before posting, but have not heard of the other.
Thank you for the info. I will check it out.
Roger's article did not seem to answer the questions I asked, that is why I asked them.
I have read many of the thousand posts re battery, but none seemed relevant to tyhe information I was seeking.
Thanks for the info anyway
Cheers
Pete

There’s no way to reverse the aging process. I only wish there were[emoji6]. Once you set up for one battery type profile that profile is good for any other battery of the same voltage and capacity.

You can safely charge a Yuneec 5400mA battery at a 5.4A rate. Those of us that believe those batteries to actually be 6300mA batteries charge them at a 6A rate.

A 1C storage discharge rate works pretty well for any battery. As we don’t know what the actual C rating is for Yuneec batteries the safe route is to use a consistently safe discharge rate.

Might you do me a favor? Lift the battery latch tab to view the battery serial number and let me know what year of manufacture is noted in the serial number. I’m collecting reference data.

There’s no way to reverse the aging process. I only wish there were[emoji6]. Once you set up for one battery type profile that profile is good for any other battery of the same voltage and capacity.

You can safely charge a Yuneec 5400mA battery at a 5.4A rate. Those of us that believe those batteries to actually be 6300mA batteries charge them at a 6A rate.

A 1C storage discharge rate works pretty well for any battery. As we don’t know what the actual C rating is for Yuneec batteries the safe route is to use a consistently safe discharge rate.

Might you do me a favor? Lift the battery latch tab to view the battery serial number and let me know what year of manufacture is noted in the serial number. I’m collecting reference data.

Thanks for that Pat

Info as follows
Batt #1..B010420163906583
Batt #2..B090320163502766
Will send info on other 2 when they arrive, prob early next week

Everything official I've seen previously said 1C, however the official card that came with the bird says 8C.
What that means exactly I don't know
Cheers
Pete

Hi again Pat,
Just finished resetting Batt #1 to storage setting
All cells balanced at 3.81v, total 15.23v IR is 8,5,6,5, total 24.
So putting it to storage seems to have improved the IR somewhat or is that related to the voltage/
I'll do the same with all of the batteries and see what the results are
Cheers
Pete

It means the maximum discharge rate is 8C, that it can instantly discharge 8X it’s normal amp rating in a single burst. That cannot be sustained. Not something you ever want to do unless you’re spot welding. Short the terminals and that’s how much energy will be instantly discharged. Very spectacular but extremely dangerous, along with being destructive for the battery, and at times everything near the battery.

Both your batteries are what I call new, “old” stock. They’ve been sitting on a shelf since 2016 awaiting a new home.

A word of advice; don’t buy any more Yuneec H batteries. Obtain them from Genstattu (UltraX) or another manufacturer that is making new batteries.

Last edited:
It means the maximum discharge rate is 8C, that it can instantly discharge 8X it’s normal amp rating in a single burst. That cannot be sustained. Not something you ever want to do unless you’re spot welding. Short the terminals and that’s how much energy will be instantly discharged. Very spectacular but extremely dangerous, along with being destructive for the battery, and at times everything near the battery.

Both your batteries are what I call new, “old” stock. They’ve been sitting on a shelf since 2016 awaiting a new home.

A word of advice; don’t buy any more Yuneec H batteries. Obtain them from Genstattu (UltraX) or another manufacturer that is making new batteries.

Thanks for the advice
Unfortunately no-one here seems to import alternative batteries.
Importing(if even possible) in a private situation is prohibitively expensive and time consuming.
Add 25% for currency conversion, add shipping (very expensive from your country) and add 10% duty on top of all that makes most things from the US ridiculously expensive these days.
Not to mention that they would probably have to be shipped via sea (probably a month or more)
The 2 that I got were $130 aud each and mostly they are up around the $200 aud ($140US) mark.
Considering that you guys can get aftermarket batteries for around $60 with free shipping you can see our problem.
Cheers

Ouch is right!
I just logged into ebay.com.au, and saw that after-market batteries are in fact available, but they run from $135-$185 AU each.

I would guess those higher prices are induced by governmental fee and tax structures, not because of the sellers. As most all lipo batteries are made in China and manufacturing costs are the same for all destinations it can’t be on the makers. Nor can it be due to shipping costs as China is much closer to Australia than the U.S. or U.K., therefore incurring lower shipping expenses. It’s the same problem other countries have, take government’s hands out of our pockets and our day to day costs reduce significantly.

About IR measurements and new batteries. A well made, new, lipo should have individual cell IR’s of under 4 milli-ohm/cell before you charge it. Typically they are less than 3. Charge a new battery to full state and let it cool for 30 minutes, then use it at full load for about a minute or two and check IR. The IR in use is what we are really concerned with as it is representative of the working cell state.

Anyone shipping a fully charged lipo is telling us they don’t give a twit for safety, nor do they care or know how full charge state storage impacts battery life. There is an international U.N. Safety standard for transport of lithium batteries that is being ignored by some manufacturers. Disdain for those standards is the reason shipping of lithium batteries has become expensive and heavily restricted. The I.A.T.A., International Air Transport Association, provides carrier pilots the option of refusing to transport lithium batteries if they determine flight safety might be compromised. There have been crashes and deaths caused by improperly packaged/handled lithium batteries.

Thanks for the advice
Unfortunately no-one here seems to import alternative batteries.
Importing(if even possible) in a private situation is prohibitively expensive and time consuming.
Add 25% for currency conversion, add shipping (very expensive from your country) and add 10% duty on top of all that makes most things from the US ridiculously expensive these days.
Not to mention that they would probably have to be shipped via sea (probably a month or more)
The 2 that I got were $130 aud each and mostly they are up around the $200 aud ($140US) mark.
Considering that you guys can get aftermarket batteries for around $60 with free shipping you can see our problem.
Cheers

Have a word with Haydn at mountain view enterprises he’s the main Aussie Yuneec importer. Great guy and very knowledgeable

Reactions: Dr Delta and PatR
Hi Pete.
You can call me 0410584575 and I would be happy to help.
Thanks Haydn

Reactions: Peggy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval