Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Best Battery Practice

Reaction score
Hello,

I am not a frequent flyer of my h480, (i fly maybe 2-3 times a month) and I wanted to find out what is the best practice to preserve my battery. I use the one battery that came in box with my h480. What is the best battery charging practice for my frequency of flying to preserve my battery life?

I'm not an expert, but my manual says to store the batteries at around 50% charge and not to store them more than 10 days with a full charge. Also never drain the batteries all the way. I don't get the time to fly much anymore myself.

If you only have OEM charger then you cant store the batteries only balance and charge, 10 days fully charged is way too long 2 or 3 days would be better. A 3rd party charger will give you the best care of your battery, capable of measuring Internal resistance too, charging and putting batteries into storage mode. Try not to fly to low battery warnings, it will have a detrimental effect on their life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DoomMeister
Hello,

I am not a frequent flyer of my h480, (i fly maybe 2-3 times a month) and I wanted to find out what is the best practice to preserve my battery. I use the one battery that came in box with my h480. What is the best battery charging practice for my frequency of flying to preserve my battery life?
I can imagine the frustration I would have if I only had one battery. Imagine: setting up and flying then landing after 10 or 15 minutes and then packing up. IMHO I would suggest that the minimum number of batteries a pilot should have available would be 3 (I have several more than 3). You don't have to fly all 3 at once but it'd be nice to have those other 2 batteries available should the need arise.

If you don't have the means to put your batteries into storage with your charger then the only way to roughly hit storage is to land and switch off at about 14.7v. On the 'bounce' back it should hit the storage voltage of around 15..2 ish volts. This means that to get the longest overall life out of your battery you will be restricted to whatever time you manage to get in the air before landing at around 14.7v. I expect that'll be no more than 10 or 11 minutes in the air. Maybe even less if the battery has many charge cycles on it without putting it into storage voltage.

As @Mrgs1 has said above, ideally you need a charger that has a storage option (and even better a IR function) but spending so much on a third party charger to service just one battery sounds a bit much to pay. More cost effective if that charger was servicing two or more batteries.

Go on...buy another battery...you know you want to ?

mrgs1, what is a good 3rd party charger to buy? I only have 2 batteries now, but my typhoon has spent more time being serviced than anything, it's been a real nightmare. Kavservice just shipped it back with the remote powered on! I'm hoping they didn't ruin it.

A decent charger is the price of a battery roughly. You'll need it eventually, you can fly down to approximate storage voltage, but there will be some battery recovery voltage, it's better than nothing, but the health of the battery is important. But yes you need more batteries, which means more flying and more fun!

mrgs1, what is a good 3rd party charger to buy? I only have 2 batteries now, but my typhoon has spent more time being serviced than anything, it's been a real nightmare. Kavservice just shipped it back with the remote powered on! I'm hoping they didn't ruin it.
There's the More powerful Q200 version, but it's good value for money, you'll need leads for the batteries too.

what about using 10000 mah 6S1P / 22.2V / 6Cell into a yuneec Q500? could it fry the bird? I do have a 3rd party charger as described above, wondering if I can limit the charge to 12.2V

Doubling the battery voltage will pretty much assure you’ll use such a battery just once. You won’t have any functioning drone electronics after the first few seconds.

Drone electronics function on voltage, not capacity. Capacity establishes usable time.

Reactions: DoomMeister
what about using 10000 mah 6S1P / 22.2V / 6Cell into a yuneec Q500? could it fry the bird? I do have a 3rd party charger as described above, wondering if I can limit the charge to 12.2V
The minimum voltage you can have with a 6S LiPo pack is 18V and that is bare minimum without causing damage to the pack. The nominal voltage listed for the pack of 22.2V is the point that is more or less considered to be 0%. At 4.2V per cell for full charge you are looking at 25.2V at 100% charge.
A search for LiPo care on the forum or a web search will give you the information you need to know to prevent disaster while using LiPo batteries.

The minimum voltage you can have with a 6S LiPo pack is 18V and that is bare minimum without causing damage to the pack. The nominal voltage listed for the pack of 22.2V is the point that is more or less considered to be 0%. At 4.2V per cell for full charge you are looking at 25.2V at 100% charge.
A search for LiPo care on the forum or a web search will give you the information you need to know to prevent disaster while using LiPo batteries.
Thank you... appreciate the guidance

Doubling the battery voltage will pretty much assure you’ll use such a battery just once. You won’t have any functioning drone electronics after the first few seconds.

Drone electronics function on voltage, not capacity. Capacity establishes usable time.
thank you, I don't want to kill the bird

Discharge the battery voltage to the storage voltage, and place it in a safe place. After a while or so, check it out and recharge and discharge to ensure the voltage. my 3s 5000mah is still well after my careful handle
A full recharge is not necessary after a long storage at storage level. Just bring back to storage level voltage if there has been self discharge. Best to check batteries every 30 days while in storage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval