Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Blinking Green, (Smt) or Purple (Ang)

Reaction score
Hello friends @ YuneecPilots,
My name is Philip and i'm new to the forum and to my Q500 4k. what does it mean when the L.E.D. on the rear is blinking green (When in smart) or blinking purple (When in angle) the radio shows "GPS Ready" and at least 6 sats. for the radio and aircraft. i fly at the same park always, and it has always been "Solid Green" for smart, and solid purple for angle. i didn't fly to high or to far away not knowing if it was safe or not, had no trouble, but the sheet shows/says it means: No GPS Lock. should i fly in that condition?.. thanks for your answer(s) more questions to follow!!! : ) Love My Q500 4K!!!

Welcome to the forum !

The sheet is right - it means no gps lock. You can have some satellites registering but not enough to get a GPS lock, which will give you the flashing pattern. Whilst generally speaking GPS positioning requires a minimum of only 3 sats, the Q500 wants more than that.

Some extended time on the ground (I give it about 5 whole minutes) should allow it to find more satellites, get you a 'lock' and turn those lights solid. I know the Typhoon H wants 14 sats before it goes solid, and I think the Q500 is the same, so 6 does seem low. I usually get 17-20 for example. I am confused that it says 'GPS ready' though - it should say 'acquiring' until it has enough for a lock.

Is it safe to fly like that ? That's going to depend on how comfortable you are with countering drift and flying with no hover lock. You can't ever take your hands off the sticks flying this way, which makes filming all the more difficult. Could be easy on a calm day, or a total nightmare if there's loads of wind constantly dragging your craft away from you...
However there is a corollary here - it is often the case that where you can't get many sats on the ground, sometimes you can once you get higher in the air (above any satellite-obscuring buildings or trees for example), so if you take off with not enough then the problem might just sort itself out as you continue to fly...

Last edited:
Reactions: Philip Pilot
Welcome to the forum !

The sheet is right - it means no gps lock. You can have some satellites registering but not enough to get a GPS lock, which will give you the flashing pattern. Whilst generally speaking GPS positioning requires a minimum of only 3 sats, the Q500 wants more than that.

Some extended time on the ground (I give it about 5 whole minutes) should allow it to find more satellites, get you a 'lock' and turn those lights solid. I know the Typhoon H wants 14 sats before it goes solid, and I think the Q500 is the same, so 6 does seem low. I usually get 17-20 for example. I am confused that it says 'GPS ready' though - it should say 'acquiring' until it has enough for a lock.

Is it safe to fly like that ? That's going to depend on how comfortable you are with countering drift and flying with no hover lock. You can't ever take your hands off the sticks flying this way, which makes filming all the more difficult. Could be easy on a calm day, or a total nightmare if there's loads of wind constantly dragging your craft away from you...
However there is a corollary here - it is often the case that where you can't get many sats on the ground, sometimes you can once you get higher in the air (above any satellite-obscuring buildings or trees for example), so if you take off with not enough then the problem might just sort itself out as you continue to fly...
Thank-You! I think that's what happened last flight... It was "flashing' green or purple (depending on my mode of smart or angle) I flew up not going to high or far away because i was unsure, and if i remember it turned "Solid" when i got up a little... Thanks again for your answer... : )

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal