Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Brand new q500 4k, gimbal not working

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with the CG03 gimbal? Took delivery of my new quad 2 days ago, updated firmware on the quad and transmitter, then made a few flights, but I can't get the gimbal to tilt from the ST10+. I am a newbie pilot, but do have some IT knowledge.

I've tried re-binding the quad and camera, no joy. I have power to the camera and a constant green light, plus I can record video.I did try updating the camera firmware, but don't think this worked, as the LED's didn't reflect this. Viewed a couple of videos which suggested once the update files are on the SD card the camera automatically updates once the card is reinserted and the quad is turned on. Hmmm?

Seen a couple of posts suggesting there are some known issues with some of the cameras? I haven't pressed Yuneec yet just in case I'm being a typical newbie and am missing something basic? But as the gimbal hasn't worked from the get go, my instinct tells me there is an issue with the device.

Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Happy Holidays!

<<UPDATE>> hi all, just to provide you with the conclusion to this post, Yuneec have agreed that the camera is probably faulty and are shipping me a new one. I have to say that although it did take me a few tries to get through to Support, they were super helpful and once they were confident I'd tried all the obvious fixes, they had no hesitation in offering a replacement. Thumbs up to Yuneec.

Last edited:
my new quad 2 days ago, updated firmware on the quad and transmitter, then made a few flights, but I can't get the gimbal to tilt from the ST10+.

Hi, I'm wondering about so many posting about: "I've bought my new ..., I've have updated"
Why all have to update their new Hardware at first ?

My 500 4k was already with the all the latest Firmware.
And the last what I would do is updateting something before I have tested.

'Never change a running system'

Did you test your drone at first, before you update.
To test the camera with the drone, it do not have to be in the air.

You can test, if the tilttswitch works in the ST10.
In the menue you can find a point to test all switches.

There was a big red sticker included stating that the firmware needed to be upgraded before flying, so I'm simply following the manufacturers instructions! Failing to do that would potentially invalidate the warranty.

I did turn on the quad before the update to make sure it powered up, the gimbal would not tilt then either, so I figured the update may fix it.

Can you tell me where on the ST10+ Menu settings the switch testing you refer to can be found, I've looked but can't see anything? The transmitter does beep when the gimbal slider control on the side is moved up and down, but the camera remains unresponsive.

Thanks in advance.

Can you tell me where on the ST10+ Menu settings the switch testing you refer to can be found, I've looked but can't see anything? The transmitter does beep when the gimbal slider control on the side is moved up and down, but the camera remains unresponsive.

Thanks in advance.

My big red stickes on the box only shown RTF and all the features.

look at this video:

Flight Settings
called: Hardwaremonitor @11:26

thanks, all checked and everything is as it should be. I'm pretty certain I must have a circuit board or wiring issue. Time to request a replacement from Yuneec :(

I also have red sticker on box, I believe it is a firmware update if you plan on using the "wizard" hand held controller, I am total newbie here, have not flown my q500 4K yet. Trying to learn as much as I can before first flight , thanks

I also have red sticker on box, I believe it is a firmware update if you plan on using the "wizard" hand held controller, I am total newbie here, have not flown my q500 4K yet. Trying to learn as much as I can before first flight , thanks
The firmware update apparently improves the stability of the quad, it's not just for the Wizard. Quite a few YouTube videos about the benefits of V1.07.

I'm pretty inexperienced too, but I have to say that in Smart Mode, the quad is incredibly easy to control.

Happy flying!

The firmware update apparently improves the stability of the quad, it's not just for the Wizard. Quite a few YouTube videos about the benefits of V1.07.

I'm pretty inexperienced too, but I have to say that in Smart Mode, the quad is incredibly easy to control.

Happy flying!
Thank you, I have been watching some of the You Tube videos, you are correct about V1.07. I think I will fly quad several times out of the box, then install the V1.07 for comparison . Just waiting for some weather, getting nasty here in Oklahoma this weekend. Thanks again, I'm glad this forum exists, awesome information on here

This might be a dumb suggestion , but you are using the lever on the top left side of the ST10+ to move the gimbal correct? Its a mechanical control, not controlled from the screen.

This might be a dumb suggestion , but you are using the lever on the top left side of the ST10+ to move the gimbal correct? Its a mechanical control, not controlled from the screen.
Yes I am using the slider on the transmitter. Since the first post, I've also purchased a Wizard remote and after binding that to the quad, all controls work fine except the gimbal tilt. So I'm pretty certain it's a defective camera.

To adjust the tilt the camera uses 3 wires.
VCC - positive power, GND negative power and PWM for the
gimbal motor.
If the cameras works only for video, not for adjusting, it is possible
the third wire is disconnected.
The camera itself is only connected with the 4 gum dampers at the gimbal.
So, if the underside of the gimbal was disconnected from
its upperside the wires can get damaged cause the wires are very short
and thin.

If you have the camera that still need the additional short wire
to get connected with the copter, check if this one is not broken.

But all this should not be your problem, when you have a new copter.

Thanks for the info, my thinking is exactly this, ie that there is a loose or broken connection. I'd be happy to unscrew the covers, but don't want to invalidate the warranty so I've emailed Yuneec asking whether they are happy for me to do this prior to returning the camera.

I've done some digging around on the web and sadly it does seem this is not unusual, I've found a number of posts in various forums/reviews reporting the same issue.

And yes, very frustrating seeing that this a brand new bird!

Reactions: jmosroc
I have this same issue with one of the q500's I have. Interestingly the tilt function works perfect on the steady grip but just beeps like yours on the bird from the ST10+. This makes me believe it's not an issue with the camera or gimbal but something with the ST10. I have another ST10+ in the mail and will test with it once it arrives.

I've got a variation on these themes. After putting my typoon through airline baggage handling my cgo and gimbal died. No gimbal activity at all, i did have pictures.

After some searching I purchased a new cgo3. Did the bind, all intialized well but NO TILT. It did tilt with action cam handle , that combined with it being new rules out the camera. It does not tilt with its "shoe connection" nor the braided cable option.

I've gone into the engineering menu on st10 and confirmed all the control buttons and reset, I can only suppose the issue is actually on the copter.

Has anyone cone across this variation?

Yuneeaustralia

I have the same problem as well. In my case it's a friends drone and camera and he previously had a crash. After purchasing another CG03 as the one he had was not calibrating properly (jumping and shaking etc. gyro too damaged from the crash I guess) we tried out the new camera and he had no tilt function. I then swapped out his camera with my drone (we both have Typhoon Q500+ 4k's) did the bind and the camera functioned perfectly. This was with the hot shoe and the cable, no difference both worked as intended. As his crash was pilot error and Yuneec would not warranty his drone/camera we opened up the drone to see if there were any cut/damaged wires, cooked boards or the like and everything looked fine.

It would be great to know if there are any other ways of testing the drone and or camera other than the GUI and the ST10+ controllers test functions to see what the culprit might be.

Just curious,
Has anyone tried reinstalling the factory firmware in the Quad to see if it helps this problem after a crash ?
I know it really shouldn't make a difference but I've seen stranger situations that were fixed after a reinstall of the firmware.
My next thought is... tilt is controlled on the 2.4Ghz side. Some have the issue with the wire and some with the shoe. What commonalities do they share ??
Signal goes from the receiver to the control board and onto what ever connection you have for the camera.
For some.. the wire inside the Q from the control board to the connector for the camera may have an issue.
Next is the control board. I doubt the board is failing in issuing commands that it knows to give. The board may have lost or corrupted some programming for any number of reasons in a crash (which leads me back to reinstalling the firmware.)
And lastly, I have no doubt the receiver's are working okay.
Of course, it can always be a problem with something inside the camera too.
Just my 2 cents worth of quick thoughts on this issue.
Hope you people can get your issues fixed quick and back to flying as you should be.
Good luck,
Jafo

I have been searching for a solution to this issue as well. I bought a used Q500 4K so there is no warranty available. When the Drone arrived it worked fine until I took the camera off one day to access some videos. When I put the camera back on the gimbal functions did not work anymore but the camera view worked fine. I was unsure what the issue was so I attempted a firmware update on the camera and ST10+ transmitter. That did not help. I then located a damaged contact on the hot shoe connector on the gimbal so I ordered a new contact connector. Changing that did not fix the problem so I tried connecting an alaternate ST10+ tranmitter, which also changed nothing. I then ordered the braided connector cable and tried that .... nothing changed. I have never crashed this copter and it worked fine before I removed it. My next thought is the circuit board in the gimbal. Has anyone ever changed that to get the gimbal issue resolved?

I'm gonna be "that guy" and ask if you've removed the plastic protector from the back of the camera. It's held on with yellow tape.

I'm gonna be "that guy" and ask if you've removed the plastic protector from the back of the camera. It's held on with yellow tape.
If this question was for me, my bird was used when I bought it and there was no plastic protector on it when I got it. Thank you for your reply though...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval