Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Calibrating Typhoon H Real Sense.

Reaction score
Should I calibrate my Typhoon H Real Sense before the first flight? Or is it not necessary. Some say one thing and someone says another. What is the best and safe?

I would calibrate once after receiving it, or after traveling a significant distance. Thereafter, calibrate only when the Typhoon indicates it is necessary.

Calibrations can fail or be worse than the previous one. If you calibrate before every flight, eventually you will make things worse than they were previously.

It is crucial that the accelerometer and camera gimbal be calibrated on a perfectly level surface.

Reactions: bowhunt
I do not know if it is necessary. In Yuneec's Quick Start manual for the Pro, they have no mention of calibration.

I myself, before I flew my Pro, decided to calibrate all three, starting with the Compass. Yes, the Compass thing is weird! I followed the instructions in their Version 1.1 manual. As THoff said, it is important to have the drone on a level surface for the the last two. I followed the instructions precisely, and had no problems.

I have flown the Pro 15-20 times since I got it on July 18, only did that one calibration.

Because there is at the moment little documentation on the Pro, go slow, keep it in Turtle, and fly, fly, keep it visual. I suggest you take off and land in Angle Mode. You'll probably get 14 to 17 minutes flight, depending on conditions. The RealSense must have GPS lock to work.

Good luck, you have a great bird.

I would calibrate once after receiving it, or after traveling a significant distance. Thereafter, calibrate only when the Typhoon indicates it is necessary.

Calibrations can fail or be worse than the previous one. If you calibrate before every flight, eventually you will make things worse than they were previously.

It is crucial that the accelerometer and camera gimbal be calibrated on a perfectly level surface.
Why do you say that it would make things worse ?
Even compass calibration "you will make things worse than they were previously"?

Rayray made a very good point -- do not take off in Smart Mode or the Typhoon will immediately try to put 8 meters of distance between itself and and the ST16. For a number of people, that has meant a crash into an obstacle on the first takeoff. The Typhoon H Pro with RealSense has the advantage of being able to avoid collisions, but you would still need to enable it on the ST16 before you take off.

Why do you say that it would make things worse ?
Even compass calibration "you will make things worse than they were previously"?
The calibration doesn't alyways work because the procedure isn't followed correctly, or due to environmental factors. If the previous calibration was good, you replace it with a bad one. I'm sure many of the "toilet bowl" problems can be attributed to not having the Typhoon resting on a perfectly level surface with all electronics (including the ST16) sufficiently far away.

Should I calibrate my Typhoon H Real Sense before the first flight? Or is it not necessary. Some say one thing and someone says another. What is the best and safe?
Hello, Do you mean COMPASS calibration or REAL SENSE calibration. How do you calibrate the real sense module?......This may be my issue I am having when in OA..... SMART MODE and FOLLOW ME mode, the TH seems to TWITCH left/right and up/down then a second later is stable.

I think he just means calibrating his Typhon H Pro with RealSense -- there is no calibration for the RealSense module itself. All the calibration options are the same as for any other Typhoon H.

The calibration doesn't alyways work because the procedure isn't followed correctly, or due to environmental factors. If the previous calibration was good, you replace it with a bad one. I'm sure many of the "toilet bowl" problems can be attributed to not having the Typhoon resting on a perfectly level surface with all electronics (including the ST16) sufficiently far away.

Never had a toilet bowl problem.
I always calibrate my compass the first flight of the day.
What if for some reason the compass settings in your craft get corrupted? It's easily possible and that's why I calibrate my compass the first flight of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

englisch:
Hello@all ,
since the Real Sense relies on correct values is a calibration when you want to fly with Real Sense, necessary before each flight and at each new location. I've always done, going so fast. Who flies with Wizard, should also calibrate the wizard previously locally.

greeting
Fan Tho Mass

deutsch:
Hallo ,
da das RealSense auf korrekte Werte angewiesen ist, ist eine Kalibrierung, wenn man mit RealSense fliegen will, vor jedem Flug und an jeder neuen Location notwendig. Ich hab das immer gemacht, geht ja schnell. Wer mit Wizard fliegt, sollte auch den Wizard vorher vor Ort kalibrieren.

Gruß
Fan Tho Mass

englisch:
Hello@all ,
since the Real Sense relies on correct values is a calibration when you want to fly with Real Sense, necessary before each flight and at each new location. I've always done, going so fast. Who flies with Wizard, should also calibrate the wizard previously locally.

greeting
Fan Tho Mass

deutsch:
Hallo ,
da das RealSense auf korrekte Werte angewiesen ist, ist eine Kalibrierung, wenn man mit RealSense fliegen will, vor jedem Flug und an jeder neuen Location notwendig. Ich hab das immer gemacht, geht ja schnell. Wer mit Wizard fliegt, sollte auch den Wizard vorher vor Ort kalibrieren.

Gruß
Fan Tho Mass

Thank Fan Thomas. I know that you know what you're talking about. I have seen several of your videos with Real Sense. But why should real Sense calibrated every time? When Advance is not to be.

Vielen Fan Thomas. Ich weiß, dass du weißt, was du redest. Ich habe einige Ihrer Videos mit Real Sense gesehen. Aber warum sollte wirklichen H Real Sense jedes Mal kalibriert? Wenn Advance nicht sein.

I do not know if it is necessary. In Yuneec's Quick Start manual for the Pro, they have no mention of calibration.

I myself, before I flew my Pro, decided to calibrate all three, starting with the Compass. Yes, the Compass thing is weird! I followed the instructions in their Version 1.1 manual. As THoff said, it is important to have the drone on a level surface for the the last two. I followed the instructions precisely, and had no problems.

I have flown the Pro 15-20 times since I got it on July 18, only did that one calibration.

Because there is at the moment little documentation on the Pro, go slow, keep it in Turtle, and fly, fly, keep it visual. I suggest you take off and land in Angle Mode. You'll probably get 14 to 17 minutes flight, depending on conditions. The RealSense must have GPS lock to work.

Good luck, you have a great bird.

I' m used with my DJI Phantom 2 and 3 to do a compass calibration just before flying on a day. So i, think i will do it with my H also.

Marnix

Reactions: abinder
My stupid question, but what is the result when my H isn't calibrated? How can I see or know when I have to calibrate?

Dirk

Last edited:
While we're on the topic of calibrating and H pro Real Sense...I was never able to fly my H Pro because while doing compass calibrating three of the six arms collapsed (would not stay locked)...I've sent it back for repair before I even got to fly it...pretty major QC item overlooked....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval