Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

camera angle above horizontal...possible?

Reaction score
I know Yuneec is marketing this camera as a solid platform for smooth video movement. From what I have learned so far, is that the camera will only angle upwards to a level, horizontal position. But what about the need to film/capture something by aiming the camera above the horizontal level?

For example, inspecting the underside of a bridge, or for a cinematic shot flying from ground level upwards to a focal interest that is up on a hillside?

I know that aiming the camera above the horizontal plane will increase the likeliness of getting the props into the camera shot, but there are times when seeing above horizontal doesn't work with simply increasing altitude.

How do you like to film above the horizontal position ? You always see your propellers, this makes no sense.
If you like to film the sky, try to use a GoPro on the top of the copter.

s8oa4dqt.png

How do you like to film above the horizontal position ? You always see your propellers, this makes no sense.
If you like to film the sky, try to use a GoPro on the top of the copter.

s8oa4dqt.png

If i wanted a shot of the sky, i could just stay on the ground and not need an aerial camera to begin with. ;)
But what i'm saying is that even an increase of 10 to 15 deg positive horizontal angle can really help with some shots. An aerial platform has to do more than just look down to reveal, or enhance, the visual dramatics of elevation. I'm not sure at what point of positive angle the props would come into view, and forward flight would make them even more visible, but if i was to be doing an inspection on the underside of a structure (utility shot), and not cinematic shot, then seeing the props in camera isn't the concern. :)

a good example of why this is needed. 10 degrees of up angle and this shot would be complete.

Or a good fish-eye ... I do not believe you will get the whole rainbow with 10° angle above the horizon.
It is visually too close.

Or a good fish-eye ... I do not believe you will get the whole rainbow with 10° angle above the horizon.
It is visually too close.
Ummm...did you just suggest adding a fish-eye lense?? My goodness...thats blasphemy.

@Sirwilliam .. thank you for the great example. Too bad you couldn't get the horizon to the lower third :( That was a rainbow view like i've never seen before.

The Tornado has, i think, up to +30 deg to -120 deg. So obviously, I'm not the only person that thinks positive angle is useful :)
Wjws08N.gif

Last edited:
There must be a way because the camera tilts up when it's mounted to the hand-held device that comes with the q500 4k. So it must be a futon of the ST10 and not the gimbal.

I don't suppose you could vary the thrust to tilt the aircraft a certain way? With 6 props there would be more to work with. Of course, if the gimbal was already locked on maybe it would compensate and then no difference...

With any multicopter, changing the attitude (not altitude) of the craft will mean directional flight toward the low side of the craft.

I just had an idea. I'm willing to bet the lack of adjustment above level is due to a limitation of the lever control on the st10+. With that said, it should be possible to change the resistance of the potentiometer that's connected to that lever. If the resistance gets higher as you move the lever up, adding resistance to the output should make the gimbal angle higher. It would be a lot easier though, if it was just a matter of an adjustment in the settings. Just like changing the amount of throw on any given channel of most aftermarket transmitters.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval