Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Camera Gimbal Issues

Reaction score
So I am a brand new here, just received my unit on Friday. Spent yesterday on this and other sites absorbing as much information as I could. Being new I decided after reading the post on the benefits of the new firmware that I would apply them prior to launching for the first time. I used the Micro SD card process and all seemed well. I calibrated the accelerometer, gimbal and compass. For not ever doing this it seemed to go well. After completing all the steps and re-binding the units. I decided to take it on its maiden flight. All went well, accept the gimbal would not tilt at all. So after a couple of tries I could not get it to tilt. Brought the unit back in and cleared the flight data and then performed a re-bind again. I do notice when I calibrate the gimbal, it seems to move up and over to the right or left and then settle to either the right or left with the camera point in an upward position. Only a few seconds into the calibration it stops. Is this normal? Any ideas or thoughts?
Thanks!

Are the two switches on the left all the way to the top on the ST16 controller?

Are the two switches on the left all the way to the top on the ST16 controller?

Gimbal recalibration requires restart post calibration before touching any controls. Make sure the H is level and untouched during calibration. The gimbal will rotate around and move up an down for about a minute then stop often pointed straight but turned slightly left or right. This is normal. A restart will re initialize the gimbal properly and you should have the controls properly from there forward.

Reactions: Robert Brooks
Gimbal recalibration requires restart post calibration before touching any controls. Make sure the H is level and untouched during calibration. The gimbal will rotate around and move up an down for about a minute then stop often pointed straight but turned slightly left or right. This is normal. A restart will re initialize the gimbal properly and you should have the controls properly from there forward.
Did not realize that, will give it go and let you all know Thanks!

I had issues like this when I started it up with the cover still on the camera / gimbal. Restart should clear it, but if in doubt, find a totally level area to do the gimbal calibration.

Might be worth checking that your ST16 is calibrated also, you can see the output in the Hardware Monitor, under System Settings. This can be calibrated by entering the secret menu by tapping several times on the About Controller button. Google it first though!

Ok just flew the unit for the second time. The gimbal still does the same thing, it actually will move a little downward and then stop. If i then move the slide back up it will move the little bit back to horizontal. Seems as though it is trying to move but will not go past where it stops. Not sure what to do at this point.

Ok just flew the unit for the second time. The gimbal still does the same thing, it actually will move a little downward and then stop. If i then move the slide back up it will move the little bit back to horizontal. Seems as though it is trying to move but will not go past where it stops. Not sure what to do at this point.

What does hardware monitor show you about the tilt slider function? Make sure everything is in the middle if you calibrate ST 16 as part of this trouble shoot. I'd reseat the gimbal as well and make sure all 6 contacts are solid.

What does hardware monitor show you about the tilt slider function? Make sure everything is in the middle if you calibrate ST 16 as part of this trouble shoot. I'd reseat the gimbal as well and make sure all 6 contacts are solid.
Thanks for the reply, I did both of those, I validated in Hardware Monitor that the controls match their location. Also removed the camera and reseated it. This is crazy I hope we can get some resolution soon. Thanks!

Last resort is to really inspect gimbal motors for any sticky spots or bent shafts. They are brushless motors and extreme movements when powered can damage it. Like a crash when it's upside down and still powered and gimbals trying to correct and can't. For this reason, I never calibrate with camera attached as I don't like pushing those little motors to their extremes. Also, an initialization with gimbal cover on can cause motor damage if not caught quickly. Finally, check your mount. If it's not connected properly it can hang improperly and not be level which will confuse gimbal orientation. Make sure all dampeners are seated properly under the protective cover.

Update: Thanks for all the different advice! I did everything that I could to no avail. So I called Tech Support Monday evening and spoke to Rose. She was very nice and asked all the questions and then decided the unit was defective. I had two options: one, she could give me an RMA and send it in for repair (2+ weeks at least) or number two: Call Amazon where I Purchased it and see if they would take it back and replace it since I had just received it on Friday. Well I called Amazon and they were fast and very efficient, I told the tech that I had already worked with Yuneec and that it was determined to be defective. He said ok and took a few notes and then emailed me while I was on the phone the shipping labels to return the unit and today on Wednesday I received another brand new unit. I have booted it up and Gimbal seems to work just fine. I plan to update the firmware to the latest (using the Micro-SD card process) and then re-calibrate and take it out for a flight once we get some clear weather.

A note for those that do what everyone eventually does. If you start up the H and forgot to remove the gimbal lock, power the system down, remove the lock, and start over. The camera functions will not work right if the cover/lock was removed after boot up and will need to reset by turning the aircraft off and on again.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vbd777