Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

camera looses WIFI at a short distance

Reaction score
I have had this happen to me twice, once I was in a no obstruction area, good line of sight got out there about 900ft in distance and lost camera functionality HMM. The second time I was in my neighborhood took it over the house and into the park about 300ft in distance and once I went behind a tree I lost the camera, I can understand that somewhat. I think possibly the houses WIFI interrupted it.

What is the actual range of the WIFI on the camera and what can you do to increase that range? I of course get scared when that happens being somewhat of a new pilot, so I return it to home or go straight up to obtain a view of the drone.

Thanks

Most are only getting about 650-750 feet on video. I mean... it's possible to go a bit farther but not reliably.
Not sure where you guys get the idea you can go out that far without mods and expect video.
Kinda like the 20 minute run times on stock 5400mah batteries. It's a fantasy...
Look into antenna mods if your looking to go that far out.
Good luck and happy flying,
Jafo

wow just looked through these links I think I need one of these MODs need to figure out where I can get it done, I like my stuff done right so that means I will not do it.

I'm actually doing the Q mods this weekend myself.
I did the radio mod about 3 months ago and I can go out about 2200' reliably on video. LOS of course.
I'm hoping to get much better reception with the mods to the Q.
The stuff is pretty easy to do if you have the right tools.

I hit about 1000 ft before I lose video ( Thats in the country) About 700-800 ft In Town before video loss. I have no mods

I have had this happen to me twice, once I was in a no obstruction area, good line of sight got out there about 900ft in distance and lost camera functionality HMM. The second time I was in my neighborhood took it over the house and into the park about 300ft in distance and once I went behind a tree I lost the camera, I can understand that somewhat. I think possibly the houses WIFI interrupted it.

What is the actual range of the WIFI on the camera and what can you do to increase that range? I of course get scared when that happens being somewhat of a new pilot, so I return it to home or go straight up to obtain a view of the drone.

Thanks

Line of sight maybe your trouble.I fly in the country,at 100ft.alt.I can go about 2500ft.That is with out mods!However there is nothing else around.You have to keep the transmitter pointed at the quad,this is important!!You will get no range if you don"t!

Line of sight maybe your trouble.I fly in the country,at 100ft.alt.I can go about 2500ft.That is with out mods!However there is nothing else around.You have to keep the transmitter pointed at the quad,this is important!!You will get no range if you don"t!
Most people won't believe you dark...but I will...I've been over 2,700ft with video and no mods

In the city other stray signals like heavy WiFi signals will cut down on your video reception range.

The mods to the Q went well and today I did a range test.
I got out about 4800' and an altitude of about 1200'.
I have some new batteries on the way and will test again when I have more power for longer flights.
Happy flying,
Jafo

The mods to the Q went well and today I did a range test.
I got out about 4800' and an altitude of about 1200'.
I have some new batteries on the way and will test again when I have more power for longer flights.
Happy flying,
Jafo
What batteries did you order and where? What is the fly time on the new batteries?

I ordered a two pack of Gifi 7100mah from Ebay for $135.00 US.
I get a comfortable 17-18 minutes with a few minutes in reserve.
Flight times vary. Wind and the style of flying play a huge roll.
:)

I ordered a two pack of Gifi 7100mah from Ebay for $135.00 US.
I get a comfortable 17-18 minutes with a few minutes in reserve.
Flight times vary. Wind and the style of flying play a huge roll.
Thanks! I was looking at those at Carolina Dronz... I am assuming that max flight time for the Q500 is going to be around that 18 minute mark... I noticed on a full charge with original batteries I am getting about 12 minutes... do the mods add a major drain on the battery/flight time?

The mods do nothing at all for flight times.All your doing is moving antenna locations and upgrading the antenna's themselves.
Yes, 12-14 minutes was about normal for the standard flight packs. I got about 16 minutes with the Gifi 6400's and about 18 with the gifi 7100's. All with a few minutes in reserve.
So far... all the upgrades (batteries and Mods) have worked out well for me.
I'm into hill climbing with my drone and I have a hill about 4200' that's calling my name.
That might happen this weekend.

Added: Don't be afraid to shop around for your best prices.

The mods do nothing at all for flight times.All your doing is moving antenna locations and upgrading the antenna's themselves.
Yes, 12-14 minutes was about normal for the standard flight packs. I got about 16 minutes with the Gifi 6400's and about 18 with the gifi 7100's. All with a few minutes in reserve.
So far... all the upgrades (batteries and Mods) have worked out well for me.
I'm into hill climbing with my drone and I have a hill about 4200' that's calling my name.
That might happen this weekend.
That's awesome! I registered mine commercially as my wife shoots video and I am going to venture into the inspection side of things with it soon. Currently in the process of researching cameras... not too happy about the lack of zoom feature with the stock camera

Think about getting legal if your going to do much commercial work.
At the very least... join the AMA and get insured.
We are in the process of crossing all T's and dotting all I's right now. We are in Raleigh and there is only 1 other "registered" commercial operation. Not doing any inspection work just real estate and event photos and videos... I know the FAA regulates us to 400ft, how high have you flown yours?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval