Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Can the Typhoon H plus camera be dismounted and used separately?

Reaction score
Hello,
This is my first post and if this is covered somewhere else I apologize. I have found a H plus that I want to buy (it will be my first drone purchase) and I was wondering if could be dismounted and used separately like the camera on the Q500. If so what do I need to purchase to make it possible? I would love to be able have a gimbal enabled camera on the ground without having to buy a drone and also a separate gimbal and camera. I emailed Yuneec about this and they basically emailed back "no." They at least emailed back, so there is that. I have heard that an H is compatible with the steadygrip, but I would really like to have the H plus instead.
Thank you very much,
and p.s. there is no way, shape, or form that is is going to be used for anything professional. I just want to play around with getting videos of me and the wife playing around on our sidecar and her being able to use the camera in the steadygrip taking video from inside the car as we are driving by things.

Reactions: Peter b
Simple answer is yes. There is no steady grip available for the C23, but the ST16 can control the camera without the aircraft. It will need a power source like a LiPo, once powered up you will be able to bind to the camera and operate all the imaging functions. The gimbal will function and keep the camera level, but you will not have pan or tilt control of the gimbal.

Last edited:
Your saying I could take the camera off the drone and control it with the station? Thank you for the reply!

our saying I could take the camera off the drone and control it with the station?
Yep. But you will have to hold the gimbal somehow while you use it. It is actually easier to leave the camera attached to the Plus and hold the aircraft with your hand, or set it on something, the landing gear are a nice stand and you can adjust the pan and tilt to frame the shot.. You can leave the props off and the arms folded down to reduce the size.

Thanks again, but the hope was to use the drone to take videos/pictures of us riding our Ural and also for her to to take stabilized video while riding in the sidecar. Holding the H plus up while also manipulating the ST16 will be a lot for her, plus she also has a 5 pound Pom to keep corraled in there too. He does look cool with his little Doggles on though:)

The Plus is for taking aerial videos of the Ural and sidecar from above. Sounds like you need a simple hand-held video camera for what you want to capture. An H Plus is way more kit, complication, and setup than you need for that shot -in fact it's over the top complicated for what you want to do. Don't you have a little GoPro or something more manageable?

Reactions: johnnyb57
Not the H plus but the H can use the steady grip and its CG03 camera/gimbal. Then youll need a nice size 12v battery or r use an H battery but that will have to be wired in

This was a topic I was interested in. I don't have much money so don't want to throw it out just buying the grip... But from what I've read and experimented with, one issue with the C23 on the grip is the lack of phone app. My understanding is the steady grip provides power, an initialisation signal and tilt control (PWM). Everything else is done over wifi from the app.
The C23 video stream is available on the same URL as the CGO3 (and most others), and some of the Yuneec apps (along with VLC) will show it just fine. But the controls don't work, and you can't change settings. It's possible this is as simple as the app checking the model of the camera and failing, aswell as the app sending requests that don't make sense to the camera (like asking for a video mode that doesn't exist).

One thing I never tried but meant to was sticking the app from the actual controller into an Android phone to see what it does.

Unfortunately I rarely have time for fiddling like I used to so I'm just throwing out some memories of what I found in case it helps someone else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop