Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

can you do crop mapping with

Reaction score
can the H920 do crop mapping? what else can you do with it besides video and pics?
thanks!

Sony is releasing a new multi spectral/RGB camera system for this purpose that does not require networking. It may be possible, strike that, I’m sure it’s possible to adapt the 920 to carry it. I’ll post a link to their press release a bit later.

Sony is releasing a new multi spectral/RGB camera system for this purpose that does not require networking. It may be possible, strike that, I’m sure it’s possible to adapt the 920 to carry it. I’ll post a link to their press release a bit later.
What about the H520 pro?

Mapping is not dependent to what aircraft you fly. Even an iPhone can do photogrammetry. There are lots of tutorials on how to do it. I mapped with an H+ although it’s taxing, but not impossible.

Last edited:
Having to learn things sort of defeats the premise of becoming an instant success, doesn't it?;) OTOH, "crop mapping" covers a lot of territory. If all one is doing is mapping out a field just about any drone having a camera that records GPS position data can do it, but the amount of work required to complete the process varies immensely. For crop health a multi spectral camera is required.

The new Sony release;
Sony Launches MSZ-2100G Agriculture Solution for Crop Management - sUAS News - The Business of Drones

Having to learn things sort of defeats the premise of becoming an instant success, doesn't it?;)

[emoji1419] love it! As always.

Echoing the pioneers in the field “Son! We used to map fields using film with 24 exposures, and worst yet, barefooted in the snow” [emoji23]

And I actually did walk a couple miles each way to attend grade school. But life has been made much easier and most have become fatter in the process. Myself included.

Fast and easy is good, but learning fundamentals first makes you better. You can learn to shoot first or how to aim first. Only one will get you on target.

Edit; did a Goggle Earth sanity check and have to revise. 1.3 miles for high school and 1.67 miles for intermediate school.

Last edited:
[emoji1419] love it! As always.

Echoing the pioneers in the field “Son! We used to map fields using film with 24 exposures, and worst yet, barefooted in the snow” [emoji23]

AND it was Kodachrome, so we had to wait a week to see if it worked...?

Not if you paid extra for over night processing[emoji6] Give me those nice, bright colors, give me those days of summer...

Having to learn things sort of defeats the premise of becoming an instant success, doesn't it?;) OTOH, "crop mapping" covers a lot of territory. If all one is doing is mapping out a field just about any drone having a camera that records GPS position data can do it, but the amount of work required to complete the process varies immensely. For crop health a multi spectral camera is required.

The new Sony release;
Sony Launches MSZ-2100G Agriculture Solution for Crop Management - sUAS News - The Business of Drones
Great add to multi-spectral... I also see it can come with a above mount light sensor to improve accuracy of NDVI. Haven’t seen any Ag reviews on it yet, too new. But I’m more intersted in it’s associated Software “FFA” Fast Field Analyzer. Looks like pretty complete package for NDVI processing of crops, moisture & soil collection and performed via local processing and local to stitch all photos... fully non-cloud is a Plus! Haven’t found any discussions yet, but if that SW is included with Camera, it’s a game changer for smaller operators (myself) avoiding high cost of other Ag analysis tools. Also looks like it’ll create the export file for Ag machinery that uses terra-gps files for controlled application of chemicals.

Might give the Big Boy Ag focused software companies a run for it... they’ll still own the large Corp Ag ops... but the majority of new sales are smaller operations & smaller non-coop service providers. I would assume if it takes off strong, Sony would add a SW version much higher than the 165ac limit now per mission or allow multi-missions to merge for much larger fields in 1000plus Ac.

On the platform choice of a H920, consistent reliable overlap on the grid mapping and very acccurate control of altitude is critical for reliable NDVI processing for application chemicals. If the craft isn’t capable to fly an autonomous mission, it’d be more challenging & less accurate. The H520 would be a much better platform between it’s included tools and 3rd party such as UgCS.

Great to see Sony jump in this market, it’s been needing some non-Ag proprietary competition and Sony would be a strong player at a predicted much lower cost. These cameras aren’t overly complicated and really don’t justify the extreme cost for other Ag focused brands of $3k upwards.

And I actually did walk a couple miles each way to attend grade school. But life has been made much easier and most have become fatter in the process. Myself included.

Fast and easy is good, but learning fundamentals first makes you better. You can learn to shoot first or how to aim first. Only one will get you on target.

Edit; did a Goggle Earth sanity check and have to revise. 1.3 miles for high school and 1.67 miles for intermediate school.
Thought you were youth mid-west... 1.6, that’s a 30-40 minute walk... my teen-age girlfriend was 2 towns over... equated to a 90 min cross country bike ride at brisk pace. Getting home after midnight movie on date night, Dad loved to rouse me at 5am for chores. Always heard, Builds Character Boy!

Reactions: PatR

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz