Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Can you fly without the realsense module on the Plus?

Yes... the RS module is the only difference between the Plus and the Plus Pro.

Reactions: JackMTaco
Thought that was the difference on the H and H pro. Didn't know there was 2 different Plus models. Thanks for the quick response!

Last edited:
H and H Pro refer to the original H-480. Plus should not be associated with them as it only applies to the latest H release of 520mm dimension intended for videography.

Thanks to all for the clarification... a few stores had referred to the RS model as a "Pro"... and I thought they might be using accurate terminology... what was I thinkin' ?

I was told there are no dumb questions so here it goes. What does the real sense do and is it worth getting on the H+

I was told there are no dumb questions so here it goes. What does the real sense do and is it worth getting on the H+

RealSense by Intel

Real Sense is used on the Typhoon series for advanced autonomous operations such as "Follow Me" and "Watch Me". When the system detects an obstruction, it tries to calculate a path around the obstruction.

The problem is that the system on the Typhoon H is limited in scope. There are only sensors pointing toward the front and pointing down. This means the system is blind to the sides and above.

Unfortunately if flown into an area that provides no clearing to the sides or above, the system will try to clear the obstruction, even though it has no way of detecting objects in those other directions.

Given the typical scenario, the Typhoon is programmed to first attempt to gain altitude to clear an obstruction... and as one pilot attempted, using this system to navigate out of a wooded area. The aircraft ascended as programmed, and flew into the tree canopy above.

Unless you are planning regular use of the "Watch Me" or "Follow Me" functions, it has no purpose other than to add weight and drain battery power for a system not being utilized.

RealSense by Intel

Real Sense is used on the Typhoon series for advanced autonomous operations such as "Follow Me" and "Watch Me". When the system detects an obstruction, it tries to calculate a path around the obstruction.

The problem is that the system on the Typhoon H is limited in scope. There are only sensors pointing toward the front and pointing down. This means the system is blind to the sides and above.

Unfortunately if flown into an area that provides no clearing to the sides or above, the system will try to clear the obstruction, even though it has no way of detecting objects in those other directions.

Given the typical scenario, the Typhoon is programmed to first attempt to gain altitude to clear an obstruction... and as one pilot attempted, using this system to navigate out of a wooded area. The aircraft ascended as programmed, and flew into the tree canopy above.

Unless you are planning regular use of the "Watch Me" or "Follow Me" functions, it has no purpose other than to add weight and drain battery power for a system not being utilized.

Isnt it also part of the IPS? Isnt it required to fly indoors?

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
Yes, that would be an additional function of RS... Thanks for adding that !

Reactions: JackMTaco
I went with the Pro package because the extra battery, backpack, wizard wand, and props were slightly more than worth the difference in price between the manufacturer refurb'd standard H and the Pro (about $120-ish difference).

However, in practice, I have never used RealSense and am not sure I will given the very real limitations that Eagle's Eye mentioned.

I think my original RealSense was defective as the ST16 never recognized it. I hope that when my H is back from being repaired by Yuneec that the new RealSense does work (it too was destroyed in the crash), but I will probably sell it here in the classifieds if it does.

Given the number of crashes resulting from either RealSense or the wizard wand, I am not so sure either was worth it in the Pro package. However, in videos where those technologies are working, they sure do look cool as ****!

Hopefully some day I will use one or both ;)

-Chris

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop