Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Capture a frame from video?

Reaction score
I have some amazing lightning storms here in AZ. I do not know how to review video and screen shot a photo, I would love some guidance
Thank you in advance!!

I have some amazing lightning storms here in AZ. I do not know how to review video and screen shot a photo, I would love some guidance
Thank you in advance!!
I use VLC media player to drop pictures from footage. Download official VLC media player for Windows - VideoLAN It's a free prog. There are other progs available but that's what I use.
If you get it, then click on 'Video' to drop down a menu and the bottom selection is what you click on to take the snap.
Here is a picture dropped of using that method.beach2.png

Reactions: Drattazzi
I use VLC media player to drop pictures from footage. Download official VLC media player for Windows - VideoLAN It's a free prog. There are other progs available but that's what I use.
If you get it, then click on 'Video' to drop down a menu and the bottom selection is what you click on to take the snap.
Here is a picture dropped of using that method.View attachment 10513
Great pic FlushVison! I use GOM PLAYER free too, but I will try VLC MEDIA PLAYER too. Best from Sweden

Here is a picture dropped of using that method.View attachment 10513
Flush.. Can you recommend a safe link to download the Download official VLC media player for Windows - VideoLAN Thanx!

I find Gom Player better than VLC. I had issues with VLC, video would stagger.

@Photo why do you think the link to videolan.org is not safe?

I have used Adobe Elements video version and had good results. It allows you to pull any frame. see attachedBreeze_180717114210_000_2.jpg Comtess 6.jpg Breeze_180717114210_000_3.jpg

If you're an Adobe Lightroom user its pretty easy to pull a frame from a video in the "Library". You can't actually process the video but after pulling the frame you can edit it in the "Develop" module.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, and you'd also like to have some professional video editing ability, I'd recommend PowerDirector, Adobe Premiere Elements, or something similar, as these will all have the ability to "capture" a still image & output it in the image format of your choice. In the other hand, if you want more powerful video editing capabilities (as well as your required image "capture"/output), then Adobe Premiere Pro or CC is your best bet for Mac AND Windows PCs.

If you're on a Mac also consider iMovie for beginners (free) and Final Cut Pro X ($299) for more serious editing.

If people desire to review videos on the SD card they will have to possess some form of equipment that permits obtaining data from the card for review in a media player. If you have a phone that accepts an SD card such may be possible but the screen size makes pleasurable viewing a frustrating experience, and any editing extremely difficult.

For those on a budget or not needing extensive video editing capability there are other much less expensive, non subscription programs available that also provide frame grab capability. If using Win-10 this feature is in one of the photo programs included with the OS but it does not work all that well as captures may end up showing considerable motion and be of low resolution.

My personal favorite because it loads faster than VLC player and will play nearly any video including .avc files.

Downloads · MPC-HC
Thanks Steve, I installed that and it works well.

FWIW, I've also had excellent results in Windows 10 with video displayed full screen on 4K monitor using "Movies & TV" and PrtScr (or Alt_PrtScr for main monitor only in multi-screen setup). It puts the image on the Clipboard where you can paste it into your favorite image editing software to create a .jpg file at minimal compression.

Comparing results with MPC-HC, I found no difference in quality although the PrtScr method file size is over twice as large (7.1KB vs 2.5KB).

Trying the same thing with Cyberlink PowerDirector 16, it produces a fine snapshot but the file size is much smaller (1.5KB) and it has slightly less detail than the 2 methods mentioned above.

VLC Media Player also makes a decent snapshot (3.7KB) but the player struggles with playing 4K video smoothly, even on a hot PC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Carr
If you poke around in VLC media player, you can customize the buttons on the bottom for frame stepping & frame grabs.
Here is a video slide show made with almost 2 years of frame grabs from 3 different models with different cameras.

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430