Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Carbon propeller question

Reaction score
Have had my Q500 4K for a couple of months now and have flown it a lot and I'm thinking about upgrading the propellers to carbon fiber but I have some questions about carbon fiber props:

Does anyone use them?
If so, what are the advantages?
What is the best brand(s)?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Have had my Q500 4K for a couple of months now and have flown it a lot and I'm thinking about upgrading the propellers to carbon fiber but I have some questions about carbon fiber props:

Does anyone use them?
If so, what are the advantages?
What is the best brand(s)?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
I considered using them a long time ago. Some of my flying friends bought them, but they eventually went back to the original props.
The carbon props were not exactly the same pitch or shape. During descent one of them got caught in VRS and it crashed hard enough to cause some serious damage to the camera.
The original props are designed to break on impact. That may seem bad until you consider the next point of failure which is the motor and then the ESC. Props are way cheaper than those items.
Carbon fiber also have done some serious damage to people. It's true you can get sliced by any prop but the carbon tends to keep on cutting.

I got a set of mid priced carbon blades.
They were completely out of balance.After balancing they did work but I didn't see an advantage when flying.
I also considered the "Break away" effect of the original blades too.
Over all..... my carbon blades are just spares at this point.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Great! Thanks for the advice. I keep seeing in different places online where people are saying they are better for response/stability and are quieter. Those seem like good attributes but I would like to have a little more proof before I go and buy a set. From what you both said, they aren't worth the extra price.
I had 2 sets of original props and when I had my hard landing, the front two props "broke away" (both an A and B prop) causing me to have to buy another whole set. I still have one full set with a half set as backup and wanted to get some info on the CF ones before I decide to purchase.

Thanks again!

Carbon blades are great for strength.
As you mentioned,If you had carbon blades when it flipped, you might have had to replace motors or ESC's and not just blades.
As for being quieter, they were just slightly quieter.Probably due to the lower pitch.
I rarely have any incidents any more that require prop replacements so I'm happy with the stock blades.
:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval