Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Case Layout and ST16 Antiglare

Reaction score
I've heard questions posted as to how to configure and carry additional items for the H within the original case, so this post is simply to share what has worked for me. If you have additional ideas or techniques that have worked for you, I'd love to see them.

By using an old soldering iron, foam such as the type used by Yuneec for the H is easily removed or reshaped. I've recessed and reformed many of the existing pockets and shape new ones to carry additional batteries and all accessories I need in the field. I was an early adopter for Yuneec's Hardshell Backpack (which I have to say I love), but any of the mods I've done have nothing to do with whatever case you use as long as you are using the stock foam shipping insert the H shipped in.

My mods allow carrying:
(4) stock H batteries (5 if one is also in the bird)
Both FPVL Long Range antennas
Wizard Wand
(6) each A & B Props
I also carry a small soft pouch that fits on the side well opposite the propellers for small tools, additional Micro SD cards, filters, etc.

IMG_20160817_120450_resized.jpg IMG_20160817_120911_resized.jpg
I used 3 inch 5/16 bolts with a stack of 3 large washers turned upside down. These are recessed within the foam a 1/4 inch or so and epoxied in place. Removing foam as needed to provide clearance, I'm able to stack 6 props on each and use wing nuts for quick removal.

Additionally, I'll acknowledge we all struggle with glare on the ST16 screen, especially in bright sunlight. After trying several antiglare phone protectors for testing that I had on hand, I researched Amazon for a good removable antiglare protector and came up with this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R1N5BV2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
On the initial flight with this, it made an immediate difference, so I trimmed and fit to the full viewable area of the screen using a strip of clear packing tape to attach at the top only. This allows simply lifting up the bottom edge to view footage without the antiglare in place.

IMG_20160817_120522_resized.jpg
The timer unit you see at the bottom of my ST16 (made by Polder) is perfect for my needs as I really like to know exactly where I am timewise in my flight. It provides timer up or down with beeper capability and has two small magnets on the back for easy attachment or removal. I just used two steel washers attached with double sided tape, so nothing is permanent. Best of all, the ST16 still fits in its compartment without removing the timer. If you are interested: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G2OT9U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, I'm sure we can all agree the plastic antiglare shield provided by Yuneec is less than ideal, especially when flying with the neckstrap (and I can't imagine flying without one). The only ideal thing about it is it fits within the case and is better than nothing. So, I purchased the one-piece antiglare shield from CarolinaDronz: ST16 shield which attaches/detaches with velcro. With it's extended visor it's still easy to reach underneath for controlling the touch screen, I can only say...I LOVE THIS SHIELD ! But obviously, it wont' fit within the case, so I found the answer without having to carry an extra bag...since it already has velcro, I put a couple matching strips on the top of my backpack. Hands free...works great! :) Sorry for the length of this post.

IMG_20160817_120707_resized.jpg IMG_20160817_134320.jpg

Awesome! What are the little meter looking gadgets on your batteries?

I like the prop holders, I assume you spotted they already made two battery slots, one over where each leg sits, I have 5 batteries and haven't had to modify to hold them, 4 in the pre-built slots and one in the H

Last edited:
Reactions: abinder
What are those charge indicators on your batteries?

I use these on my aeroplane lipos,they simply stick onto the battery and have a slider which you move,one side is red the other is green so you can keep track off charged battery's and used ones,saves you never accidentally putting a used battery in your plane or in this case typhoon h

Reactions: abinder
I use these on my aeroplane lipos,they simply stick onto the battery and have a slider which you move,one side is red the other is green so you can keep track off charged battery's and used ones,saves you never accidentally putting a used battery in your plane or in this case typhoon h
Do you have a link?

I've heard questions posted as to how to configure and carry additional items for the H within the original case, so this post is simply to share what has worked for me. If you have additional ideas or techniques that have worked for you, I'd love to see them.

By using an old soldering iron, foam such as the type used by Yuneec for the H is easily removed or reshaped. I've recessed and reformed many of the existing pockets and shape new ones to carry additional batteries and all accessories I need in the field. I was an early adopter for Yuneec's Hardshell Backpack (which I have to say I love), but any of the mods I've done have nothing to do with whatever case you use as long as you are using the stock foam shipping insert the H shipped in.

My mods allow carrying:
(4) stock H batteries (5 if one is also in the bird)
Both FPVL Long Range antennas
Wizard Wand
(6) each A & B Props
I also carry a small soft pouch that fits on the side well opposite the propellers for small tools, additional Micro SD cards, filters, etc.

View attachment 2533 View attachment 2534
I used 3 inch 5/16 bolts with a stack of 3 large washers turned upside down. These are recessed within the foam a 1/4 inch or so and epoxied in place. Removing foam as needed to provide clearance, I'm able to stack 6 props on each and use wing nuts for quick removal.

Additionally, I'll acknowledge we all struggle with glare on the ST16 screen, especially in bright sunlight. After trying several antiglare phone protectors for testing that I had on hand, I researched Amazon for a good removable antiglare protector and came up with this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R1N5BV2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
On the initial flight with this, it made an immediate difference, so I trimmed and fit to the full viewable area of the screen using a strip of clear packing tape to attach at the top only. This allows simply lifting up the bottom edge to view footage without the antiglare in place.

View attachment 2535
The timer unit you see at the bottom of my ST16 (made by Polder) is perfect for my needs as I really like to know exactly where I am timewise in my flight. It provides timer up or down with beeper capability and has two small magnets on the back for easy attachment or removal. I just used two steel washers attached with double sided tape, so nothing is permanent. Best of all, the ST16 still fits in its compartment without removing the timer. If you are interested: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G2OT9U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, I'm sure we can all agree the plastic antiglare shield provided by Yuneec is less than ideal, especially when flying with the neckstrap (and I can't imagine flying without one). The only ideal thing about it is it fits within the case and is better than nothing. So, I purchased the one-piece antiglare shield from CarolinaDronz: ST16 shield which attaches/detaches with velcro. With it's extended visor it's still easy to reach underneath for controlling the touch screen, I can only say...I LOVE THIS SHIELD ! But obviously, it wont' fit within the case, so I found the answer without having to carry an extra bag...since it already has velcro, I put a couple matching strips on the top of my backpack. Hands free...works great! :) Sorry for the length of this post.

View attachment 2536 View attachment 2537

Thank you this is a brilliant well thought out post. I have just ordered the timer (was worried about magnets but you have no troubles obviously) and will incorporate some of your other ideas into my back pack.

I tried a different anti-glare screen and I could barely see the monitor and kept losing what was being filmed. Thanks for the link, will try that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval