Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CES 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Craig
I thought I was objective comparing what we know about the H520 (which is advertised as a commercial and industrial hex) to the Inspire2.
Indeed.
Just the fast outlook:
TH520: announced $2500-$4500 (oh, it's very hobby price range), with the amateur-level outdated CGO3+ (oooh, with the upgraded optics).

Inspire 2: $6200 in maximum package, include 5.2K videp, 10bit ProRes, CinemaDNG etc (and trust me, this prices difference is nothing for someone who suppose to make money with this birds);
Or $3600 for the set with Zenmuse X4S which will provide the way better video for a budget solution.

Phantom 4 pro+ (hobby drone) $1800 with the mechanical shutter, 1" sensor, 100Mb bitrate, 60 fps 4K... this is the hobby camera which will outperform TH520 regarding production quality!

I don's say that TH520 will need to nobody. But when I read the statement about "professional videography" I want to catch a gun.

Sent from my ASUS_Z016D using Tapatalk

Reactions: rosmo
Also in regards to the "smearing effect" when panning... the couple of times Ive tried it, you will get
better results by slowing down the pan speed in shooting, and then if necessary, speed back up in post
(as opposed to trying to slow down a too fast pan later in post)
also, try the Mercalli. I was very impressed. Just keep in mind that any stabilisation will reduce sharpness and overall quality. stabilization: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3NfmetBmCLd4ivZ45cTq_P5H2WLaxX6q

The problem is: Typhoon H is not a "hobby drone" not by price nor by philosophy and positioning. Q500 is the hobby machine, which I purchased for some commercial usage and I considered the price with features to be appropriate for my needs (temporary). But TH? It's really good platform for many usage, but Yuneec claimed it like the "drone designed for aerial photography", and it is the big fail. This is the PRO-positioned bird which is worst, regarding the final produce's quality, in comparison even with much cheaper Phantom 4 pro+ which is definitely "advanced hobby" drone, not spoken about the more-less same priced Inspire RAW...

Again, a matter of perception. If the H ain't a phantom then get a freaking phantom. This comparison game is a waste of time and creating way too much drama over specs most users don't even comprehend. I'm beyond satisfied with my H capabilities and now that I can see 4k accurately, even happier. It is still a hobby class drone regardless of manufacturer hyperbole. Ask the FAA. It's never going to be a cinema platform and adding a 1" sensor won't make us all get jobs as cinematographers. The broadcast bar is as low as periscope and your camera phone so it's easy to add some better features and say now it's pro or broadcast ready.
I for one am glad that the cameras will be interchangeable and don't think adding orange is stupid. The ridiculous waste of energy of things we have no control over is what's taking the joy out of all things creative. How about a little humble appreciation of being able to even fly and shoot? And how about celebrating a warranty extension? Yup.. Yuneec sucks because they didn't design it right because everyone here is an R and D expert and can run a global corporation better then they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Again, a matter of perception. If the H ain't a phantom then get a freaking phantom. This comparison game is a waste of time and creating way too much drama over specs most users don't even comprehend. I'm beyond satisfied with my H capabilities and now that I can see 4k accurately, even happier. It is still a hobby class drone regardless of manufacturer hyperbole. Ask the FAA. It's never going to be a cinema platform and adding a 1" sensor won't make us all get jobs as cinematographers. The broadcast bar is as low as periscope and your camera phone so it's easy to add some better features and say now it's pro or broadcast ready.
I for one am glad that the cameras will be interchangeable and don't think adding orange is stupid. The ridiculous waste of energy of things we have no control over is what's taking the joy out of all things creative. How about a little humble appreciation of being able to even fly and shoot? And how about celebrating a warranty extension? Yup.. Yuneec sucks because they didn't design it right because everyone here is an R and D expert and can run a global corporation better then they can.

And....so.....has anybody seen that new movie? The one with the big metal ball that can destroy a planet?

Bill W.

Reactions: Ennoia
And....so.....has anybody seen that new movie? The one with the big metal ball that can destroy a planet?

Bill W.

Luke knew what he was doing... he had bad firmware on his x wing and had to go VLOS. Even in a galaxy far far away the technology is flawed. A person piloting saved the day.

Reactions: BillyTexas
Just spent time with Brian Grant from Yuneec. He answered a lot of the questions from above. I'll write up a summary in the next day or so.

In response to the size difference between the Typhoon H and the H520, see below. Bigger motors, slightly longer arms. There will be bigger props too.

The battery for the H520 will NOT be compatible with the Typhoon.

IMG_0818.JPG IMG_0816.JPG IMG_0817.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0820.JPG
    IMG_0820.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
Luke knew what he was doing... he had bad firmware on his x wing and had to go VLOS. Even in a galaxy far far away the technology is flawed. A person piloting saved the day.

I love that comparison

Bill W.

Just spent time with Brian Grant from Yuneec. He answered a lot of the questions from above. I'll write up a summary in the next day or so.

can't wait ;)
for many reasons, I like TH520 platform very much, but for my needs the output quality is critical, so I'm really waiting for deep info about the cameras, and I hope these news will be positive ;)

welcome:
http://yourphoto.nyc
My things for licensing at GettyImages and iStockPhoto:
http://gettyvideo.yourphoto.biz
http://getty.yourphoto.biz
http://istock.yourphoto.biz
My prints, posters and goods for sale (gifts and home&office wall decor): Alex Potemkin Art Photography

Last edited:
Reactions: Ennoia

In response to the size difference between the Typhoon H and the H520, see below. Bigger motors, slightly longer arms. There will be bigger props too.

The battery for the H520 will NOT be compatible with the Typhoon.

View attachment 4626 View attachment 4621 View attachment 4622
I wonder if we could fit the longer arms and motors to our current H. Not sure the FC could handle the difference in flight dynamics.

Will just have to be optimistic that it will be a good platform. Like many new cell phones, computers etc. they release the product and many people have problems with the product, at times there are recalls on the item, software issue and so on and so on.

Also for @ChadCloses if you are in not in rush to buy a new unit then maybe wait a couple months after the new orange unit is out in the market and see what people have to say about it s function.

I got the Q5004k for starters at the same time the Typhoon H was released, I waited a few months to see the reviews of the H, all seemed OK then so I purchased it, and it has preformed good so far. I would like to see much more in its software and of course a good telephoto camera. Tuna has put together some great software for the H.

I am looking forward to see what all the new H520 can do. Longer flight times would also be great, or a dual battery etc. I have been pleased with both my Q5004K and my H. And the H520 may be the next addition.

I do like many of the software features that DJI has for their units, my partner flies the DJI pro 3 and has no problems with it either, he is looking at the pro 4. No matter what you buy today, next month there is a new and improved model. Think back as to when cell phones were coming out the BIG brick you carried around, now we can talk through are watches.

Here are a two I am watching what the reviews are. It all depends on your budget

PowerEye | Professional Camera Drone with Dual Viewing
Aeryon small Unmanned Aerial Systems (sUAS) – Aeryon Labs Inc.

Open minds is how we progress, there will be issues with ALL UAVs

Reactions: Alex Potemkin

Anyone else notice that all the rebellion's x-wings are quads, and the empire's tie fighters (at least the side panels) are hex's?

Think back as to when cell phones were coming out the BIG brick you carried around, now we can talk through are watches.

Ancient technology... Dick Tracy did that back in the 50s... :rolleyes:

Any judgements should be based on the usage pattern, together with the manufacturer's positioning.
The second bird looks just perfect for all usage mentioned by manufacturer. It's probably not a good solution for imaging but manufacturer did not mentioned this, so no complains should be spoken ;)
The first one seems good, except the camera. 60Mb bitrate is not enough for 4k video, which eliminate all advantages of the big sensor and great optics, unfortunately. This is the sample of "unbalanced design" in my opinion. Will be videos from this camera better than from CGO3? Probably yes. Will this difference worth the price, and will this quality match the camera's visible advantages? Probably not ;( these 4/3 sensor and great lenses have no sense with the declared camera's software and codecs.

Welcome:
http://yourphoto.nyc
My things for licensing at GettyImages and iStockPhoto:
http://gettyvideo.yourphoto.biz
http://getty.yourphoto.biz
http://istock.yourphoto.biz
My prints, posters and goods for sale (gifts and home&office wall decor):
http://alexpotemkin.com

This comparing mine to yours stuff is getting really old and tedious. So far I really like my H Pro and have had no issues. I think the Pro moniker gets thrown around a little too much. Kind of like Apple with the new Macbook Pro. Give me a break, nothing but hype and certainly not professional in any way. Or what about that big shiny bag of DeWalt tools made in China? (What you only have the 18v tools? The 20v tools with the platinum anode Li-Ion are way better.)

I don't make money with my drone(s) (yet) so for me it's just a fairly expensive hobby, one which I've spent more on than I care to say especially the Heli's and photographic equipment.

My Sony stuff is good for some work, and my Nikon stuff is good for others. Just because my Nikon's can't do everything my Sony's do or vice versa doesn't make either one bad or junk or the manufactures short sighted because they couldn't anticipate everything I wanted to do and provide me with the best universal all around piece of photographic equipment. That said if I was making money with it, I wouldn't go around comparing mine to theirs or anyone else's. I would research it, buy it (with someone else's money) and make it work because that was the decision I made and I have a job to do. If what I bought didn't work, I wouldn't b-tch about it, I'd buy something else. Kind of like buying a lift truck. Does anyone anywhere else compare their stuff like this? Maybe I need to spend more time on the lift truck forums to see who's bragging and comparing. (Mines triple E rated and has brass forks, does yours?)

Here's the bottom line... regardless of what you choose, if you're a Pro you can make anything you use look good. Pro's don't blame their equipment or compare their equipment, the equipment is just tool, they're more concerned with their work. In another year or two all these arguments/opinions will be moot since there'll always be something better. Maybe by then I can afford one of those old, outdated, and crappy Inspire 2's. At the end of the day who are the real s-ckers here? I'm personally more impressed with the DIY drones you spec, build from a pile of parts and program yourself, not the off the shelf canned stuff that just proves you have some extra expendable income or just a busy professional who doesn't have time to build one. I didn't buy mine as a status symbol or to brag. I just want to have some fun and learn.

I wonder if we could fit the longer arms and motors to our current H. Not sure the FC could handle the difference in flight dynamics.
The size change is not much. The flight controller should be able to handle it. Not sure about the ECS's.

So all this being said would I buy the H520? What does it have to offer me commercially? Orange is of no use and in my opinion makes it look more like a toy. Larger motors and props are not needed, the ones it has now work fine. So as a commercial operator which makes more sense. I'm not saying that as a hobby aircraft it's not any good,because it is very good and in time may be great, but commercially I have to address now, not what might be and much as I love my H I would return it if I could and invest in something else.

If you're in the market for a drone for high end cinematography, you're right, the Typhoon series is probably not for you. Granted the Inspire 2 will cost you quite a bit more, but if you're serious about film making you should be looking at a $6000+ budget these days. Why anyone thinks they can get a drone that costs less than a decent DSLR and expect better results is beyond me. So making the comparison just doesn't make sense to me at all.

That said, don't underestimate the value of larger engines and props. DJI have had to drop the top speed of the Inspire 2 because it turned out it couldn't take stable footage. Not good for car chases :)

If Yuneec are going to challenge the Inspire, it's not going to be with the Typhoon series - unless they bring out an interchangeable lens camera. It's only because DJI took so long to replace the original Inspire that the H looked vaguely competitive. Yuneec's cinematography solution lies with the H920 - and we're all waiting for news on upgrades for that platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erothots