Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CGO-ET - the list of the GET requests is wanted.

Reaction score
The thermal camera CGO-ET for H480 looks to be difficult to obtain. More than that, this now isn't a cutting edge of the cameras. After looking inside today's market, I realize that a FLIR Lepton 3.5 with ESP32-CAM is a good candidate to prepare a lightweight thermal and visual spot camera at a reasonable price.

Some compatibility with Yuneec's ET is welcome, but not strictly necessary.

So, I'll try to collect any information about this camera to prepare a plan of how to be.

Here we go, guys...

Can somebody unpack the FlighMode.apk to take a look inside? I have had my own XML Android parser, but this was written about 10 years ago on one Linux machine, which is here but probably will be difficult to start it and remember what I did there. To go into the ODEX and XML one more time is not necessary. I'm old for this game ;)

FlightMode.apk in the attachment. It's renamed to .zip to meet the site's requirements.

Attachments

• FlightMode.zip
    18.2 MB · Views: 3
I like the idea of a cheaper thermal camera. The ESP32-CAM route is interesting, but because it is on 2.4Ghz WIFI, that seems a little problematic. I wish the ESP32 supported 5GHz WIFI.

DIY replacement camera options would be much easier if we could could select different cameras in the flightmode app. The easiest would be to enable the MK58 module that the Q500 uses. The lines for initializing that camera are in the flightmode apk but commented out. I don't know if you have seen this thread, but this was my experience trying to modify the flightmode APK.

It was beyond on my capabilities for sure.

Dylan

ESP32-S2 will do the job.

For now, I'm talking about ideas only.

Here is one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Irish

This one was discussed before.

So, the topic is almost closed. Only the last about I'm thinking. ST16 uses a standard WiFi module, which can utilize both 2.4 and 5.8 bands. I'm not so sure, the ST switches between bands when works with the camera. The reasonable will be to test its behavior with a fake camera on 2.4 GHz. The very first step is to prepare AP on 2.4 GHz with the same name as CGO. Or to sniff the communication between the devices...

So, the topic is almost closed. Only the last about I'm thinking. ST16 uses a standard WiFi module, which can utilize both 2.4 and 5.8 bands. I'm not so sure, the ST switches between bands when works with the camera. The reasonable will be to test its behavior with a fake camera on 2.4 GHz. The very first step is to prepare AP on 2.4 GHz with the same name as CGO. Or to sniff the communication between the devices...

I'm pretty sure the ST16 never switches between the 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi bands. The cameras videos downlink and some control commands use the 5GHZ wifi. The radio and gimbal commands use the Zigbee module (not wifi) in the 2.4ghz.

You might be ok with a camera on 2.4ghz wifi, but there is definitely overlap between the 2.4GHZ wifi and zigbee channels. I

but there is definitely overlap between the 2.4GHZ wifi and zigbee channels
... and your mobile phone. BTW, the same phone overlaps the camera signal from the drone. Let be serious, guys.

Just I tested and for sure the WiFi module in the ST16 supports 2.4GHZ.

For now, is not clear how the FlightMode.apk differentiates cameras from all other devices. Tried with one old 11bg router to change the SSID to look like CGO3P_XXXXXX where XXXXXX is the last 6 digits from the MAC address. Unfortunately, mine was not only digits but letters too. The router is an old one and can clone MAC from LAN but can't accept MAC directly and so on. In any case, the experiment was not clear enough.

I ordered a Pi 4B, which will come from China in the next 2-3 weeks and I'll go further with the experiments.

BTW the reason to try with the 2.4GHz band is just related to the module price but is not so strict limitation,

Here we talking about a thermal camera, which is used in the near vicinity. So the emitted power can be very low. For sure this will not interfere with the ZigBee communication.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop