Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CGO2+ Gimbal issues (Slow response and random movement)

Reaction score
I'm new to Yuneec and this forum although I have read many threads here and elsewhere trying to determine a solution prior to posting.
Yuneec Q500, CGO2+ gimbal/camera, ST10 controller

My CGO2+ initializes just fine, steady green light & video feed to ST10+ is good. Recording video and capturing pictures are no problem. After a minute or so with the Q500 flat and level (flying or sitting still on a table) the gimbal will briefly torque around before re-centering itself. This cycle repeats every 15 seconds, basically it twitches. The gimbal also lags behind tilt changes, eventually re-leveling itself after a few seconds.
I reset the controller to factory setting. Created a new bind with Q500 and CGO2+ and I have updated the firmware to the CGO2+ via the SD card (the purple light came on). I then connected the Q500 to the GUI on the computer via the USB dongle and proceeded to calibrate the gimbal. The gimbal went through all the axis motions very smoothly and quietly, so there does not seem to be a drive motor or position sensor issue.
But the situation has not improved. Power up the Q500 and the CGO2+ goes to steady green light. It will initially operate normally but only briefly. Then it begins to lag, in other words, tilt the Q500 and the gimbal does not immediately respond, but several seconds later it will level itself. Tilt another direction, same thing, gimbal lags by several seconds, all the while "twitching" every 15 seconds.

I'm trying all the tricks that I've read about, but no solution yet. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm trying all the tricks that I've read about, but no solution yet. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
You've done nearly everything that I could have recommended. Good work BTW.
At this point it's difficult to know if the the problem is in the camera or in the Q500. If you can find someone who has a Q you could test the camera on theirs to find out if it works. Depending on your location, you could also call Yuneec. They still have at least one good tech in the US who works on the Q500.

Reactions: Elcoucho
You've done nearly everything that I could have recommended. Good work BTW.
At this point it's difficult to know if the the problem is in the camera or in the Q500. If you can find someone who has a Q you could test the camera on theirs to find out if it works. Depending on your location, you could also call Yuneec. They still have at least one good tech in the US who works on the Q500.

I sort of did a Red Green Show kind of fix for the camera. After fiddling around with various approaches to no avail, I did something that will allow me to have a semi usable camera while flying:
I unplugged the yaw & roll motor plugs from the main board & tucked them out of the way. Then taped the gimbal's yaw & roll pivots fixed in their neutral positions. When I first power up the Q500 I roll it on it's right edge (90 degrees). The CGO2+ initializes and goes steady green without beeping and flashing (If initialized in flat orientation it will beep and stay red). Now the gimbal pitch control will work, yaw & roll are obviously disconnected and secured with tape. This is fine by me, now I've got a stead-ish camera view that I can still pitch up and down. Live view, pics and video are functioning, which is honestly fine by me. I spent next to nothing on this Q500 and really only wanted it to mess with a bigger bird like this to expand my experience.
In the meantime if I want to do anything cinematic and schnazzy, I'll pull my DJI Spark out of my pocket and get beautiful shots.
Please note: I'm still open to any proper fixes for the CGO2+!

So I ordered a brand new CGO3 for $250 from an Amazon seller :
https://www.amazon.com/YUNEEC-CGO3-...UTF8&qid=1519337880&sr=8-1&keywords=q500+cgo3
It arrived today...new, sealed in box with extra slide mount, an SD to Micro SD adapter and a micro SD in the camera. Connected to Q500 with supplied cable and did a new Bind with the Q500 and CGO3....It works like a champ. Super fast gimbal response and perfect video feed. I'll get it up in the air when the weather improves, but it looks like a winner. Great deal on a new unit.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stone