Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CGO3+ antenna mod

He talked about changing the orientation of the antenna 90° polarization would have everything to do with this discussion
Again you are confusing polarization with orientation. Two completely different properties. Changing the "Orientation" of an Omni antenna does not change its "Polarization". I suggest you read up on the difference before pushing the point further.

I stand by my statement, Polarization has nothing to do with the discussion.

Again you are confusing polarization with orientation. Two completely different properties. Changing the "Orientation" of an antenna does not change its "Polarization". I suggest you read up on the difference before pushing the point further.

I stand by my statement, Polarization has nothing to do with the discussion.
hahaha, really?!

hahaha, really?!

Please, try not to mock the facts. It would be wise to study the subject further before pushing the point. You are confusing "Polarization" with "Orientation". These are two completely different properties on an antenna. If you orient an Omni directional (elliptical) antenna, you only change the direction of the propagation pattern (Horizontal/Vertical), NOT it's polarization properties.

Polarization may be classified as linear, circular, or elliptical depending on the properties of the polarization ellipse. If the ellipse has equal minor and major axis it transforms into a circle. In that case we say that the antenna is circularly polarized (and the propagation pattern is no longer elliptical, but directional instead). If the ellipse has no minor axis it transforms into a straight line, In that case we say that the antenna is linearly polarized.

An Omni antenna regardless of orientation has a doughnut shape pattern, a circular polarized antenna regardless of orientation has a cylindrical shape pattern, and is essentially a very directional beam. When you say the antenna you are using on the camera is a coaxial polarized antenna, this is not consistent with aerial camera imaging needs, only for a stationary wireless camera.

If you would like more in depth information on the subject of Polarization and the distinction between Orientation, please start a private conversation with me. I would happy to share my knowledge on the subject.

Last edited:
Please, try not to mock the facts. It would be wise to study the subject further before pushing the point. You are confusing "Polarization" with "Orientation". These are two completely different properties on an antenna. If you orient an Omni directional (elliptical) antenna, you only change the direction of the propagation pattern (Horizontal/Vertical), NOT it's polarization properties.

Polarization may be classified as linear, circular, or elliptical depending on the properties of the polarization ellipse. If the ellipse has equal minor and major axis it transforms into a circle. In that case we say that the antenna is circularly polarized (and the propagation pattern is no longer elliptical, but directional instead). If the ellipse has no minor axis it transforms into a straight line, In that case we say that the antenna is linearly polarized.

An Omni antenna regardless of orientation has a doughnut shape pattern, a circular polarized antenna regardless of orientation has a cylindrical shape pattern, and is essentially a very directional beam. When you say the antenna you are using is a coaxial polarized antenna, this is not consistent with aerial imaging needs, only for a stationary wireless camera.

If you would like more in depth information on the subject of Polarization and the distinction between Orientation, please start a private conversation with me. I would happy to share my knowledge on the subject.
For my part it's always nice to have the info posted publicly as long as it's not PatR or Steve Carr posting it!

My problem is that thing called memory rentendezion! I thoroughly researched antennas when I got my directional antenna for the video on the st16's I own. That research has pretty much completely fallen out of my head along with many other useful facts. Such is old age and brain damage!

BTW I've noticed significant video improvements on my 480's and 920's with the directional antenna I purchased or maybe I'm just remembering it better!

Reactions: DCH
I may try that longer coax. Do you have a link to a source?
Lumenier AXII U.FL 5.8GHz Antenna (LHCP)
If there's a site sponsor I would go through them first.
This is the antenna that I installed, this was directly plug into the Wi-Fi card in the camera. You have to cut a small little slot in the gimbal lock and a little square out of the foam in the backpack. This made a huge difference. But I also recommend replacing the 2.4ghz antennas. I use modified Cisco aironet antennas used you can get them, $8- $15. Because there's a little bit of a leg when it switches control from 2.4ghz to 5.8. But hey, where do you stop? I replaced all the coax inside the st16 plus added shielding to both controller and craft. Don't get sucked into buying any amplifiers I don't care what anybody says those do not work.

Reactions: Adamg1180
I got my directional antenna for the video on the st16's I own.....BTW I've noticed significant video improvements on my 480's and 920's with the directional antenna I purchased

Yes, a directional RX antenna on the ST16 is a vast improvement over the Mushroom Omni it comes with, here is where you want directional abilities. However the camera must always use an Omni antenna, one of two points I was trying to clarify above. There is a lot of RF going on in both directions, requiring antennas of different types, perhaps others have some confusion on the difference in function and where each type works best.

I don't want to tell anyone what to use, I only want to correct misnomers and clear up misconceptions. ...And poke my @Steve Carr Voodoo doll with another pin every now and then!;)

Reactions: thoneter
Yes, a directional RX antenna on the ST16 is a vast improvement over the Mushroom Omni it comes with, here is where you want directional abilities. However the camera must always use an Omni antenna, one of two points I was trying to clarify above. There is a lot of RF going on in both directions, requiring antennas of different types, perhaps others have some confusion on the difference in function and where each type works best.

I don't want to tell anyone what to use, I only want to correct misnomers and clear up misconceptions. ...And poke my @Steve Carr Voodoo doll with another pin every now and then!;)
My problem is that Steve is no fun to make fun of. I keep giving him crap and it never comes back. Where do they sell those voo doo dolls?

Reactions: Steve Carr
Since my memory retention is embarrassing I had to go and find my post of the directional antennas I purchased. As you say not an endorsement but a decent upgrade at a low investment.

For the range issue I pretty confident I have a cheap solution. I have 2 920's and 4 st24's. The video range on the st24's make the st16's look like TV tower transmitters.
I put this on Video Aerial Systems VAS 5.8Ghz Crosshair Antenna (LHCP) [VASCH-5800-L] | FPV Racing with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07844ZD5G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and went from 600 feet to 9800 feet with my 920.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Since my memory retention is embarrassing I had to go and find my post of the directional antennas I purchased. As you say not an endorsement but a decent upgrade at a low investment.

For the range issue I pretty confident I have a cheap solution. I have 2 920's and 4 st24's. The video range on the st24's make the st16's look like TV tower transmitters.
I put this on Video Aerial Systems VAS 5.8Ghz Crosshair Antenna (LHCP) [VASCH-5800-L] | FPV Racing with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07844ZD5G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and went from 600 feet to 9800 feet with my 920.
I love VAS. Have the crosshair, just got the crosshair extreme.

I love VAS. Have the crosshair, just got the crosshair extreme.
Other than the name what does the extreme do over the non extreme? Are you referring to the pepperbox extreme?

As long as the polarization matches from H to ST16 couldn't you use either LHCP or RHCP?

As long as the polarization matches from H to ST16 couldn't you use either LHCP or RHCP?
It should as long as the transmitter and the receiver antenna's are the same polarization. A good rule of thumb is to use the least popular for the best quality signal.

Lumenier AXII U.FL 5.8GHz Antenna (LHCP)
If there's a site sponsor I would go through them first.
This is the antenna that I installed, this was directly plug into the Wi-Fi card in the camera. You have to cut a small little slot in the gimbal lock and a little square out of the foam in the backpack. This made a huge difference. But I also recommend replacing the 2.4ghz antennas. I use modified Cisco aironet antennas used you can get them, $8- $15. Because there's a little bit of a leg when it switches control from 2.4ghz to 5.8. But hey, where do you stop? I replaced all the coax inside the st16 plus added shielding to both controller and craft. Don't get sucked into buying any amplifiers I don't care what anybody says those do not work.

Did you connect this antenna directly to the WiFi board in your camera? If so do you have images? What kind of improvement did you get?

Attachments

• 5FF299F9-76CE-458F-BB0C-C3AC410281F0.png
    5FF299F9-76CE-458F-BB0C-C3AC410281F0.png
    508.1 KB · Views: 19

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludwig