Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CGO3 Camera Just Dropped Off of the Drone!

I will look into that. I'll troy to call them on Monday. Have not heard anything from them through their website. Thanks.
Don't mention my name or you'll get pushed aside so fast your belt will come loose. They frown on "others" reading the telemetry. :)

Reactions: Dr Delta
They don’t like talking to people that know more about the systems than they do. Generates a sense of inadequacy.

Reactions: Steve Carr
As a 'last resort' measure to prevent the loss of the camera & gimbal, I pass a loop of fine fishing line through the hole in the centre of the left rear rubber mount and a small hole drilled in the base of the antenna mounting tube (next to the landing gear leg). As I use two cameras with different lenses I need to make the camera/gimbal interchangeable, so I make two loops, one through the rubber mount, the other through the antenna tube base, then join them with two small fishing line connector hooks.

You should have a safety line attached and tied off to camera mount. Heavy fishing line through camera rubber mounts.

Has this happened to anyone? Last night while flying my H in order to discharge my batteries for storage, The darn camera just fell off of my drone! I was in the parking lot at a local park and about 35 to 45 feet above the ground. I had sent the drone out and was returning back to base. I was not making any aggressive movements with the drone. I had glanced up towards the drone and saw a flash of light come from the display. I looked down and the controller was then displaying the home screen. I thought what the heck! I then glanced back up at the drone and it was still in the air. Then heard an audible crash as something hit the asphalt. What the heck! I flew the drone got closer, I then realized what made the noise and that the camera was gone and had fallen off the drone! I was not running the video at the time and did not hear or see anything hit the camera. At the spot where the camera was laying on the ground there were no trees, no overhead power lines nor were there any birds out flying nor any person around. The nearest tree was 50 to 75 feet away. Upon landing and inspecting the drone I discovered the Camera Mount Top Plate was still attached to the Gimbal Connection Mount. However the pins had broken loose and the rubber bushings were gone. There is extensive damage to the camera! Submitted a support ticket to Yuneec least night and am awaiting a response. Needless to say I am very disappointed.

Go to Home Depot and purchase a bag of tiny plastic ties. secure one or two ends through the rubber grommet. ..not tight at all 'cause it could affect the smoothness of the video recording.

I actually have some in my spare parts kit and had planned to do just that as soon as I had free time. Just waited one flight too long.
Just want to clear up why I thought I had a camera mount malfunction. Neither the top or bottom rails were damaged in anyway. Both in perfect condition. Usually when someone crashes their drone, it seems the rails take the most damage.

Go to Home Depot and purchase a bag of tiny plastic ties. secure one or two ends through the rubber grommet. ..not tight at all 'cause it could affect the smoothness of the video recording.
Plastic ties are good. I use a couple on my P2V+ mounted through the diagonal holes that don't have the 'drop safe' pins. For some reason I can't explain here, I've never gotten around to using them on the H480. Something that I'll remedy in short order.

Has this happened to anyone? Last night while flying my H in order to discharge my batteries for storage, The darn camera just fell off of my drone! I was in the parking lot at a local park and about 35 to 45 feet above the ground. I had sent the drone out and was returning back to base. I was not making any aggressive movements with the drone. I had glanced up towards the drone and saw a flash of light come from the display. I looked down and the controller was then displaying the home screen. I thought what the heck! I then glanced back up at the drone and it was still in the air. Then heard an audible crash as something hit the asphalt. What the heck! I flew the drone got closer, I then realized what made the noise and that the camera was gone and had fallen off the drone! I was not running the video at the time and did not hear or see anything hit the camera. At the spot where the camera was laying on the ground there were no trees, no overhead power lines nor were there any birds out flying nor any person around. The nearest tree was 50 to 75 feet away. Upon landing and inspecting the drone I discovered the Camera Mount Top Plate was still attached to the Gimbal Connection Mount. However the pins had broken loose and the rubber bushings were gone. There is extensive damage to the camera! Submitted a support ticket to Yuneec least night and am awaiting a response. Needless to say I am very disappointed.
Very strange. I would not expect the GPS to just drop out and the heading change to zero at the same time. The GPS came back on shortly after but the heading took about 40 seconds to go back to 227.
I'm wondering if you should talk to Yuneec regarding that. You could look at some of the other flights and see if you see anything similar.
What type of conection holds the two plates together ie plastic, metal bolts, screws etc.

The camera and gimbal are attached to the mounting base on the bottom of the aircraft by four rubber isolation dampeners and secured through two drop down pins.

And your description of the retention method is why something is fishy about the thread topic. Neither the two corner safeties or the 4 damper balls just fall off. Some precursors appear to have been omitted.

Good luck on getting any response from Yuneec. I just finished a 6 month battle with them on a warranty repair and they wouldn't take any responsibility for an obvious warranty issue.
As for your camera issue, I had a Blade before my Typhoon H and the design of the camera mount on the Blade was much better but I did have my camera come off during a minor crash. My solution was to thread small tie wraps through each of the 4 rubber mounts. Loosely tighten the tie wraps so they don't interfere with the function of the rubber mounts. The camera never came loose again.
Another thing that makes the tie wraps so important is that on the Typhoon H they removed the connector between the camera and the mount so if the camera does come off it usually breaks the wires at the ring and doesn't leave enough wire for a repair. I had it happen.

Reactions: Steve Carr
The camera and gimbal are attached to the mounting base on the bottom of the aircraft by four rubber isolation dampeners and secured through two drop down pins.

I just added a response below about the isolation dampeners. I had a minor crash with my Blade, which has a similar dampening design and the pins failed to retain the camera to the mount. The Blade has a connector between the camera and the mount and there was no damage so I just reconnected it but they removed the connector on the Typhoon H and broken wires may occur. I replaced the pins with small tie wraps loosely tightened so as not to interfere with the function of the rubber dampers. Never came off again.

The retention pins are present to prevent separation in flight, not to prevent separation during a crash. Prior to consumer drones camera rigs used gimbals with one or more damper balls per corner and it was found rough flying or heavy cameras could separate from the gimbal in a “suspended” mount. Because of that loose zip ties and fishing line was employed as means to prevent total separation in flight. That’s why only two corners have them, it’s all that’s needed to prevent the camera from completely falling off in flight. Consumer drone makers learned this from the DIY crowd. Nothing is designed to survive a crash. Minimize damage perhaps but there’s no such thing as guaranteed damage avoidance in a crash. If they were built to survive a crash they would be too heavy to get off the ground.

Reactions: rdonson
RealSense may have spotted it and maybe not. You would have to test it to see.
I'm curious about some of the values in the telemetry. Prior to starting the motors, do you recall turning off the GPS and then turning it back on?

I had called Yuneec and asked about RealSense, apparently it only works in Follow Me Mode. Were you in Follow Me?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz