Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CGO3+ Field Of View

Reaction score
For some reason I've always been under the impressing that the Typhoon H had a wider Field of View (FOV) than the Phantom.... At least it seemed that way due to the outer lens distortion. In reality the Phantom has a 94 degree FOV and the Typhoon has a 98 degree FOV.

Here are two snapshots from a video flying over the same terrain at 100 feet. The FOV is pretty much the same in appearance (any differences are due to the placement of the horizon... Phantom has more sky and is pointing slightly left compared to Typhoon H which has less sky and is pointing more right ).

FIRST PICTURE is the PHANTOM
SECOND PICTURE is the TYPHOON

100 FEET PHANTOM.jpg

100 TYPHOON H.jpg

Last edited:
Why did you delete the fotos? It was interesting in that the yuneec photo was well defined and looked good. No idea what settings you were using.

Not trying to start a row but image quality on the Typhoon H one was way ahead of the Phantom.

The first two photos I had uploaded were a mistake on my part (I selected the wrong file names). It was in fact a Typhoon H photo capture from a video, but the other photo which looked less impressive was not from a Phantom but actually the Typhoon when pilots select the wrong image settings. I've now corrected my error with the two correct photos now showing above.

I still think that if they had used a 85-90 FOV lens quality would be even better.
That small of a sensor is really pushing things to be real wide. Not to mention smaller FOV would provide for less motor arms in shots.
Looks like you have it dialed in about as good as it will get Capt.

More interesting is the fact that in Europe the TH is stated to have a camera with 115 degree fov.

Sorry, I was not comparing video/image quality but rather just the FOV.

Yep have a look on Yuneec.uk the camera is stated as having a distortion free 115 degree field of view,don't really understand why it's different in Europe to the u.s but,that's what it says!

I'm inclined to believe the product specs changed worldwide and not all of the websites were updated to reflect this. I don't think different markets get different lenses.

Is there any settings better than others for less distortion in stills?
I'm getting some really bent builds that I can't correct in post. Our Clocktower looks like the leaning tower of pisa.

Is there any settings better than others for less distortion in stills?
I'm getting some really bent builds that I can't correct in post. Our Clocktower looks like the leaning tower of pisa.
If you are getting distortion then there's not much you can do about it without correcting in post. I have a Phantom 2 Vision Plus that produces quite distorted still images. To correct those images I use a prog called 'GIMP'. You can get it here, it's free. GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Yuneec specs say that the CGO3+ has a 98 degree FOV. That's pretty wide and I think identical to the DJI P4.

All lenses will distort under certain circumstances. The photographer needs to be aware of the qualities of the lens being used and the distance to the subject. Wide lens will alway distort as you get closer to objects, mostly in the vertical plane.

Share the photo in question and I'll have a go at correcting the distortion with the Adobe suite.

What software are you using in post?

If you are getting distortion then there's not much you can do about it without correcting in post. I have a Phantom 2 Vision Plus that produces quite distorted still images. To correct those images I use a prog called 'GIMP'. You can get it here, it's free. GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program
I've tried gimp. I have removed the lens from a P3P camera. I'm going to see if it'll fit.
20180707_144437.jpeg20180707_144634.jpeg20180707_145518.jpeg20180707_160917.jpeg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval