Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CGO3+ Filters, video comparison (CPL, UV, ND8, Stock)

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing great!

Up until now I've been using the CGO3+ camera as it is, but I stumbled upon a fairly cheap set of filters, which I thought would be perfect to play around with to get different flavors out of the footage captured with the Typhoon H.

I looked around the forum and there's been a bit of discussion here and there, but not a lot of side to side comparisons; there's a particular lack of video comparisons. Given I'm mostly interested in video capture with the H I decided to plan a very simple flight to compare the footage using 3 different filters plus the stock one.

My personal favorites at the moment are the UV filter, which gives very nice colors (specially off the trees), and the ND8 filter which gives a nice flat image with a very interesting balance between highlights and shadows. (the set also includes an ND4 but I just skipped that one) I was looking forward for the CPL filter, it does look good but it doesn't show as much as it could (given there aren't too many reflections on this particular setting). However, the weight of the filter itself throws off the balance of the gimbal, and very soon you'll see how that's a Huge problem, so I don't think I would be using it a lot unless I find a way to balance the gimbal.

These videos are completely unaltered with no image post-processing, all raw from the CGO3+ camera.

Camera settings:
Video Resolution: 2560x1440 30fps (40mbps)
White Balance: sunrise/sunset preset.
ISO/Shutter: Auto
Image setting: Natural
Filter brand: Neewer

Just in case anyone is interested, there are a few variations of these sets, the one I got is this one (CPL, UV, ND4, ND8, Optical glass and Alluminum allow frame): http://a.co/67if5AK

Greetings!

One thought.... CPL filters are most effective when the camera is 90 degrees to the sun.

The CPL has to be adjusted for the light by turning the outer ring. Since you're panning and there is no way to continue to turn the outer ring then its polarizing effect is minimized.

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
I purchased and did tests with the Neewer filters. The UV has a place in certain situations. I find it best to use nothing other than correct camera settings to get the most from the CGO3+. Natural mode then manually white balancing, in the existing light with a white balance card and locking it and then choosing manual exposure settings for the scene you want to capture. Sometimes that means changing the exposure in flight prior to a pass is what is needed to get the best results. Here is a link of a sample flight with the stock Yuneec filter/lens cover and manual settings which are listed at the intro of the video.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew Grant
I was looking forward for the CPL filter, it does look good but it doesn't show as much as it could (given there aren't too many reflections on this particular setting). However, the weight of the filter itself throws off the balance of the gimbal, and very soon you'll see how that's a Huge problem, so I don't think I would be using it a lot unless I find a way to balance the gimbal.
You might try taping a penny or other appropriate weight to the back of the camera to balance out the filter. The camera should hang level with no power applied.

Reactions: Andrew Grant

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval