Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CHARGER DIFFERENCES

Reaction score
THE QUESTION IS... What is the difference between the Regular charge mode and the quick charge mode. Obviously, that is a self explanatory question but I almost wonder there must be a reason for this because why would a person want to wait 2 hours if something could be done in 1 hour.
Does this fast charge deplete the amount of charges, does the batter not last as long etc.

PART TWO OF THE BATTERY QUESTIONS

I'm new to this charger and also to owning the Q500. I used the charger for the first time today. I just charged one battery to get familiar. It says in the book that this battery is an 5300mah and 11.1 volts so in setting the charger to balance I set the perimeters at 5.4 amp and 11.1 v as the charge rate. Then fired it up.
Then in the book it says never charge over 12.6 v or 4.2 v per cell. I take that to mean 4.20, so as the charger is running it is supposed to shutout off when done but I was watching it and when all 3 cells got to 4.20 it didn't shut off so before it would get to 4.21 I shut it down. So my question is , is this supposed to shut off or is it enquirer to set something time wise.

I'm new to this charger and also to owning the Q500. I used the charger for the first time today. I just charged one battery to get familiar. It says in the book that this battery is an 5300mah and 11.1 volts so in setting the charger to balance I set the perimeters at 5.4 amp and 11.1 v as the charge rate. Then fired it up.
Then in the book it says never charge over 12.6 v or 4.2 v per cell. I take that to mean 4.20, so as the charger is running it is supposed to shutout off when done but I was watching it and when all 3 cells got to 4.20 it didn't shut off so before it would get to 4.21 I shut it down. So my question is , is this supposed to shut off or is it enquirer to set something time wise.
I don't think your charger is going to shut off just as soon as it gets to 4.20 per cell...it still has to charge some more to enable the battery to stay at 4.20 per cell

I use an aftermarket charger also. I used to charge at 4.5 amps but I have cut back to 2.5 so the battery stays cooler when it charges and doesn't tend to bulge as much after many charge cycles. The charger should shut off automatically if you have it set for 12.6v or 4.2v per cell. Balance charging is preferred.

hi
the first thing you have to do is set the MAh cut off of the battery ( the manual dos not cover this one very important thing at least mine didn't ) you are charging in your case the battery is 5300 MAh then when you set the amps it would be 5.3 , when the charger reaches 5300 MAh it will stop charging . your charger has a timer cut off also i set mine at 120 minutes that will be your preference . read the manual , go on line to you tube has a lot of videos on your charger . i have a Hitec 4X plus charger but they work just about the same , below is a file that's worth a read although it's for my charger you mite pick up some good points . one good thing to remember is to always charge your battery at the MAh printed on the battery that is 1C .

Attachments

• Hitec _ Venom Charger Guide — Roger's Hobby Center.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 7
hi
always balance charge your batteries . regular will charge at the rate you set fast will increase the amps , what you don't want .
Good advice. So basically I set the charger where it says balance charger and then hit the start charge button.
I am a little confused. When I charged the battery this afternoon I figured I'd give the fast charge a go and see how it works out. I guess it was about 45 minutes maybe and that was from a storage point. I don't know if that's fast or slow as I have nothing to compact too. While charging g I did flip the + and - buttons which basically scrolls thru the menu and even tho it was on fast charge it was balance charging them when I clicked on the Meter feature. On the screen it showed all three cells each with there respective voltage reading and they all seemed to go up somewhat together, so to me even tho it was set on fast charge it was still balancing . Is it possible you don't have the same charger.

I don't think your charger is going to shut off just as soon as it gets to 4.20 per cell...it still has to charge some more to enable the battery to stay at 4.20 per cell
Chewman I think you are right because when I stopped it al 4.2 I check it a little later and I think it was reading around 4.17 so it also sounds like your saying I turned it off before it had a chance to shut off automatically .

You know when you read the manual and it says do not charge over 4.2 or discharge under 3.0 or you will invariably cause irreversible damage.... So when this didn't shut off within maybe 7 seconds I said I better shut it down or else I'm screwed!! In your opinion I mean do they really go to far with this or is there a buffer so to speak

I use an aftermarket charger also. I used to charge at 4.5 amps but I have cut back to 2.5 so the battery stays cooler when it charges and doesn't tend to bulge as much after many charge cycles. The charger should shut off automatically if you have it set for 12.6v or 4.2v per cell. Balance charging is preferred.

Ok Steve I will take your advise about used the balance charge mode. I don't understand what you mean with 4.5 and cutting back to 2.5. I set the charge rate like the manual told me which is 5.4 per cell and 11.1 and at those charge rates the book is saying the charger will shut down and the screen will read finished and a thingy dingy will play a tune

Good advice. So basically I set the charger where it says balance charger and then hit the start charge button.
I am a little confused. When I charged the battery this afternoon I figured I'd give the fast charge a go and see how it works out. I guess it was about 45 minutes maybe and that was from a storage point. I don't know if that's fast or slow as I have nothing to compact too. While charging g I did flip the + and - buttons which basically scrolls thru the menu and even tho it was on fast charge it was balance charging them when I clicked on the Meter feature. On the screen it showed all three cells each with there respective voltage reading and they all seemed to go up somewhat together, so to me even tho it was set on fast charge it was still balancing . Is it possible you don't have the same charger.
you should place the battery in balance mode when you charge your LIPO battery , the reason is in your S3 LIPO battery there are 3 cells each will charge to 4.20 volts = 12.6 , a fully charged battery , the Q will draw equal power from each cell in the battery .many people just fast charge their batteries and every third or fourth charge ballance charge , and that's OK also but for your batteries to last longer and stay stronger balance charge them always , it will take longer that's for sure .

go to this site . read the entire file .
A Guide to Understanding LiPo Batteries
this is another file
A Comprehensive Guide to Working with LiPo batteries · klpanagi/Pandora_Wiki Wiki · GitHub
sorry for all the reading material , nobody made a movie yet

Hey NRR GUY, Aren't you the guy from Germany. I watched one of your videos. Ok I just printed this manual. It looks like 20 pages. I think I understand the difference with the fast charge vs the balanced charger and maybe just in an emergency use the fast charge. You are very nice to share so much advise with me. I appreciate all you have done so far. You are very kind

You are very knowledgeable and explain things very well although I don't understand the mAh cutoff thing. I will print the other articles as well. Since you know a lot about batteries and the Q500 if you fly the aircraft for its full capacity let's say, 25 minutes give or take. How long or what do you see in time for charging if you compair a fast charge vs a balanced charge mode. Also what I wrote yesterday in regard to mAh I stated5300 equated to 5.3 that was a typo as the Yuneec battery is 5400 (5.4)

Wow I think maybe these articles are more then I need. I do like to educate myself but not to the point of becoming an electrical engineer Lol. Nevertheless I have an expensive printer that shoots off 20 pages in about 30 seconds and in pretty colors

Hey NRR GUY, Aren't you the guy from Germany. I watched one of your videos. Ok I just printed this manual. It looks like 20 pages. I think I understand the difference with the fast charge vs the balanced charger and maybe just in an emergency use the fast charge. You are very nice to share so much advise with me. I appreciate all you have done so far. You are very kind

You are very knowledgeable and explain things very well although I don't understand the mAh cutoff thing. I will print the other articles as well. Since you know a lot about batteries and the Q500 if you fly the aircraft for its full capacity let's say, 25 minutes give or take. How long or what do you see in time for charging if you compair a fast charge vs a balanced charge mode. Also what I wrote yesterday in regard to mAh I stated5300 equated to 5.3 that was a typo as the Yuneec battery is 5400 (5.4)
hi
i live in the staten island N.Y. .
the first thing to do is set the MAh cut off .
like i said this was not covered in my manual , i called Hitec customer service and asked about it .in the file i sent you page 5 covers it . go to post 7 . (open pdf )
you can fly as long as your batteries have power , i will land at the first warring ( vibration ) . i also fly by timer , get to know your batteries then set a timer to what you think is the time to land . there are so many things that will ware your batteries down like wind that your drone fight and the age of your battery and how many charges they have on them , number your batteries and use them in order .i don't think that you will get 25 minutes the best is about 20 . have fun .
fly safe

Attachments

• CAP CUT OFF.pdf
    249.6 KB · Views: 3
Hmm! Ok I have the wrong guy , but Staten Island is good. I'm 50 miles from there. How do you fly on SI with all those airports? The cut-off procedure looks simple enough. Just what exactly is it doing and is this needed to be done on every charge cycle or does it remain forever until manually changed

Hmm! Ok I have the wrong guy , but Staten Island is good. I'm 50 miles from there. How do you fly on SI with all those airports? The cut-off procedure looks simple enough. Just what exactly is it doing and is this needed to be done on every charge cycle or does it remain forever until manually changed

not every cycle , only when you have a battery with a different MAh it dose no make a difference if it is a lipo . NMh or nicad , it will hold it in the memory .
i am no where near a five mile NFZ .

Im blown away on some of this stuff. I still don't know what this cut off is for and what it's doing and I ask because there's no mention of this in the manual which you also indicated. I'm ok with doing this , but I just don't know what it is, what its cutting off, whether it is required, etc. just alot of unknowns.

Im blown away on some of this stuff. I still don't know what this cut off is for and what it's doing and I ask because there's no mention of this in the manual which you also indicated. I'm ok with doing this , but I just don't know what it is, what its cutting off, whether it is required, etc. just alot of unknowns.
hi
OK , your battery has 5400 MAh total , now you fly and takeout 3000 MAH . when you charge your battery and your MAh cutoff is set to a 5400 it will only put 3000 MAh back and cut off the charging when 5400 MAh is reached . most chargers with this feature are factory set at 5000 MAh cutoff , some chargers have an auto cycle , it reads the MAh and peak chargers the battery . just remember to set your charge amps to 5.4 amps ( 1C ) or what the label on the battery reads . i know that the Yuneec 5400 MAh battery is really a 6300 but i only charge what's on the battery label . you also have a timer cutoff and a thermal cutoff .one of the best features is the memory , load all the info and save it then when you want to charge a different battery with a different MAh , just download the program ( make sure the cutoff is set to the correct MAh ) . if you have questions that we can't answer call Hitec they have all the answers about your charger , i know it's a little hard to understand the in's and out's of the new charger but once you understand them it's the best tool for your batteries .

Oboy! So with all this new information about the batteries being 6300 and not 5400 you are saying you still leave things at 5400?. Is that only because you feel you want to play it safe?. When I charged the other day I did that quick charge thing and it was set at 5.4 and 11.1 which is what it says on battery. So when I hook up the two batteries then I just want to make sure that on channel A and B that they say the same which is the 5.4 and 11.1
The confusion I have is this darn mistake and that its 6300mAh and that the charge rate can be 6.3 and the volt setting at 10.6. If this is the true mah on the battery why do you leave it at the 5400. I think another person wrote in response to a question I had which was its sound like the 6.3 is a better thing and the answer to that was it would make no difference in the amount of flight time and that it would be less time charging. That answer did not make sense!!! If it's 6.3 and not 5.4 how does not mean less time charging

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval